auto zip syslog message message when shutting down??

I just noticed that when doing a Shutdown, I see a message on my server screen that says ...something about not saving the Syslog file, then I see ...Consider installing Automatically zip Syslog...and then it goes by so fast I can't see exactly what is causing this message.

Is there a add-on or something that should be in my GO file to tell it to zip the current Syslog?

• 2 weeks later...

I presume this is because you don't have zip installed and that would be a pre-requisite for powerdown-1.02 to zip the syslog.

Thanks!  I have not installed any package or plugin named ZIP, and didn't know about it.  I do have the APC plugin for my UPS, and that installs the powerdown script.  Perhaps that package should include this ZIP package, being it's required.

Where do I find the current version of ZIP for v5 of unraid?  I assume that is just a plugin.

Thanks!

I presume this is because you don't have zip installed and that would be a pre-requisite for powerdown-1.02 to zip the syslog.

Thanks!  I have not installed any package or plugin named ZIP, and didn't know about it.  I do have the APC plugin for my UPS, and that installs the powerdown script.  Perhaps that package should include this ZIP package, being it's required.

Where do I find the current version of ZIP for v5 of unraid?  I assume that is just a plugin.

Thanks!

install through unmenu will work just fine.

Thanks!  Ah, called infozip.  I was searching for ZIP.

So by installing this, the syslog will be saved (zipped) to the flash drive as part of the shutdown script, instead of just being wipped out which is what normally happens?  This will be helpful when troubleshooting.  not to mention I won't see the error message during shutdown anymore.

Thanks again!

Ok, dropped infozip-6.0-i486-1.txz in my /boot/packages folder.  I assume I need to add the following to the GO file as well, but please let me know if I'm missing anything,

installpkg /boot/packages/infozip-6.0-i486-1.txz

Alternatively you put the .txz file in the folder /boot/extra and it will be loaded automatically (no need to update your go file). Whatever you prefer...

Ok, dropped infozip-6.0-i486-1.txz in my /boot/packages folder.  I assume I need to add the following to the GO file as well, but please let me know if I'm missing anything,

installpkg /boot/packages/infozip-6.0-i486-1.txz

Alternatively you put the .txz file in the folder /boot/extra and it will be loaded automatically (no need to update your go file). Whatever you prefer...

Oh ya, thanks.  I'm not sure why  I didn't just do that.  I guess given it's all the same, I'll just leave it in the packages.  I guess the only thing that might change is install order.

I rebooted after and it zipped the current syslog right before rebooting.  Cool if you need to troubleshoot and don't want to manually copy the syslog before rebooting.

The "install" order in version 5 is as follows (from first to last):

1. Packages located in the /boot/extra folder

2. Plugin files in the system folder /boot/plugins

3. Plugin files in the user folder /boot/config/plugins

4. Installations in the 'go' file

Note: only plugin file installations are mentioned in the syslog.