CrashPlan & CrashPlan GUI Merger Plugin

I got really horrible speed tests when testing speeds a long distance from me.  I live in middle of USA and the coasts have horrible speeds when I tested but I got close to my rated speeds closer to me.

I picked a couple random speed test servers in California and Nevada and I'm still getting arounf 65-75% of my rated speeds.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked a couple random speed test servers in California and Nevada and I'm still getting arounf 65-75% of my rated speeds.

Compete shot in the dark but do you have FIOS? And if so do you have Coaxial or cat5 running from your ONT?

If you do, it could be your connection. FIOS scams the crap out of people with coaxial connections... It will say you get 20mbps but you are really getting about. 200k upload. The minute I switched after reading about it my FTPing to my website went for 200k to about 4mb a second. Again, not sure if this affects CrashPlan, but maybe trying FTP might give you some benchmarks...

Compete shot in the dark but do you have FIOS? And if so do you have Coaxial or cat5 running from your ONT?

If you do, it could be your connection. FIOS scams the crap out of people with coaxial connections... It will say you get 20mbps but you are really getting about. 200k upload. The minute I switched after reading about it my FTPing to my website went for 200k to about 4mb a second. Again, not sure if this affects CrashPlan, but maybe trying FTP might give you some benchmarks...

Nope, I have Comcast. And I've uploaded at the full 20Mbps via torrents before.

I got really horrible speed tests when testing speeds a long distance from me.  I live in middle of USA and the coasts have horrible speeds when I tested but I got close to my rated speeds closer to me.

Must be my ISP.  Worst rated cable company when I did the tests ~6 months ago.  They have been improving their speeds lately so my speed problems may be a thing of the past.  Just a thought that didn't pan out.

Do you have any plans to fix this plugin after the upgrade to rc10? After I upgraded the Crashplan plugin reports it is running while the Grashplan GUI reports it is not. It is actually not running as my computers are unable to backup to it and I am unable to start it from either plugin page.

Do you have any plans to fix this plugin after the upgrade to rc10? After I upgraded the Crashplan plugin reports it is running while the Grashplan GUI reports it is not. It is actually not running as my computers are unable to backup to it and I am unable to start it from either plugin page.

Once I upgraded to rc10 I had to stop the array and then once I started Crashplan everything worked. You might want to try that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this! I have been pounding my head on the wall about why my CP crashed about 25 days ago.  I finally gave up and started from a complete vanilla unRAID, installed these two plugins and it all works beautifully again.

I think the problem was the plugin I had installed wasn't updated to 3.4.1 or something along those lines, it kept saying it was installed and running but wouldn't talk to my desktop.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I installed Crashplan plugin using the instructions in the first post. But I'm not able to access my unraid server using SSH.

I know Openssh shoud have been installed with crashplan but it does not seem to run.

Do I need to configure something ? Should I see a SSH icon in unraid/setting ?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I installed Crashplan plugin using the instructions in the first post. But I'm not able to access my unraid server using SSH.

I know Openssh shoud have been installed with crashplan but it does not seem to run.

Do I need to configure something ? Should I see a SSH icon in unraid/setting ?

Thanks in advance

I did the same thing and I had the same expectation but I had to install opensshd-0.6-i486-rj.plg to get everything up and running.

• 1 month later...

Has everyone stopped using Crashplan on unraid? I can not get mine to stay up anymore. I have made no changes to it but it will not work anymore.

Have you tried increasing crashplan's ram usage?

Is this what fixes it for everyone? How do I do that?

With lots of files and a larger backup it needs to be done.

Edit the CrashPlan engine's /usr/local/crashplan/bin/run.conf file to allow it to use more java memory:

1. Stop the backup engine: http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/how_to/stop_and_start_engine

2. Edit the below line in /usr/local/crashplan/bin/run.conf

3. Find this line (near SRV_JAVA_OPTS): -Xmx512m

4. Edit to something larger such as 2048. E.g.: -Xmx2048m

This sets the maximum amount of memory that CrashPlan can use. CrashPlan will not use that much until it needs it. I would recommend starting out with 2048 due to the large size of your file selection and go higher only if you continue experiencing problems.

5.    Start the backup engine using the information at the above link, and then test to see if the issue remains.

Thanks kbowman. I set the max memory to 2048 for now as you suggested. The instructions on how to stop and start it worked great. CrashPlan GUI is never able to start and stop it as far as I can tell. Maybe I should just remove that addon.

Crashplan is working again for now. It just seems like it dies after a couple of weeks. I'll give it a wait and see if it happens again.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

thrashmag - Thank You for the great guide. Appreciate all the help.

Thanks to you everything installed and running fine, I changed the pplg to install the latest CrashPlan version 3.5.3.

I had one question to you, do I always need to have my putty session up before running CrashPlan from the client  machine (Win 7 PC)and should it be left up while CrashPlan is running?