Maz_Atenza 1st build with 15tb

Hi All  8),

Introduction

Hi Guys, its my first post after lots of reading (never enough),

the goal of this build is to make it last for years, performance wise and storage wise. It will be use to house the family pics, my mp3/flac collection and my movie collection. They are presently hosted on many external usb drives. The goal is to stream my video's to a soon to be bought kdLinks HD680 via XBMC (still need opinions on that ???) ( I have 3 Sony DLNA Bravia)

I will definitely need advise and help on this build

My build

Case

Norco RPC-470 4U Rackmount Server Case 3X5.25 11X3.5

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=48397

CPU

AMD A10-5800K APU Quad Core Processor Socket FM2 3.8GHZ 4MB 100W Retail Box

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113280&Tpk=AMD%20A10-5800K%20APU%20Quad%20Core%20Processor%20Socket%20FM2%203

MOBO

ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4 FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157341

CPU Cooler

Zalman CNPS 5x Performa PURECOPPER/ALU 92MM Fan CPU Cooler LGA1156 1155 775 AM3 AM2 FM1

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67721&vpn=CNPS%205X%20Performa&manufacture=Others&promoid=1033

Ram

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL10S-8GBXL

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231527

Hard Drive

4xWestern Digital Red 3TB SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD

1 parity, 3 storage = 9tb , future 2x3tb for a total 15tb

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74269

PSU

KINGWIN Absolute Platinum Series AP-550 550W ATX 12V v2.2, EPS 12V v2.91 and SSI EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121094

for O/S

Using a new flash drive  USB 3.0

Transcend JetFlash 700 4GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Model TS4GJF700

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208600

Cache drive

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB-7 2.5" 60GB SATA III 7mm Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226370&Tpk=Mushkin%20Enhanced%20Chronos%20MKNSSDCR60GB-7%202.5%22%2060GB

Comments:

I will use UnRaid 5.0

I have zero experience with Linux/Unraid and all plugins are new to me.

I consider myself pretty techie but I'm a noob here for sure.

Any advice to reach my goal will be greatly appreciated.  :o

I'm still waiting to receive all my parts that I bought mostly on boxing week.

Main goal is streaming my movie collection to 3 tv and 1 future 1080P projector

Regards  ;D

M@z_@tenza

Hi Shat

thanks for the reply

Raspberry Pi is an interesting option, this way I dont need XBMC to be install on my unraid tower ? the flash drive install on the Raspberry Pi itself will do the job? is there any remote compatible? the wife wont be using mouse and keyboard for sure.

what cases did you use for your tubes?

Thanks

Looking at the hardware listed I wonder if you are building an HTPC or a unraid server.

The AMD A10 is way overkill. You really don't need that much power for unraid.

A lower powered AMD or Intel will do just fine. 4 GB memory is enough. A 2 GB USB stick can hold unraid plus many plugins.

As far as mediaplayers: The one you listed is just one of the many Realtek 1185 based players. It all depends on the which formats media files you play.

I don't think you will benefit of using a USB 3.0 flash. My guess is it doesn't matter.

I'll second, it looks like you're trying to build a high end HTPC.

going forward... with your picks.

Overkill on CPU for just file serving.

that board has the Realtek 8111E. you'll have to run a newer RC5.

60gb cache dive is pretty small. unless you plan to migrate less then 60GB a day.

That case is a bit odd for a server. if you already have it then OK.

the ram is overkill. but it is cheap. so its fine.

I don't know if you'll gain anything from a usb3 flash. but you never know... (assuming the controller is seen as usb3 in unraid)

3x3TB is not 15tb .. but I think I know what you meant.

I agree with BLK. Build unraid to be ugly and functional. Like an old caprice or dodge dynasty. It's ugly as sin but will run forever with minimal maintenance.

Add XBMC to Pi. I have many pi in the wild and having no issues. Best $50 or less HTPC on the market. The APC.io is fun but worthless. I bought two for testing and about to give them away.

There are many usb compatible remotes for xbmc - there is a list on their site - the one I have has a usb infrared receiver - I can point the remote at the ceiling and it still picks it up.

Pi is a good choice, make sure to get the 512mb version - I had some Acer Revo Ions laying around that i used

Myk

Thanks Guys for all your reply an interesting info  ;D,

I have decided to go with an overkill hardware tower for 2 reasons,

1st as I said for the long run, we never know what will be needed in the future and the boxing day deals I found were pretty good.

