Im in need of a UPS

Sccrluk9

Hey guys, Im looking into getting a UPS for my build however I am not sure what one to get. Ive been searching and reading on Google and it seems to be that I need one with at least the same wattage as my PSU. This part makes sense to me but then Ive already been reading where people are mentioning voltage and while the wattage may be good the voltage isnt.

My PSU is a Corsair 430W

Right now my hardware is this with 3 2TB WD greens and a 1TB WD black.

I know I need to plan for expansion so with this case the max Ill go to is 7 3.5" greens and 1 2.5" blue. There will be NO monitor or anything else plugged into the UPS so no need to worry about monitor or switches drawing power.

It doesnt need to last long, just enough to shut down the server if need be using the plugin.

I have a Corsair Builder Series 430 and I ordered a CyberPower  CP1350AVR from Amazon.

It due to arrive on the 7th.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OFXKFI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I have installed the acpups plugin. I will post my results, when I get a chance to test it.

You might find this post helpful. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=21278.0

I installed the acpups plugin from here. http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Plugins

I wouldn't think you necessarily need a UPS with the same wattage as your PSU unless you're actually maxing out our PSU. If you really want to know how much capacity you'll need, you can try http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm.

I have APC BE750G Power Saving Battery Back-UPS. My NAS (in my sig), Atom HTPC, DishTV receiver, and 55" Plasma TV are running off of it. It's more than enough to shut down everything gracefully.

This is what the load usage looks like with the NAS, HTPC, Dish receiver.

rwrojq.jpg

For the most part i see:

"USB Connectivity

HID compliant USB port enables full integration with built-in power management and auto shutdown features of Windows, Linux and Mac OS X."

Whether they work with apcupsd is another question. If not done already i would look into the linux compatibility.

Cyberpower ups seems to work ok with unraid 5.0-rc8a

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OFXKFI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I pulled the plug on the ups and the server shut down gracefully.  Countdown showed 50 minutes remaining on battery power. I still have to  connect my Qnap Nas so this seems like a good fit. I set the "kill ups" setting

to yes. But I forgot to wait and see and connected the main.

Daemon: Running UPS: Online Batttery Charge: 086.0% Time Left: 43.0 Minutes

Settings

Enable APC UPS Daemon:

UPS Cable:

UPS Type:

Device:

Battery Level:

Minutes:

Timeout:

Kill UPS:

Show Full Status:

Done

APC UPS Status

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APC 001,032,0785

DATE 2012-12-07 19:09:50 -0600

HOSTNAME Tower

VERSION 3.14.10 (13 September 2011) slackware

UPSNAME Tower

CABLE USB Cable

DRIVER USB UPS Driver

UPSMODE Stand Alone

STARTTIME 2012-12-07 19:09:47 -0600

MODEL CP 1350C

STATUS ONLINE

LINEV 115.0 Volts

LOADPCT 10.0 Percent Load Capacity

BCHARGE 086.0 Percent

TIMELEFT 43.0 Minutes

MBATTCHG 10 Percent

MINTIMEL 10 Minutes

MAXTIME 300 Seconds

OUTPUTV 115.0 Volts

DWAKE 000 Seconds

LOTRANS 090.0 Volts

HITRANS 140.0 Volts

ALARMDEL 30 seconds

NUMXFERS 0

TONBATT 0 seconds

CUMONBATT 0 seconds

XOFFBATT N/A

SELFTEST OK

STATFLAG 0x07000008 Status Flag

SERIALNO BFE5107.B23

NOMINV 120 Volts

NOMPOWER 810 Watts

END APC 2012-12-07 19:09:53 -0600

For the most part i see:

"USB Connectivity

HID compliant USB port enables full integration with built-in power management and auto shutdown features of Windows, Linux and Mac OS X."

Whether they work with apcupsd is another question. If not done already i would look into the linux compatibility.

Indeed, I see that now that you call my attention.  Should have scanned a little past the bullets at the top.  :-X

The 600VA is probably sufficient for my needs.  I'd better add it to my Xmas list. 

rwrojq.jpg

How did you get this display? I know it is part of the apcupsd package I downloaded for Windows but I am letting unRAID be the "master" in my configuration. Are you getting this status monitor cgi from Windows or do you somehow have unRAID web serving this cgi?

rwrojq.jpg

How did you get this display? I know it is part of the apcupsd package I downloaded for Windows but I am letting unRAID be the "master" in my configuration. Are you getting this status monitor cgi from Windows or do you somehow have unRAID web serving this cgi?

It's supplied by the apcupsd-cgi package which I'm running from my Ubuntu XBMC box.

http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/manual.html#apcupsd-network-monitoring-cgi-programs

• 4 weeks later...

On the latest RC I am unable to install the Clean Powerdown plugin which I assume is needed. The UPS is connected to unRaid and the plugin in reporting the time and percentage correctly but due to not have the powerdown plugin never actually shuts down.

This is what I get

powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz installation:
Verifying package powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz.

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
Installing package powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'
Package powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz installed.

kernel.poweroff_cmd = /sbin/powerdown
powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz apparently did not install properly, /etc/rc.d/rc.unRAID does not exist.