Seagate 3TB $89.99 @ Newegg

pmpj218

Well these came yesterday. I have to say that they were the WORST packed product I have ever seen! The box they were in was about 1/2 filled with some crumpled paper, leaving the drives fully capable of bouncing around. The drives themselves were held on one end with a partial styrofoam holder, probably broken off from the original shipping carton. The other end was free. The whole thing was then wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap and thrown into the woefully underpadded box. The box itself was 5 times too big for this shipment, too. What a disaster. Luckily the drives appear to be OK, let's see if they make it through the bad blocks/preclear regimen. Newegg WILL be getting a call from me on this one.

Well these came yesterday. I have to say that they were the WORST packed product I have ever seen! The box they were in was about 1/2 filled with some crumpled paper, leaving the drives fully capable of bouncing around. The drives themselves were held on one end with a partial styrofoam holder, probably broken off from the original shipping carton. The other end was free. The whole thing was then wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap and thrown into the woefully underpadded box. The box itself was 5 times too big for this shipment, too. What a disaster. Luckily the drives appear to be OK, let's see if they make it through the bad blocks/preclear regimen. Newegg WILL be getting a call from me on this one.

Newegg is really weird, sometimes the drives come packed properly, other times it seems like they just throw whatever they have in the box. My drive was packed similar to yours, though the drive was at one side, no way it was held secure in the box. Doing a preclear now and hoping it turns out fine. Took a picture of the box and packaging, to email them. If they make you pay to ship drive back for rma, can call and get them to send a shipping label free.

Wow. Exactly the opposite for me. Inner box was the Seagate box, with the plastic isolators. That box was inside the NE shipping box that was full of styrofoam peanuts.

I have received bare disks from NE in a manner similar to your description. Only mine were always wrapped in a couple layers of the 1" diameter bubble wrap. Not the small bubble stuff.

I hope your preclear passes...  :'(

Mine came in today too. Best packaging I've ever seen on hard drives send from NewEgg actually.

The box was way too big, yes. But hdds were in styrofoam holders, wraped in a single layer of big bubble wrap with a lot of those bean shaped soft things, really tight, situated in the center of this big box. Thank you whoever was packaging my box! Mine came in from warehouse in CA. I live in NM, so it was not a long trip. I hope they all pass surface scan though...

I think some of you were expecting Jesus to arrive holding your hard drives. Mine was wrapped just like the OC(original complainer) stated and I believe they could have dropped it out of an airplane onto my front steps and these drives would be fine. You do understand that just  because it isn't pretty doesn't mean it wont work? If any of these hdd's have issues it's more than likely not because of shipping. And yes, I am a newegg fanboy.

I think some of you were expecting Jesus to arrive holding your hard drives. Mine was wrapped just like the OC(original complainer) stated and I believe they could have dropped it out of an airplane onto my front steps and these drives would be fine. You do understand that just  because it isn't pretty doesn't mean it wont work? If any of these hdd's have issues it's more than likely not because of shipping. And yes, I am a newegg fanboy.

I would expect them to be somewhat competent when packing anything. I've ordered from newegg before and received things packed really well. Doesn't have to be pretty if packed properly but you shouldn't be able to hear it moving around in the box. If there is an issue with the drive shipping can certainly have played a part in it.

Well, take a look at what Seagate says on their website for the mandatory instructions on how to pack to return a 'bad' drive to them.  The packaging Seagate themselves specifies - and will REFUSE a drive not packed properly - makes one aghast at how Newegg treated a few of these folks purchases.

Atleast he proclaimed he's a fanboy :D

And Seagate, WD, all of them require that packaging. Its not so the drive isn't damaged during shipping, its so they have a way to nullify your claim. Maybe its me in a tin-hat mood, but seems like a "Mail-In-Rebate" type of thing. Rebates cost them money, but seeing as the majority of people never actually get around to sending the rebate in, the company ends up making a profit.

Same thing with the RMA returns, they are probably counting on X amount of customers not packaging the drive properly, and then they don't have to honor the warranty.

Seriously, did you even read my post. If you think that your drives could have survived ANY kind of drop, then yours were packed differently than mine. I don't care how "pretty"it is, but when the box is half full of packing so the drives are fully mobile AND they are practically devoid of any supporting padding, then that's just not right. So go ahead and call me a complainer, but I have never seen such half-assed packaging in my life.

Your last comment about the shipping not being at fault if the drives don't work - you're just talking out your ass. But, thanks for pointing out your newegg fanboyism, I'm sure that would have escaped our notice  ::)

The two that I bought were packed in plain white boxes, both put inside a larger box and "prevented" from moving with crumpled paper. The inner boxes were fine, but one of the drives was DOA. It offered up a mechanical dragging noise, various unhealthy beeps, a resigned sigh, and a refusal to communicate with my disk controller.

The other drive, when put in the same position, is now building parity at about 100MB/S.

One thing I don't like about Newegg, and that's having to return something. Pain in the butt. I also don't like having to pay to return something that is broken right out of the box. Grrr!

Rick "grumble, grumble" Denney