VirtualBox compiled for unRAID

@lainie

could you pplease clarify what version of the packages are using to compile?

Are you using the packages from the 13.1 repo as described on this wikie? http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Installing_VirtualBox_in_unRAID

Because of dvb support I have a custom compiled kernel. I used newer compiler than what is described above and now your virtualbox packages doesn't fit in. I am just guessing that this is the reason, but would be a big help to know what packages are you using.

Thank you!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... could you pplease clarify what version of the packages are using to compile? ...

It is probably the same ones listed in the wiki. I downloaded them a while back & to install just run

installpkg *.t?z

For unRAID 5.x all kernels:

binutils-2.20.51.0.8-i486-1.txz
cxxlibs-6.0.13-i486-2.txz
gcc-4.4.4-i486-1.txz
gcc-g++-4.4.4-i486-1.txz
glibc-2.11.1-i486-3.txz
make-3.81-i486-1.txz
mpfr-2.4.2p03-i486-1.txz
ncurses-5.7-i486-1.txz
patch-2.5.4-i486-1.txz
perl-5.10.1-i486-1.txz

For unRAID 4.7 kernel:

binutils-2.18.50.0.9-i486-1.tgz
cpio-2.5-i486-3.tgz
cxxlibs-6.0.9-i486-1.tgz
gcc-4.2.4-i486-1.tgz
glibc-2.7-i486-17.tgz
make-3.81-i486-1.tgz
ncurses-5.6-i486-3.tgz
patch-2.5.4-i486-1.tgz
perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz
pkgtools-12.1.0-noarch-7.tgz

Need some help logging in to the phpvirtualbox...

Installed per instructions on your webpage and cannot login to virtual box via the web browser. I have read all of this thread and I believe that I have everything setup correctly. I did notice that the config.php file was not setup originally, so that may be where the problem lies. I renamed it and changed the user and password for the unraid server so they would match.

Where do I go from here?

Need some help logging in to the phpvirtualbox...

Installed per instructions on your webpage and cannot login to virtual box via the web browser. I have read all of this thread and I believe that I have everything setup correctly. I did notice that the config.php file was not setup originally, so that may be where the problem lies. I renamed it and changed the user and password for the unraid server so they would match.

Where do I go from here?

Anyone? Still can't IP in to it...

There is a wiki page for phpvirtualbox at http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/w/list that lists some common errors with phpvirtualbox. If you have a problem with it that is not listed there, click the Issues tab link, click the dropdown box next to Search (which is default set to Open Issues) & change it to "All Issues" then use the next box to type part of your error message & click the Search button.

There is a wiki page for phpvirtualbox at http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/w/list that lists some common errors with phpvirtualbox. If you have a problem with it that is not listed there, click the Issues tab link, click the dropdown box next to Search (which is default set to Open Issues) & change it to "All Issues" then use the next box to type part of your error message & click the Search button.

Thanks but I believe I am closer than most of those issues seem to be. Here is what I have done:

Installed everything per your instructions and run each program and get the "similar output" ie:

root@tower:~# installpkg /boot/packages/vbox-4.x.x-unRAID-3.x.x.tgz

Verifying package vbox-4.x.x-unRAID-3.x.x.tgz.

Installing package vbox-4.x.x-unRAID-3.x.x.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

Executing install script for vbox-4.x.x-unRAID-3.x.x.tgz.

Package vbox-4.x.x-unRAID-3.x.x.tgz installed.

root@tower:~# vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /dev/null >/dev/null

Oracle VM VirtualBox web service version 4.x.x

© 2005-2012 Oracle Corporation

All rights reserved.

root@tower:~# VBoxManage extpack install /boot/packages/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.x.x.vbox-extpack

0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%

Successfully installed "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack".

root@tower:~#

This would indicate to me that everything is up and running properly. When I try to use my browser via IP address it cannot load the page. No prompt to "login" as other have noted. No php errors or anything else. I tried: http://192.168.1.4:8084/phpvirtualbox-4.2-4/ = Working as Pyrater suggested and still not able to see the VB.

/var/log/syslog:

Jan 22 18:17:54 TOWER kernel: vboxdrv: Found 4 processor cores.

Jan 22 18:17:54 TOWER kernel: vboxdrv: fAsync=0 offMin=0x4d8 offMax=0x1287

Jan 22 18:17:54 TOWER kernel: vboxdrv: TSC mode is 'synchronous', kernel timer mode is 'normal'.