2nd having no experience with linux and coming from Windows I currently use trans coding on the fly with Serviio via a laptop to my Bravia's. Sony being Sony, its very picky in what format it will read. Trans coding require better hardware and we don't know what will be required for the long run.

I didnt know about Raspberry Pi at that time

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that board has the Realtek 8111E. you'll have to run a newer RC5.

60gb cache dive is pretty small. unless you plan to migrate less then 60GB a day.

That case is a bit odd for a server. if you already have it then OK.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-anybody can shed a light on RC5 and what will I need

2-regarding the cache drive, can it be added after I migrate all my files on the tower?

once the migration is done I will not need to transfer more than 60bg a day ever

3-I picked this case because it has 8 Internal 3.5" Drive Bays but mainly because it will sit in my 42U rackmount for my future home theater in the basement.

I will look into this usb infrared receiver for remote because my rackmount will be located about 20' back of the viewing location.

In my initial post I was talking about kdLinks HD680 because I had plan this box for my projector and the Bravias with Serviio on the fly trans coding.

Since I discovered OpenELEC I do like the front end of XBMC OpenELEC way better than Serviio.

But I only know Serviio and its doing an amazing job right now technically but not aesthetically.

Like I said Im a total noob here and would like your guidance on this.

My Bravias are UPnP and DLNA is there any way I could have OpenELEC install directly on the tower

and run on the bravias or there's no other way that Raspberry Pi B all the 3 ?

For guidance I stream all types of files including FLVs.

Thanks Guys :-\

I feel like all this new information plus all the unraid info is mixing in a blender in my head at max speed lol

its getting a bit confusing, I apologize if it looks strange  :o

PS: the 15tb is the plan for the future 

8 drive case 3.5

1 parity

5x3tb 15tb

2 spares ( I dont think I will reach 15tb, if then I will buy a raid card)

1 cache 2.5

M@z

I tried the upnp dlna on both my Samsung and Sony TV's.

I was not digging the restrictions, limited formats and limited documentation/support for it all.

I went with XBMC on small form factor PC's.

For my main theater setup i have a newer Mac Mini (freebee from work). for the rest of my TV's I have a couple of older Acer Revo's mounted to the VESA mounts on the backs of the TV 's.

If the Raspberry Pi was around when i built my media empire, I would have looked into them. they look nice. Especially for the price.

Then again so do the overpriced Intel NUC's.

Some updates;

Since my Silverstone case was back ordered with no eta for shipping I changed that for a

Norco RPC-470 4U Rackmount Server Case 3X5.25 11X3.5

since its going in my rackmount, this case will be perfect for my need plus the fact that its bigger so cooling will be improved and theres more room for upgrading  ;D 11x3.25 +3x5.25.

from the saving $$ I got another WD 3TB red ;D

I ordered also a Raspberry Pi 512mb for testing, I did find it at msrp of 35$, price have jumped on the net due to shortage of stock.

Ive seen 200%msrp on ebay!!! I figured it was a good time to pick it up. If anyone need the website just ask, they have them in stock at msrp.

about the mobo, I missed out on some important hardware guidelines...my bad. :-X

yes its not ideal but thats the plan since I have it already,

No onboard video (remedied by a additional PCI or PCIe videocard, for the initial boot setup).

Enough PCI x3, PCIe slots 2x(x16, x4,) 2x(x1).

6 SATA slots.

8111E LAN chip (remedied by using 5.0beta or additional NIC)

to do;

source old pci or pcie video card

wait to receive all parts

read,read,read.......read some more lol

question

is this guide still up to date for V5 ?

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Configuration_Tutorial

thanks for your info ;)

@maz_atenza

Cache Drive  I'll have to agree with other posters, Your cache drive is really small.  You will only be able to transfer one BluRay disk per day with out overloading the cache drive (one BD disk can be up to 50GB).  One other concern is your drive is solid state.  Most solid state drives support the TRIM command.  Unraid DOES NOT.  Make sure this drive has the garbage collection built in, instead of depending on the OS to perform the tasks.  Otherwise performance of the disk will slow to a crawl.

For me personally I use XBMC.  Never been happier, and runs my predominant media container MKV.  I have also used an Acer Veriton ATOM mini pc and it has worked really well also.  I don't trans code anything.  I keep everything uncompressed from my DVD's and BluRay's.

