Does the Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 support 3TB HDD (WD30EFRX)?

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of building an unRAID server with some pieces of my old computer and some new ones.  My question is quite simple.  I've read at some site that in order to support 3TB hdd, you need a UEFI BIOS.  Then, I've also read that as long as you don't want to boot from this drive, you don't need anything special to support 3TB hard drive.  So, who is right, who is wrong.  I have a Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 (no UEFI bios) and I would like to know if it will support 3TB hdd with the latest build of unRAID server.

Thank you very much for your time and help

Draven

Edit #1 (2012-11-15) : Thanx BobPhoenix for the quick response.  I will start with three WD30EFRX since it was a shell shocker yesterday (2012-11-14) at the egg.  I'll post development of my build in the appropriate forum section hoping it will help someone.

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of building an unRAID server with some pieces of my old computer and some new ones.  My question is quite simple.  I've read at some site that in order to support 3TB hdd, you need a UEFI BIOS.  Then, I've also read that as long as you don't want to boot from this drive, you don't need anything special to support 3TB hard drive.  So, who is right, who is wrong.  I have a Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 (no UEFI bios) and I would like to know if it will support 3TB hdd with the latest build of unRAID server.

Thank you very much for your time and help

Draven

A UEFI bios virtually guarantees that 3TB drives are supported but you only need a UEFI bios to BOOT from the drive.  I have a ASUS P5Q-EM MB (ICH10R chipset) that recognizes 3TB drives just fine as long as I don't try to boot from them.  I use it as my unRAID pre-clearing station.