backup to unraid to the same unraid?

ldasilva

unRAID already has redundancy, so what would be the point?  To me, it would seem like a waste of a hard drive.  Especially when your array grows larger than 5 disks... but maybe I'm missing something.

i was thinking of extra extra redundancy i already have crashplan installed.... i was also thinking of only backing up data that i didnt want to lose i guess it would be a half ass raid 6 in case something went wrong with the other drives i might have 50tbs of data but only want to backup 1-2tbs to the excluded disk

I "backup" critical files (basically photos) to a second drive on the same unraid (as well as portable disks some of which are off site).

It may be wasteful, but it lets me feel a little more comfortable that to lose the unraid copy of critical files the two disks which happen to contain the files would need to fail simultaneously.

If your data is that important, I would backup to a second system or even better a separate site.

Think power surge, theft, etc.  If you loose one, you risk the loss of both drives (+ unraid redundancy).

right now i have it backing up to crash-plan which is my offsite and have a extra drive outside of the unraid for the important data copyed which is 2 copys

i was looking for a 3rd which be right on unraid on its own disk