Seagate 1TB SATA 7200 32MB - $110

musicmann

Dell Home - $109.99 - Free Shipping (?)

Model:  ST31000340AS

Condition:  New (I don't see anything saying otherwise)

Comment:  Says "Member Purchase Program"...I don't know what that means (if anything).  Too bad I don't need (read: "can't afford") a drive right now!

http://bensbargains.net/deal/74924/?referrer=rss

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/System_Drives/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=eep&cs=2242&sku=A1463976

Some are saying that Dell made an error - and that the $70 discount per drive is supposed to be on cameras only.  On my receipt email, the line item showing the discount is labeled "Dell EPP Members save $70 off select Cameras!" lending credence to that position.  Not sure if it IS indeed an error, whether Dell would cancel all the orders or just fulfill them.

The $110 per drive is $40 less than the best price ever posted on these drives ($150 at ZipZoomFly).

Seems Dell frequently makes pricing mistakes on its Web site.

See http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=882128

Summary - Laptop drive priced at $11.99 instead of $115.99.  Lots of people ordered, Dell canceled the orders a few days later.

This is not nearly as dramatic, but could still be characterised as an error and canceled.

Those "in the know" say that it is important to not try and contact Dell, which will just draw their attention if it is, in fact, an error.  They also say that purchasing using a Dell Preferred account rather than a regular credit card is suggested.  Evidently some prior pricing mistakes were honored for those using the Dell account and canceled for those using credit cards.

My receipt says it will ship on Monday Tuesday.

Some have guessed that lower prices on the 1T drives are in advance of the 1.5T drives becoming available.

I expected the 1T drives prices to fall to around $150 on sale when the 1.5Ts came out (ZipZoomFly pricing), and gradually fall to close to $100 over the next 6-9 months.  $110 this fast was not expected.  When the 1Ts came out they were street priced around $250 ($225 on sale), and the 750Gs were about $200 ($150 on sale).  It took a while for the 750Gs to get to $100 (very recently).

When the 1.5Ts come out, I believe we'll see street pricing around $300.  If the 1Ts are at $110, it will really hurt sales.  Only the most demanding high density storage users would pay almost triple for 50% more storage.

Same here.  I have been monitoring another thread at SlickDeals on this.  Seems some folks got drives shipped yesterday.  Maybe one shipped so far today.  There is some general sense of gloom that they are canceling the orders.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=897596&page=48&highlight=seagate

Interesting quote from that thread ...

For people that missed out there will ALWAYS be another deal on Hard Drives. In fact Zoom Zip Fly has already marked theirs down to $140 and the 1.5 tetra is already priced at $215

Interesting ...

Mine doesn't even show up on my Dell Order Page, even though I got an email confirm at the time of making the order.  Have not received any other notification, so not sure if it got canceled, never submitted, or just isn't showing up on the "My Account" Page (which I've seen in the past with other orders from Dell).

This is not a good thing. I read about prior pricing errors and this type of elongation happens frequently. DELL may approach Seagate and tell them they have a large number of paid orders at this price point and ask for a steeper discount. I was 80% confident yesterday, I'm only 10% today. :(

This is not a good thing. I read about prior pricing errors and this type of elongation happens frequently. DELL may approach Seagate and tell them they have a large number of paid orders at this price point and ask for a steeper discount. I was 80% confident yesterday, I'm only 10% today. :(

Why would Dell bother to talk to Seagate .... just easier to cancel the orders that did not ship like mine.  got this 2 hours after the delayed email that most people got.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your order for a Seagate 1 TB SATA NCQ Barracuda 7200.11 Internal Hard Drive. We regret that, because of a pricing error, we have cancelled this order.

As you may have noticed, Dell specifically indicates on our web pages, catalogs, advertising and order-confirmation that Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We truly value our relationship and reputation with our customers. Please be assured that we are working hard to avoid similar issues.

We invite you to visit www.dell.com or call 1-800-WWW-DELL, if you wish to place an order for this product at its correct price.

Sincerely,

Dell Inc.

BTW this is my third cancelation from dell due to price mistake .... sigh ...

merlyn

All of us waiting are likely to get the same result as you.  You may be the lucky one for having been cut lose and able to take advantage of another deal while we're stuck waiting for a maybe.  ZipZoomFly has the drives available for $139.99.

On the other forum there are several people that got the delay email followed closely by the cancel email.  My confidence is down to 2%.

Why would Dell bother to talk to Seagate .... just easier to cancel the orders that did not ship like mine.  got this 2 hours after the delayed email that most people got.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your order for a Seagate 1 TB SATA NCQ Barracuda 7200.11 Internal Hard Drive. We regret that, because of a pricing error, we have cancelled this order.

As you may have noticed, Dell specifically indicates on our web pages, catalogs, advertising and order-confirmation that Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We truly value our relationship and reputation with our customers. Please be assured that we are working hard to avoid similar issues.

We invite you to visit www.dell.com or call 1-800-WWW-DELL, if you wish to place an order for this product at its correct price.

Sincerely,

Dell Inc.

BTW this is my third cancelation from dell due to price mistake .... sigh ...

merlyn

Got the same email. Bought another from ZipZoomFly.

Well, I found my confirm email and used that link and I'm still at "Order Processing"... (was @ work and didn't both to Remote back home to find the email)

I'm not holding my breathe since people are getting the cancel emails... I haven't yet, but guess that I will.

Wade

I am out.  Just got a PHONE call saying the order was canceled.  (It was not a personal call - but was a recording). I am not in desperate need of more space at the moment, so will likely wait.  The only reason I bought was the incredibly good price.