Jan 22 18:17:54 TOWER kernel: vboxdrv: Successfully loaded version 4.2.6 (interface 0x001a0004).

Jan 22 18:17:54 TOWER groupadd[7164]: group added to /etc/group: name=vboxusers, GID=1000

Jan 22 18:17:54 TOWER groupadd[7164]: group added to /etc/gshadow: name=vboxusers

Jan 22 18:17:54 TOWER groupadd[7164]: new group: name=vboxusers, GID=1000

Jan 22 18:17:54 TOWER usermod[7168]: add 'root' to group 'vboxusers'

Jan 22 18:17:54 TOWER usermod[7168]: add 'root' to shadow group 'vboxusers'

Jan 22 18:17:55 TOWER usermod[7173]: add 'nobody' to group 'vboxusers'

Jan 22 18:17:55 TOWER usermod[7173]: add 'nobody' to shadow group 'vboxusers'

netstat= tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:18083        0.0.0.0:*              LISTEN

ps aux | grep vboxweb =

root      7264  0.0  0.1  29744  8488 ?        Sl  18:18  0:00 /opt/VirtualBox                                /vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /dev/null

root      9954  0.0  0.1  29744  8720 ?        Sl  18:28  0:00 /opt/VirtualBox                                /vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /dev/null

root    19066  0.0  0.0  2448  584 pts/0    S+  19:49  0:00 grep vboxweb

I attached my config file.

EDIT: I could not get my Plex Media Server to run when I ran all three programs to get VB up and going. I restarted the server and did not try to install VB and the Plex Plugin works now. Could this be part of my problem?

Thoughts?

config.txt

I'll assume you have the packages copied over to the correct locations and that SimpleFeatures web server is setup properly.

This works for me on RC10 (you may want to reboot your server for a clean start).

Run these from a telnet session:

installpkg /boot/packages/vbox-4.x.x-unRAID-3.x.x.tgz

webvboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /var/log/vbox.log

VBoxManage extpack install /boot/packages/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.x.x.vbox-extpack

Start (or restart if its already running) SimpleFeatures web server.

Thanks but I believe I am closer than most of those issues seem to be. Here is what I have done:

This would indicate to me that everything is up and running properly. When I try to use my browser via IP address it cannot load the page. No prompt to "login" as other have noted. No php errors or anything else. I tried: http://192.168.1.4:8084/phpvirtualbox-4.2-4/ = Working as Pyrater suggested and still not able to see the VB.

EDIT: I could not get my Plex Media Server to run when I ran all three programs to get VB up and going. I restarted the server and did not try to install VB and the Plex Plugin works now. Could this be part of my problem?

Thoughts?

Everything looks like it is running that should be. You mentioned Plex... that made me think about other plugins... Are you running Newznab or Spotweb or anything that includes rewrite rules for your web server? I don't run Plex, so not sure if it had you change any settings on the web server; I know both spotweb & newznab require rewrite rules which do not play well with other web applications.

If rewrite rules from another program is the issue, let me direct you to this post by jangjong in the spotweb thread. I used his information to have newznab on its own port, spotweb on its own port & phpvirtualbox running on the same port as PHPMyAdmin, all on the same system.

Thoughts?

Everything looks like it is running that should be. You mentioned Plex... that made me think about other plugins... Are you running Newznab or Spotweb or anything that includes rewrite rules for your web server? I don't run Plex, so not sure if it had you change any settings on the web server; I know both spotweb & newznab require rewrite rules which do not play well with other web applications.

If rewrite rules from another program is the issue, let me direct you to this post by jangjong in the spotweb thread. I used his information to have newznab on its own port, spotweb on its own port & phpvirtualbox running on the same port as PHPMyAdmin, all on the same system.

I was playing with Newznab but have put it on the back burner for the time being. I will remove it and see if that sorts it out. Thanks!

I'll assume you have the packages copied over to the correct locations and that SimpleFeatures web server is setup properly.

This works for me on RC10 (you may want to reboot your server for a clean start).

Run these from a telnet session:

installpkg /boot/packages/vbox-4.x.x-unRAID-3.x.x.tgz

webvboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /var/log/vbox.log

VBoxManage extpack install /boot/packages/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.x.x.vbox-extpack

Start (or restart if its already running) SimpleFeatures web server.

I think from the other post that it might be Newznab getting in the way, but I will need to confirm that when I get home (at office now). I have SimpleFeatures up and running and the installs of all three files check out so I hope it will be a conflict with Newznab at this point.

