CrashPlan & CrashPlan GUI Merger Plugin

Hi Guys - i was hoping one of you could lend a hand...

followed the instructions for 3.6.3 on #74:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24875.msg293487#msg293487

installed the plugin from scratch (no previous install) using the "Crashplan.3.6.3.plg" file.

installed it onto my cache drive, it appeared to install java (saw the temp file come and go).

now looking at the plugin in Unraid 5.0.5, it says "stopped" and doesn't switch to "running" at all.

trying to SSH in, no problem, using openSSH on unraid via a plugin.

when running Crashplan from the remote MAC via SSL, obviously get a channel 3: connect failed error because the crashplan plugin isn't working.

any thoughts? screenshot attached.

thank you in advance!

I had that issue and a removal of all crashplan folders and restart of my unraid server resolved it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

installed the plugin from scratch (no previous install) using the "Crashplan.3.6.3.plg" file.

installed it onto my cache drive, it appeared to install java (saw the temp file come and go).

now looking at the plugin in Unraid 5.0.5, it says "stopped" and doesn't switch to "running" at all.

when running Crashplan from the remote MAC via SSL, obviously get a channel 3: connect failed error because the crashplan plugin isn't working.

thank you in advance!

I had that issue and a removal of all crashplan folders and restart of my unraid server resolved it.

I have the same issue, however, a removal and reboot did not resolve it. Any other suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

thank you in advance!

I have the same issue, however, a removal and reboot did not resolve it. Any other suggestions?

Do you see that crashplan is running on your unraid box?

I'm not at home but I believe if you do a

ps -ef | grep -i crashplan

It should show it's running.

Thanks.

I managed to get this installed and configured on 6.0b6.  The only issue is that the plugin GUI is referencing png's that do not exist (should be gif's).  Specifically the green and red on/off images.

i've fixed this... was able to log into the crashplan website, rename the computers with the offending guids, then delete the appropriate computers from the CrashPlan application itself.  CrashPlan needs a usability update badly.

I take this all back.  This plugin has seriously screwed things up for me.  On reboot of the server, crashplan generated a new guid and created a new computer on the crashplan cloud.  I can't delete the new computer as it has the same name and if I delete the wrong one it will remove my entire backup from the cloud.  I don't know why this plugin created a new guid, but it's frustrating as hell.  Hopefully the crashplan support staff can fix things for me.

If I would like to backup CrashPlan every time the server is stopped, I would just modify /boot/config/plugins/crashplan.plg to call createBackup() when the server is stopped?  And I can modify createBackup to keep multiple backups?   

I guess what I'm asking is... the plg file is the entire plugin.  There are no additional scripts that I need to maintain?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have now installed Crashplan and Crashplan GUI, or at least I think I have. I have Crashplan icon in my unRAID GUI settings page, and also Crashplan GUI icon on the same page.

I set "enable Crashplan" to yes, folder to /mnt/cache/.crashplan, and applied settings. Then I clicked on Start. I get a green ball saying Running. When I got to Crashplan GUI under unRAID Settings page, I see "CrashPlan appears to be installed in: /usr/local/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine" which is a different location as I set earlier. There is also no apparent way to set folders to backup and other settings.

What do I do to get it up and running?

Original post:

Well, I tried with the incomplete instructions found in this post. There is no mention of GUI installation, which I tried to install right after rebooting and installing 3.6.3. plugin.

I got the following certificate error, and got stuck there. I added the suggested --no-check-certificate to the installplg command, but it didn't work. Any takers?

EDIT: fixed by adding it to the following line following instructions in this post:

<URL>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699829/Crashplan-logo.png --no-check-certificate</URL>

original error:

root@TheMonolith:~# installplg /boot/config/plugins/Crashplan_gui.plg
installing plugin: Crashplan_gui
file /tmp/cleanup: successfully wrote INLINE file contents
  /bin/bash /tmp/cleanup ... rm: cannot remove `/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/crashplan_gui': No such file or directory
success
file /boot/config/plugins/crashplan_gui/Crashplan-logo.png: downloading from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699829/Crashplan-logo.png ... Cookie coming from dl.dropboxusercontent.com attempted to set domain to dl.dropboxusercontent.com
Cookie coming from dl.dropboxusercontent.com attempted to set domain to dl.dropboxusercontent.com
ERROR: cannot verify dl.dropboxusercontent.com's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert SHA2 High Assurance Server CA':
  Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
To connect to dl.dropboxusercontent.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
bad download, deleting

The Crashplan info on memory usage says it needs about 1GB of RAM per TB of material (or 1 million files) backed up. Has anyone noticed if the memory requirement is more dependent on # files or the backup set size?  I'm curious as I've got 5-6TB of material (video files 3-8GB each) I would like to have backed up, but clearly that's not practical with a 32 bit OS.

Thanks!

The Crashplan info on memory usage says it needs about 1GB of RAM per TB of material (or 1 million files) backed up. Has anyone noticed if the memory requirement is more dependent on # files or the backup set size?  I'm curious as I've got 5-6TB of material (video files 3-8GB each) I would like to have backed up, but clearly that's not practical with a 32 bit OS.

Thanks!

That's for deduplication. For local backups, I think a GB will suffice.

• 2 weeks later...