--Sideband Samurai

Thanks Sideband Samurai

I might just keep the cache drive for a future win build for an OS drive and forget the cache for now or install a different drive in the later stage.

I think ill take one bite at the time and looks like my bowl is pretty full right now  :P

on the good news and to prove that Im not up to date :-X

I was researching my option to shove an old graphic card for the initial setup

but to my surprise I found out that yes my mobo has no onboard video BUT...

my CPU have onboard video :o :o geez things change fast in the pc world lol

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4501108

many have asked for my Rasp Pi website

Ill put it here to make things easier ( if not allowed Mod please remove)

site is wwwZmcmelectronicsZcom

replace the Z with .

Thanks for your comments

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update

I received all my parts, some took longer due to boxing day and new year sales to ship.

Im working on multiple thing at the time and Im not sure its a good thing :o

expanding wifi coverage with a new DD-WRT firmware on a dusty router plus adding a few sitches to my network

Working on the Raspberry pi and reading....

Now for Unraid

My hardware build is now done pics below

I have updated my BIOS to the latest firmware by INTERNET!! wow its a 1st for me to have an option in the BIOS for live update 1 min and it was done!!

I have formatted and installed unraid free on my flash drive (used a 2.0 with advice from members here and kept my 3.0 for file transfer)

All went well

Now my next steps are to start unraid in the tower

run 2 pass of memtest

follow the setup guide

I have a question;

about my ram its ddr3-1866

77377421.th.jpg

56646851.th.jpg

on my main BIOS page its says ddr3-1333

50202457.th.jpg

but when I got further in my BIOS it say this

55660219.th.jpg

Am I missing something here??

heres the build pics

42674570.th.jpg

23559208.th.jpg

87189209.th.jpg

65036140.th.jpg

86093227.th.jpg

91429355.th.jpg

58522776.th.jpg

51378179.th.jpg

75769817.th.jpg

56855384.th.jpg

71098955.th.jpg

65051395.th.jpg

12216523.th.jpg

93705908.th.jpg

13608845.th.jpg

BIOS internet update

37111949.th.jpg

The Raspberry Pi

85292059.th.jpg

The preclear was a pain on 3tb drive 35+hours... :-\

all went well no errors, format done array started with no issues

I have set my shares but I ran into an issue and I need some help

im using split level 3 with the below tree

photo3qoz.jpg

I have uploaded a few files for testing via teracopy

my problem is when I go to my network share all the file shows in the proper folder

but when I check each disk everything is going on disk1

all my other disk are empty, no folder created , not even media...

What im doing wrong here???

another issue is terracopy

Im experiencing very slow transfer speed with read test 5Mb to 8.5Mb speed

is this normal?

Thanks for reading and your comments

M@z

this is my share.cfg if anyone want to help me out

# Generated settings:

shareComment="media server"

shareInclude=""

shareExclude=""

shareUseCache="no"

shareAllocator="highwater"

shareSplitLevel="3"

shareFloor="20000000"

shareExport="e"

shareSecurity="public"

shareReadList=""

shareWriteList=""

shareExportNFS="-"

shareExportNFSFsid="0"

shareSecurityNFS="public"

shareHostListNFS=""

shareExportAFP="-"

shareSecurityAFP="public"

shareReadListAFP=""

shareWriteListAFP=""

shareVolsizelimitAFP=""

all the directory I created under media are showing on disk 1 and nothing on the other disk

I want to fix this issue before I start migrating the files

Also, does high water need to reach a certain point(say 20gb) before going to another disk?

maybe that's the reason I have everything on disk 1?

I transferred 29GB to date as my test and to diff directory(media type)

anyone got a hint for me?

• 2 weeks later...

got my answer here for my shares, thanks to the Admin! Tom!

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25608.0

I finally flashed my 2nd router with dd-wrt and set up as second AP on my network

not the greatest solution: 2 login but its full bandwith vs repeater half bandwith

Now UnRaid looks to be working fine, I will explore pluggins later

Im trying to work with mediamonkey to sort my audio media and create a proper tree..

after my movie will be to sort

if anyone have tips for me I will greatly appreciate

I need to create all folders for my movies...

Thanks to help if you can, comments have been very dry in the last few weeks :-X

• 10 months later...