Thoughts?

I copied jangjong  lighttpd.cfg file to my flash and restarted. Installed all three sucessfully & did both setproperty on page one of this thread.

Still cannot login. UGH! :)

I have tried 192.168.1.3:8084 & :8084/phpvirtualbox-4.24 with no luck. Is there a log file somewhere that would show me why I cannot login or maybe the wrong port?

Thanks in advance for all your help, I hope to get this working soon.

-J

I'm not sure I am getting a full picture of what is going on, so let me get you to clarify your last post.

I copied jangjong  lighttpd.cfg file to my flash and restarted.

You copied exactly what jangjong listed? (which includes IP address, port numbers & paths for his setup, not yours)

His post is a guideline for your to see how multiple rewrite rules can be used on different ports. You will need to put in your IP address, the path to your web directories... might be able to use the port numbers he listed, but can also change them to be something easy for you to remember (just need to make sure nothing else on your system is using the port number you choose).

Installed all three sucessfully & did both setproperty on page one of this thread.

Installed all 3 what? Vbox, vboxwebsrv & the extension pack are the 3 I think you mean.

For setproperty, I think you mean you ran these 2:

VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary default

VBoxManage setproperty vrdeauthlibrary default

If you are able to get a login prompt, but having trouble logging in, then running "VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null" without the quotes would fix that.

I have tried 192.168.1.3:8084 & :8084/phpvirtualbox-4.24 with no luck. Is there a log file somewhere that would show me why I cannot login or maybe the wrong port?

This will depend on how you setup your lighttpd.cfg file & what port & path you set. Did you remove any settings you originally configured for newznab? Or did you specify a path to phpvirtualbox on another port?

I'm not sure I am getting a full picture of what is going on, so let me get you to clarify your last post.

I copied jangjong  lighttpd.cfg file to my flash and restarted.

You copied exactly what jangjong listed? (which includes IP address, port numbers & paths for his setup, not yours) Yes, that's exactly what I did. I didn't realize that it would need some tweaking. I guess if I knew what that script did, that would help.  :-[

His post is a guideline for your to see how multiple rewrite rules can be used on different ports. You will need to put in your IP address, the path to your web directories... might be able to use the port numbers he listed, but can also change them to be something easy for you to remember (just need to make sure nothing else on your system is using the port number you choose). Does the Virtual Box create or modify this file in Simplefeatures when it is installed? IE: if I didn't have Newznab already installed would this file even exist or what would it look like with just VB running?

Installed all three sucessfully & did both setproperty on page one of this thread.

Installed all 3 what? Vbox, vboxwebsrv & the extension pack are the 3 I think you mean. Correct

For setproperty, I think you mean you ran these 2:

VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary default Correct

VBoxManage setproperty vrdeauthlibrary default Correct

If you are able to get a login prompt, but having trouble logging in, then running "VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null" without the quotes would fix that. Not able to get to the login prompt which I guess would be due to the lightpd file not being setup correctly?

This will depend on how you setup your lighttpd.cfg file & what port & path you set. Did you remove any settings you originally configured for newznab? Or did you specify a path to phpvirtualbox on another port? Neither, I copied his settings and restarted. I have a copy of what was originally there. I have limited knowledge of what the file does, so any areas or threads you can point to would be a big help as to what to have in there along side of it to make VB work would be a big help. Also, if I figure out how to uninstall Newznab will that file need to be there and does VB use it for anything?

Thanks again for all your help, some of the unraid stuff and plugin's I understand. The coding side and how they all tie together is a weakness.

Hi, I also have issue to login ....

I have done this ...

1:installpkg vbox-4.2.6-unRAID-3.4.24.tgz

2:vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /dev/null >/dev/null 

3: VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.2.6-82870.vbox-extpack

4: Installed phpvirtualbox-4.2-4 into /mnt/cache/www

5: added /mnt/cache/www/phpvirtualbox-4.2-4 to port 8091 in /boot/config/plugins/simpleFeatures/lighttpd.cfg

below is my lighttpd.cfg

# User customizations
# Add your own settings here. These won't get overwritten upon reboot
## Abdd your own settings here. These won't get overwritten upon reboot
#

