User Shares - Not working

Hey Friendly Unraid users.

Im so excited! i just bought my pro version (actually got the two pack) and installed UnRaid. All day been messing around with all the features.

Anyway, im trying to setup user accounts to access folders. I THINK i have all the settings correct and yet when windows asks me to login with username and password (type them in) and says i dont have access. If i make the setting as "Public" then everything works fine. Am i missing something? do i need to mess with some windows setting?

Here you can see i have made two accounts in unraid "guest" and "alex". For the sake of making things simple here, i have made the password "1234". Now i would think that when windows asks for the login and password (which it does) i would just be able to type the account info in and should allow access to the unraid server. The goal being i will make user accounts for computers in the house AND have a guest account so when friends visit they have access to my movies/TV shows.

Running version: 5.0-rc8a Pro

Iv been searching the manual but to be honest its not that helpful. Even if i search for "user shares" in the forums, it comes up with a different feature of UnRAID (the folder sharing aspect). 

Well, i tried all.....

restarted server

restarted SMB

Renamed Workgroup to "WORKGROUP"

Added more users

changed Password

Double checked the actual config file (attached)

wanted to add: this is a fresh install no upgrading from 4.7....

Capture1.GIF.a2c7673ece7d1138b0222197e9ca61a4.GIF

Capture.GIF.e883ca187407f8498bc4287358b40445.GIF

you could try to enter "tower\alex" (or whatever your unraid server is named).

windows often tries to use local user for network authentification. with SERVERNAME\USERNAME you can force windows to use the remote user.

(haven't been on a windows machine in some time, but i believe, when i used the same username as i have on the windows machine and the same password, i didn't even get a login prompt. i was directly connected)

For unRaid user 'alex' have you entered a password?  If so this is the password you use in the authentication window that pops up.

Best practice for windows users is whatever username/password you use to login to windows you should use for unRaid as well.  For example, suppose your windows login name is "moe", password "astooge".  If you set up that exact same user/password in unRaid then authentication will be seamless.

Also, I notice your 'Included disk(s)' share setting is wrong, if you want that share confined to disks 1 through 4, you enter that as

disk1-4

Could also enter as

disk1,disk2,disk3,disk4

If your running vista ( I think it's available in vista) or win 7-8 you can open the control panel and open the credentials manager. You can add a credential for your server with a log in and password. You can use your servers ip or its name. Mine is set to the servers name. IE "\tower"

I find this especially useful if your server login is different then your windows login. Or if your win login doesn't have a password this will fix that as well.

If your running vista ( I think it's available in vista) or win 7-8 you can open the control panel and open the credentials manager. You can add a credential for your server with a log in and password. You can use your servers ip or its name. Mine is set to the servers name. IE "\tower"

I find this especially useful if your server login is different then your windows login. Or if your win login doesn't have a password this will fix that as well.

Yes, very good info, thank you.

well the point of having user shares is so that when someone comes over (guest), they can just double click a folder and login to get access. No windows settings....my mom wouldnt understand even what a credentials manager is.

well the point of having user shares is so that when someone comes over (guest), they can just double click a folder and login to get access. No windows settings....my mom wouldnt understand even what a credentials manager is.

Be Careful with terminology here.  I believe that a 'guest' is not a "person", it is a machine with a "user name" that is not the "user".  Your Mom may be able to access that share as a guest only if she brings her own computer...  You might be able to 'fool' it if you setup a totally separate account on your computer that she would be required to use. 

Remember modern computer security protocols are designed not to make things easy.  They are designed to make things very difficult for unauthorized persons to gain access to files and systems. 

Be Careful with terminology here.  I believe that a 'guest' is not a "person", it is a machine with a "user name" that is not the "user".  Your Mom may be able to access that share as a guest only if she brings her own computer...  You might be able to 'fool' it if you setup a totally separate account on your computer that she would be required to use. 

Remember modern computer security protocols are designed not to make things easy.  They are designed to make things very difficult for unauthorized persons to gain access to files and systems.

Opps, i should be careful. When i mean "guest" i meant the user i created in unraid. For the future lets called this "unraidguest". My goal is to have a user in unraid where i give out the login and password so others can view my server. When windows pops up and asks for username and password (that i setup in unraid) i type them in but the problem is, nothing happens.

we still have a problem with unraid NOT windows. (this happens on many computers with all versions of windows). I have update the original post to make it more clear, please read

• 2 weeks later...

