Antec 902 - 8 Drive Build

Transferring my existing setup into a new case, and it will be neat and tidy. I had the Fractal Define XL case and wasn't too happy with it's cooling performance. For my 8 (one day to be 9) drive setup I am going with the Antec 900 as I had a 300 once before and was very impressed by it's cooling to noise ratio. This is the single most important factor to me in any build. Noise. There should be none.

I've been looking high and low in the UK for the iStarUSA 5 in 3 cages that are used in the new Lime Tech servers. I've posted elsewhere asking for a European stockist but not had a reply. Does anyone know where I can obtain one or two of these units in UK / Europe?

http://www.amazon.com/iStarUSA-BPN-DE350SS-BLACK-3x5-25-5x3-5-Trayless/dp/B008RRZI14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355878903&sr=8-1&keywords=BPN-DE350SS+black

Pics to follow over the next week as I make the build happen... Case just arrived today.

OS at time of building: unRAID 5.0-rc8a Pro License ~£75

CPU: Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3-2120 £92

Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-V Intel Motherboard £74

RAM: 8GB Corsair Ram 1333mhz £33.50

Case: Antec 902 v3 £89

Drive Cage: Cooler Master 4 in 3 unit £15

Power Supply: CORSAIR TX750W £90

SATA Expansion Card(s): Supermicro SAS-AOC-SASLP-MV8 £75

Fans: Stock case fans

Parity Drive: 3TB Western Digital Red

Data Drives: 3x 3TB Hitachi 5k3000, 1x 1TB Seagate ST31000, 1x 1TB Seagate ST1000DL002, 1x 1.5TB Seagate ST1500DM003

Cache Drive: 320GB Western Digital WDC_WD320

Total Drive Capacity: 12.5TB

Total cost w/o drives = £543.50

Primary Use: Media Storage and device backup

Dislikes: None so far

Add Ons Used: Simple Features, unMENU, Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, Plex

Future Plans: Add a drive or two and upgrade drive cage to an iStarUSA.

Sounds like it could be a nice build!  Where did you source your components from?

Like you I'm in the UK, so it's often more interesting finding the nicer bits to build a new server from.

My HP N36L is at capacity (7 drives) so it's time to think about something with a bit more oomph and expansion capabilities..

Chris

• 5 weeks later...

Finished this over Xmas. Perhaps not quite as neat on the wiring job as I might like but it's just not a big enough case for that number of wires.

I've seen a 10-12C drop in my average temperatures on the drives themselves (more on that below), the system runs just as well as you'd expect and hope for. I'm achieving parity checks with averages speeds of around 75MB/s. Tvheadend is also working a treat with the TBS9681 in there. Literally, the perfect media server.

unraid-build-1.jpg

unraid-build-2.jpg

unraid-build-3.jpg

unraid-build-6.jpg

The Antec 902 only comes as standard with 6 3.5" slots (converted 3x 5.25" to 3x 3.5" bays) - see pic below for how they mount with fans blowing directly onto them. The advantage of this space hogging method of course is dramatically lower drive temperatures than I was used to with the Fractal Define XL.

unraid-build-4.jpg

Below is the Coolermaster 4 in 3 unit which retails for the bargain price of £17. When loaded with 4 drives those 4 drives I found to be around 4-5C warmer than their counterparts in the rest of the wider slots. Still, £17 can't argue as the noise damping works adequately.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Device-Module-STB-3T4-E3-GP/dp/B00129CDGC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358531918&sr=8-2

unraid-build-7.jpg

unraid-build-8.jpg

unraid-build-9.jpg

unraid-build-10.jpg