New Crashplan 3.6.3 merged with the gui plugin

best way to install is

remove previous crashplan plg and crashplan gui plg from /boot/config/plugins

add the new Crashplan.3.6.3.plg to /boot/config/plugins (rename the download from Crashplan.3.6.3.plg.txt to Crashplan.3.6.3.plg)

rename your backup in your install dir from crashplan_backup.tgz to crashplan_backup.old

rename cp_bin folder to CP_bin.old

installplg /boot/config/plugins/Crashplan.3.6.3.plg

this will take some time as he will download the new crashplan package

go to the webpage in your GUI

check the installdir if it is correct

enable the plugin

start the plugin

BE AWARE he will download a new Java version which can take a long time to download

look into /boot/temp and you will see the java version .... when you refresh you will see it grow slowly in size ... i think it should become about 32mb

when the /boot/temp dir dissapears then it is completely installed

you should have a window like the one attached

if you want you can delete the old backup and the old cp_bin folder

you can still change the serviceport in c:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties

so after the installation set the serviceport -> open putty with the port forwarded - > double click on the crashplan tray icon

wait till server window opens

select existing account

add your credentials

IF necessary select which server he needs to adapt too .... (weird one this... on one of my servers he asked to choose which server he needed to take over,  on the other server he took the right account right away)

And all finished

Edited for typo's

Works great, thanks for the plugin.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just set this up tonight with unRaid 5.0.5 and it seems to be working fine. It took me awhile to get all the moving parts lined up (I had to update the .plg so it did not just the certificate for the CrashPlanGUI install).  Seems to upload to my server and I testing restoring a few files which also seems to work.  Time to let this run overnight and see how much it copies over.

• 1 month later...

I just stumbled across a solution for backing up non-array files (such as the USB key) easily.

With the headless server running, I used a windows box and configured it to point to the Unraid crashplan server engine.  Once that was set up, I was able to use the windows gui to backup TOWER.  I selected my /boot directory (it required viewing hidden files for some reason).  I then set up the backup destination as a folder on a non-array drive that I had available in the tower box.

With this setup, I'm ensured that I always have an up to date copy of the USB key data (and versions of files as they change).  It really minimizes the risk of the USB key going bad.

I just stumbled across a solution for backing up non-array files (such as the USB key) easily.

With the headless server running, I used a windows box and configured it to point to the Unraid crashplan server engine.  Once that was set up, I was able to use the windows gui to backup TOWER.  I selected my /boot directory (it required viewing hidden files for some reason).  I then set up the backup destination as a folder on a non-array drive that I had available in the tower box.

With this setup, I'm ensured that I always have an up to date copy of the USB key data (and versions of files as they change).  It really minimizes the risk of the USB key going bad.

I don't know what half that meant  ;D but I may PM you to clarify to this <<< neophyte as I'd love to have a backup of my USB/OS data. I thought the key was linked specifically to the USB device though? Hence, even if you have a backup, if you try to run it on a new USB drive...wouldn't it fail?

What is the game plan if your USB drive fails anyway? Contact Lime Tech for a new key for your new USB device?

When I try to install Crashplan_gui.plg, I get the following error in Putty:

"root@Unraid:~# installplg /boot/config/plugins/Crashplan_gui.plg

installing plugin: Crashplan_gui

file /tmp/cleanup: successfully wrote INLINE file contents

/bin/bash /tmp/cleanup ... rm: cannot remove `/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/crashplan_gui': No such file or directory

success

file /boot/config/plugins/crashplan_gui/Crashplan-logo.png: downloading from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699829/Crashplan-logo.png ... Cookie coming from dl.dropboxusercontent.com attempted to set domain to dl.dropboxusercontent.com

Cookie coming from dl.dropboxusercontent.com attempted to set domain to dl.dropboxusercontent.com

ERROR: cannot verify dl.dropboxusercontent.com's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert SHA2 High Assurance Server CA':

Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.

To connect to dl.dropboxusercontent.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.

bad download, deleting"

Am I doing something wrong? I didn't get any errors while installing Crashplan.plg

• 3 months later...

I apologize if this has been answered in this post, but I could not locate it. It seems that the CrashPlan plugin is designed to utilize the free service and backup files locally. I have over 30TB of data that I want to backup to the web with a paid service. Where can I change the settings to upload to my account there or should I use another computer to do that and map to the UnRaid data?

• 1 month later...

So I'm having an issue with no longer being able to access crashplan via ssh and then run my client.  I've have a tunnel set within putty to forward the port correctly but whenever I run the crashplan gui from my desktop it always connects to my desktop pc and not my unraid box.  I have the ui.properites file configured to serviceport 4200.  I ran a grep -na | grep listen | grep 42 and I don't see port 4243 listed anywhere.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? 

So I'm having an issue with no longer being able to access crashplan via ssh and then run my client.  I've have a tunnel set within putty to forward the port correctly but whenever I run the crashplan gui from my desktop it always connects to my desktop pc and not my unraid box.  I have the ui.properites file configured to serviceport 4200.  I ran a grep -na | grep listen | grep 42 and I don't see port 4243 listed anywhere.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

I just run my local client directly to my unraid box without SSH and I'm having the exact same issue. For the last few weeks I've been unable to connect, it's driving me nuts.