I am also struggling with this issue and like coffeeman2000 have been searching the forums and wiki.

I've just completed my first plus build. Im running a number of windows boxes ranging from XP to Win 7. My main device from which the vast majority of the management of the unRAID server will occur is a Vista box.

Unlike coffeeman2000, all of the shares are visibile to everyone (at least to start, this will change once I get the server fully functional.)

There is a sample attached of one of the shares (all are setup the same - one for Media, one for Music, Photos, etc.)

I can see the shares (and disks) when I browse into \\tower\Media. Everything is good.

When I click on "Network" from my Vista box I don't see any of the shares (or disks.)

I have the Vista box setup to require a password to login, but have NOT set any requirements in unRAID yet as I'm still in "deployment."

For unRaid user 'alex' have you entered a password?  If so this is the password you use in the authentication window that pops up.

Best practice for windows users is whatever username/password you use to login to windows you should use for unRaid as well.  For example, suppose your windows login name is "moe", password "astooge".  If you set up that exact same user/password in unRaid then authentication will be seamless.

Also, I notice your 'Included disk(s)' share setting is wrong, if you want that share confined to disks 1 through 4, you enter that as

disk1-4

Could also enter as

disk1,disk2,disk3,disk4

@ Limetech (Tom), Will the fact that windows requires a password impact the abilbity to see the shares in the Windows "Network?"

Also, read in a number of posts that indentifying "included" could be left blank if all data disks were to be included in the share??

Thanks in advance

Capture.GIF.f801a8b9cc941f58ba800c5dd6df6987.GIF

For whatever reason, MS designed Vista to only 'network' easily with other Vista machine.  I know I had a Vista Laptop that I never could get working with a peer-to-peer network with XP machines.  I had another friend with the same issue.  At the same time, I had a third friend who was an IT manager for a large private high school who had few issues with Vista machines. 

Back in 2007, when Vista was introduced there were a lot of people with issues.  (Just google "vista computer won't see xp network" to see over 21,000,00 posts on that topic.)  The problem was widespread and the 'solutions' often seemed more like witchcraft than technical in nature.  Plus, no single solution seemed to solve the problem for everyone who got it to work!  And MS was absolutely no help... 

I finally gave up as I only used the laptop when I went on trips to keep a journal and to download the pictures from my digital camera each evening.  Sneaker net with a flash drive worked when I got back from each trip. 

When Windows 7 was introduced, the problem vanished!!!

Thanks for the reply Frank1940.

I was aware of of the many issues with Vista and other MS OS' and was thinking that was probably at issue here.

I have two devices on my network that are both Win 7 devices (on WIFI) and others that are Win XP and Vista. Strangely, neither of those devices find the unRAID server on the network either.

I can find the server on any manchine when I browse into \\tower, but oddly not when I look for it under "Network" on any of the Windows devices.

I wonder if I missed something on the initial unRAID setup that is blocking me from "seeing" the server?

Wondering if this means I'm in for accessibility issues from all of the Windows devices?

Thanks for the reply Frank1940.

I was aware of of the many issues with Vista and other MS OS' and was thinking that was probably at issue here.

I have two devices on my network that are both Win 7 devices (on WIFI) and others that are Win XP and Vista. Strangely, neither of those devices find the unRAID server on the network either.

I can find the server on any manchine when I browse into \\tower, but oddly not when I look for it under "Network" on any of the Windows devices.

I wonder if I missed something on the initial unRAID setup that is blocking me from "seeing" the server?

Wondering if this means I'm in for accessibility issues from all of the Windows devices?

First Item.  When setup SMB (under "Settings"), did you set the Workgroup to the same one as your Windows are using?  You should also have 'Enable SMB' to 'Workgroup (Yes)'.

Second Item.  Did you set 'Local Master' to 'Yes'? 

There is a screen shot of my setup (attached.)

From the forum and manual reading, I set up according to what you see here which I believe matches your comments below:

First Item.  When setup SMB (under "Settings"), did you set the Workgroup to the same one as your Windows are using?  You should also have 'Enable SMB' to 'Workgroup (Yes)'.

Second Item.  Did you set 'Local Master' to 'Yes'? 

I've also rebooted the Vista box and the server and then left them over night hoping that Windows might "find" the unRAID server.

