Files become inaccessible/not found - rc8a

I have upgraded from 4.7 because I bought a new 3TB drive for parity without realizing 4.7 didn't support it.  I got through the issues with my realtek network card but now the system appears very unreliable.

I'm not sure if this is related to or the same thing as the "shares randomly disappearing" issue reported out here.  My shares stay intact.  The problem is random files deep within the share structure just become unavailable.

The files are listed in windows explorer but if you try to open one it says the file doesn't exist.  Rebooting the server fixes the issue fora  few minutes and then files just start doing this again.

I guess I need to go back to 4.7 and just run with no parity until 5.0 is really ready (or find another 2TB parity drive).  Is there any problem with downgrading now that the new permissions script was run?

I guess I need to go back to 4.7 and just run with no parity until 5.0 is really ready (or find another 2TB parity drive).  Is there any problem with downgrading now that the new permissions script was run?

I cannot remember seeing any posts reporting a problem of the sort you are seeing.    On that basis I do not see a fix appearing even in the final 5.0 release version unless you can identify why your system is having this sort of problem.

I have upgraded from 4.7 because I bought a new 3TB drive for parity without realizing 4.7 didn't support it.  I got through the issues with my realtek network card but now the system appears very unreliable.

I'm not sure if this is related to or the same thing as the "shares randomly disappearing" issue reported out here.  My shares stay intact.  The problem is random files deep within the share structure just become unavailable.

The files are listed in windows explorer but if you try to open one it says the file doesn't exist.  Rebooting the server fixes the issue fora  few minutes and then files just start doing this again.

Maybe this is related to my issue? I can have my SAB program write many folders to my usershare but those folders won't show up on my network via all my Windows workstations. I have to physically reboot the computer for the usershare to update.

Can you make this issue happen "at will"?  Next time this happens, please send me an email which would be the fastest way to resolve it.  [email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry.  I moved off of that version since I was afraid of losing actual data.  I was running a user-created build of the RC because I had a realtek network card in the machine and the official version didn't include a driver for it.

I have since replaced my network card with an Intel one so I will try the official release and see if I have any similar issues.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tested with rc10?

No because this was never acknowledged as an issue and it is kind of a scary thing to test as I'm never sure the data isn't actually going to be gone.  If lime says they found something and fixed it, then I'll be happy to give it another go.

This looks like a problem i have had a lot of times.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11240.msg106816#msg106816

The "touch" command fixed my problem. I have had this problem several times after (also on rc8a).

But i just run the script i was given by Prostuff1:

find /mnt/ -type f -exec touch "{}" \;

This should touch all files under /mnt which is were all unRAID disks are mounted I would probably do it one disk at a time and replace /mnt/ with /mnt/disk1, /mnt/disk2/, etc for as many disks as you have.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to try rc11 and this is still happening.  Files and even whole directories that are actually there report intermittent "file not found" errors.  The syslog doesn't even appear to report anything when this happens.

This has totally screwed my installation.  Is it possible we are dealing with a case-sensitivity issue somewhere?

syslog-20130207-082402.zip

I decided to try rc11 and this is still happening.  Files and even whole directories that are actually there report intermittent "file not found" errors.  The syslog doesn't even appear to report anything when this happens.

I think that this is the same problem which I've been reporting for some months.  Often a whole user share goes awol and, normally, I reboot to get it back.  However, today when my Movie share went missing (one minute it's there, the next minute it's gone) from my Ubuntu desktop, I tried accessing it from an OpenELEC media player - that, too, reported the share to be missing.  I rebooted OpenELEC and full access to the Movies was regained.  I then went back to my Ubuntu desktop and the share was back there also.  Telnetting in to the server and using ls proves that the files are really there all along - however ls /net/Tower/mnt/user/ from Ubuntu tells me that the directory is missing.

The other symptom I have is that Jdownloader, running on Ubuntu, but writing its files to an unRAID share will, part way through writing a file, report that access is denied, and stop downloading that file.  Setting it to resume will enable Jdownloader to continue writing that file.  Once a file has encountered this problem, there is a high chance of it happening again.  All this time, other files will be downloading, and be written without any problem.

There is never any evidence in the syslog relating to these events.

This has totally screwed my installation.  Is it possible we are dealing with a case-sensitivity issue somewhere?

I don't think that it has 'screwed' your installation, but I do admit that it is a nuisance.

I don't think it's anything to do with case sensitivity - it feels more like the permissions are being messed up temporarily.

I don't think that it has 'screwed' your installation, but I do admit that it is a nuisance.

I don't think it's anything to do with case sensitivity - it feels more like the permissions are being messed up temporarily.

I use a file system to serve up files and when, on a very regular basis, it cannot serve those files then, yes, my installation is screwed.

I understand this is not expensive software and I also understand these types of issues because I am a software developer myself.  However, when my file system cannot perform its basic function reliably then it is of no use to me.

This issue puts me at a crossroads because the current version that works (4.7) does not support the larger drives I would like to use so I must upgrade my license to add more drives.  I'm not sure I want to put more money or time investment in a system I cannot rely on so I may need to search for other alternatives.  That is not intended as a jab at the fine developers of this software.  It is just a simple reality of my situation.

Hi,

I'm also seeing the issue of a disks, shares going away from the remote machine, but still on the server.

From my Win7 machine I would be happily connected and see files and then poof "File Not Found". If I connect from another machine say a XP box to same said files they are there.

I usually telnet on the tower and search for the smbd process for the win7 user and kill it. That then resolves the issue for another period of time.

There is nothing in the syslog that indicate anything untowards.

Looks like smbd is crapping out or getting it knickers in a twist for some reason. Can't remember when I started seeing this but it's happening on the latest few releases.

cheers.