My first unRaid build

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought my parts for my new server. The server will be used for pushing media to an HTPC running XBMC as well as storing some pictures and documents from various computers in the house.

Eventually I was to put SAB/SB on it though that will be a little ways in the future.

Eskro thanks for pushing me towards unRaid and thanks ccruzen for posting your results with the C60M1-I

Case: Lian Li Q25B ($90)

Motherboard/CPU: ASUS C60M1-I ($80)

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT ($20)

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 430W 80Plus certified ATX12V ($18 after Mail-in-rebate)

Total: $208

I managed to get most of the parts pretty cheap due to the recent sales so I was pretty happy about that. Now onto the build.

Parts started to come in

20121114174556.jpg

Board mounted and RAM added

20121115170400.jpg

Running Memtest before putting everything in

20121115175430.jpg

Backplane (need to get more right angle cables)

20121115200012.jpg

Everything tucks nicely above the PSU next to the top fan

20121115201539.jpg

In the spare bedroom preclearing some drives

20121115204205.jpg

The case actually had a little more room than I was expecting which was nice. Other than forgetting to put the IO panel on then cutting my finger trying to slide it in the build went quick and easy.

Nice thread! 

I am planning almost the same build but I heard the Asus C60M1-I is not powerful enough to run addons like SAB/SB/CP and MySQL.  What do you think?

If so I may opt for the ASUS P8H77-I (6 SATA ports!) with Intel G620.  Those will cost $150 however.

Keep us posted on performance.

Wow, that's the exact setup I'd like to build myself one day, just waiting for some spare cash.

Please let us know if the motherboard plays nicely with SAB/CP/SB.

No NIC problems?

I think it would run those apps just fine. Might take a bit longer to unpack. I ran the same apps on a Qnap Nas with a dual core Atom 1.6ghz plus Plex. Worked great aall but except transcoding on Plex. My brother run them on a Arm base Nas.

No NIC issues at all with the latest 5.0 RC.

Im not anticipating any issues with SAB/SB but I wont be able to test these for a week or so as Im busy with some school stuff. Currently my SAB/SB is done on a 1.5 dual core machine so while it might be a little slower it shouldn't have an issue.

Just a little update for those concerned about the NIC. I am still moving data to the server but my speeds going from 45-85 MB/s without a parity disk. Ill report back more on my speeds once the parity disk is added as well as the add-on's functionality.

Sure... are you going to run Sab, Sickbeard?  ;)

Waiting on your updates...

I havent been able to do much lately between school, work, and driving 1200 miles for Thanksgiving. The initial data push took a little longer than I was expecting (~4TB) so I wasnt able to get the add-ons set up. As I have finals coming up and some extra work being thrown at me at work I wont have much free time until the weekend of Dec 15th. My goal is to finish setting up all the add-ons I will be using (SAB/SB, possibly MySQL) on that weekend and do some more serious testing of the rig.

Havent forgot about the updates for you guys, have just become really busy lately.

• 2 weeks later...

So I managed to get some free time this weekend and set up a spare drive in SNAP. On this drive I installed SAB and SB and set up the applications. After running a few test files they work awesome! The speed was good as well as moving from the App_Drive to the array. Over all Im very happy with the setup and the processor doesn't seem limited at all.

While I may try mySQL (I had issues getting it working a year or so ago) currently I am using an xbmc add-on quicksync. This add-on stores the watched status of all my content to the App_Drive which all my installations can access. While it doesnt do current location and metadata like mySQL, watched status was primarily what I was concerned with.

If anyone has any other tests they would like me to try out let me know and if possible Ill give them a shot.

• 2 months later...

Love the build Sccrluk9.

Ive been lurking this forum for some time now and i have almost the same setup in mind.

After lots of research about the asus c60m1-i people comments are 50/50 ... some say its great  others say the cpu is weak and cant feed 1080p mkv files to xbmc htpc.

Im about to pull the trigger on my order but im still in doubt about it.

I love the idea of small low cost/power and noise package.

What your experience as of today with the c60m1-i ? I plan to run plain unraid, no addon what so ever. only storing my media file and stream them to my htpc and my main computer ... 

I have had no problems with the c60 at all. It runs cool despite the passive cooling and the NIC works fine on RC10 (havent tried any other versions).

Most of my collection is 720p, I know I have a few 1080 mkvs but havent been able to find them (largish collection). Someone in the house watches at least 1 movie a day along with multiple TV episodes and I have yet to notice any stuttering at all however.

As I said above, I am running SB and SAB without any issues. SAB unpacks a file in < 10s which is fine with me.

Anymore questions just ask, Ill also keep looking for those 1080 mkvs to test them out for you but I dont anticipate any problems

yeah i saw this thread but i thought that maybe with the new versions of unRaid, the S3 and WOL would be fixed. This is why i asked you the question :)

Based on the other thread it seemed to be a hardware limitation in that the board would cut power to the NIC so WOL couldnt be used. Ill attempt to give it a shot though I wont be able to get to it until this weekend.