Still no luck.

Is it possible that I missed something on the initial netword settings of the unRAID?

It's strange that my Win 7 boxes don't see the unRAID in "Network" as well even though I can get to it through IE \\tower.

I did notice in the SMB setup that "Worgroup" was not all caps??

Capture_2.GIF.dd0de2e6af14f22b2f68e1977646df3f.GIF

Two things to try:

1-- Don't reboot your server and be sure that Local Master is set to 'Yes'.  Shutdown ALL of the Windows machines for a good half hour.  Then reboot them one by one.  And wait to see if your server has become the Local Master and is identifying the Windows7  machines on the network.  (There may still issues with Vista.)

2--On the Window 7 machines,  click on "Start" and enter 'Credentials' in the search box.  Open up the 'Credential Manager'.  You should have no credentials set.  Some people have clear up problems by clearing any credentials that are set. 

Well - Shut down all of the Win devices on the network and waited approx 45 mins, then rebooted each device one by one. Waiting about 5 mins in between devices. Still no Joy.

I haven't powered off the router in any of the attempts so far. Wondering if I should repeat the process and also power down the router, then reboot the router and wait for 5- 10 mins then start booting the other deivces?

I forgot to mention that I have also turn windows firewall off on a couple of devices previously to see if that had any impact.

Is it possible that the issues could lie with the router?

I knew Vista had network issues but surprised that I;m having this issue on the Win 7 and XP devices as well. All of the XP devices had been updated with the Link Layer patch a long time ago.

I'm rapidly running out of ideas.

OK ---- Now go to 'Control Panel', 'Network and Sharing Center'.  Now click on 'Advanced sharing settings.  In the Current profile (should be 'Home or Work'), check to see that the following are enabled:

Click on the 'Turn Network Discovery' radio button.

Click on the 'Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections'.

For more information, here is an MS website:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-problems-with-computers-not-appearing-on-the-network-map

and you can also google "windows networking" and "network computers not showing up"  for even more information. 

Oh, and rebooting the router will not hurt but the router should not really be the cause of the problem.  (I seem to recall that Windows peer-to-peer networking worked fine in the days before anybody had a router at home.  You did have to manually assign static IP addresses to each computer.  (The Local Master serves like a sort of DNS server for the Windows network.)  )

I believe those are the steps to make changes in Win 7 as the menues appear to be similar but a little diff in Vista. I check / verified the settings on the Win 7 devices and they match what you have posted.

OK ---- Now go to 'Control Panel', 'Network and Sharing Center'.  Now click on 'Advanced sharing settings.  In the Current profile (should be 'Home or Work'), check to see that the following are enabled:

Click on the 'Turn Network Discovery' radio button.

Click on the 'Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections'.)

The access seems a little different in Vista. I can make all the necessary changes in Vista with the exception of 'Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections' which I can't seem to locate in Vista.

Attached are some screen shots of what I'm seeing in Vista re: getting access to view / change 'Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections.'

I still can't see the unRAID server on any of the devices including the Win 7 devices or Vista device.

Thanks for your help on this - I'm sure it must be frustrating

Control_Panel_1.GIF.765b4fdf8f4ab5f457ee6ea888f7b88c.GIF

Control_Panel_2.GIF.fc36698a782e0a1f592e13a5f38b1edc.GIF

Control_Panel_3.GIF.6c9ada735a44f8cc283852988684115e.GIF

Control_Panel_4.GIF.d1654f3103031923a78b163e8def3707.GIF

What is this "Aviator (Private Network)"  that your computer is connected through?  Are all of Windows 7 computers connected to this network?  I have a feeling that somehow you have managed to have your computers connected to a restricted network. Those restrictions could well be preventing your being able to see your server.  On my computer, I do not have an option to customize my network as you do for your Aviator network.

Another question, can you see the other Windows computers on your network from this computer? (They should appear under "Network" in Window Explorer even if you are not sharing anything from them.) 

Aviator is the name / profile on the router. All of the devices on my home network are connected to this same router. I hadn't thought of that causing the problem, but perhaps is contributing??

I can see the other other Win 7 devices (two) and my Vista device on etiher the Win 7 boxes and / or the Vista box. have never been able to see the XP devices in the "Network" tab of Windows but have set up folder shares on these in the past with the same Vista / Win 7 boxes.