$SERVER["socket"] == "192.168.0.199:8084" {
        server.document-root = "/mnt/cache/www/newznab/www/"

url.rewrite-once = (
                "^/.*\.(css|jpg|jpeg|gif|png|js|ico)" => "$0",
                "^/(admin|install).*$" => "$0",
                "^/([^/\.]+)/?(?:\?(.*))$" => "index.php?page=$1&$2",
                "^/([^/\.]+)/?$" => "index.php?page=$1",
                "^/([^/\.]+)/([^/]+)/?(?:\?(.*))$" => "index.php?page=$1&id=$2&$3",
                "^/([^/\.]+)/([^/]+)/?$" => "index.php?page=$1&id=$2",
                "^/([^/\.]+)/([^/]+)/([^/]+)/?$" => "index.php?page=$1&id=$2&subpage=$3"
        )
}

$SERVER["socket"] == "192.168.0.199:8088" {
        server.document-root = "/mnt/cache/www/phpMyAdmin-3.5.5-all-languages/"

url.rewrite-once = (
         "^/api\?(.*)" => "/index.php?page=newznabapi&$1"
        )
}

$SERVER["socket"] == "192.168.0.199:8086" {
        server.document-root = "/mnt/cache/www/spotweb/"

url.rewrite-once = (
        )
}

$SERVER["socket"] == "192.168.0.199:8087" {
        server.document-root = "/mnt/cache/www/owncloud/"

url.rewrite-once = (
        )
}

$SERVER["socket"] == "192.168.0.199:8089" {
        server.document-root = "/mnt/cache/www/ajaxplorer/"

url.rewrite-once = (
        )
}

$SERVER["socket"] == "192.168.0.199:8090" {
        server.document-root = "/mnt/cache/www/eXtplorer/"

url.rewrite-once = (
        )
}

$SERVER["socket"] == "192.168.0.199:8091" {
        server.document-root = "/mnt/cache/www/phpvirtualbox-4.2-4/"

url.rewrite-once = (
        )
}

I got this errror when logging  in,  http://tower:8091/ "Error logging in to vboxwebsrv"

Exception Object
(
    [message:protected] => Error logging in to vboxwebsrv.
    [string:Exception:private] => 
    [code:protected] => 64
    [file:protected] => /mnt/cache/www/phpvirtualbox-4.2-4/lib/ajax.php
    [line:protected] => 128
    [trace:Exception:private] => Array
        (
        )

[previous:Exception:private] => 
)

I have also done this...

VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

oh hello. so many people are using my lighttpd.cfg lol

peter_sm,

First of all, you DON'T NEED this line for every sockets:

url.rewrite-once = (
)

It's only required for spotweb, so you can remove that line from other sockets except for spotweb.

Now..

Instead of running

vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /dev/null >/dev/null  

I recommend running

vboxwebsrv -b -H 192.168.0.199 --logfile /dev/null >/dev/null  

For you.

so instead of 127.0.0.1, it will have the ip address of your unraid machine.

AND, here is the important part.

Navigate to /mnt/cache/www/phpvirtualbox-4.2-4/

If you  haven't already, change config.php-example to config.php..

open up config.php,

Change

var $location = 'http://127.0.0.1:18083/';

this line to

var $location = 'http://192.168.0.199:18083/';

Also, I know lainie mentioned in the instruction not to do this yet.. but I did it anyway just to by pass it.

Uncomment this line from config.php

var $noAuth = true;

This should bypass the authentication.. Sometime I was actually having a problem with logging in to phpvirtualbox itself, so this helped me to just pass that problem.

Then access phpvirtualbox with "http://192.168.0.199:8091" instead of "http://Tower:8091"

Let me know how this works.

lainie - just wanted to thank you for putting this together. Works really nicely so thank you.

One tip for the unwise- and no I did not do this and then struggle for 6 hours until I had one of those 'no it can't be that obvious moments', no siree bob - if you are creating a new virtual machine the default hd it creates writes out to the flash drive. So it tends to abort half way through any OS install when it runs out of space. Creating a new VM and manually adding a virtual HD to one of your user mnt's makes everything work. Wow glad I did not make that mistake..... ;)

Tolax

oh hello. so many people are using my lighttpd.cfg lol

peter_sm,

Let me know how this works.

Still issue to login :(

EDIT

I executet this again.. VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

Now I got this warning, but I type in same pass and username that is in config.php... ??

Invalid username or password.

Just to make sure you're doing it in correct order..

[*]installpkg vbox-4.2.6-unRAID-3.4.24.tgz

[*]VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

[*]vboxwebsrv -b -H 192.168.0.199 --logfile /dev/null >/dev/null 

[*]VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.2.6-82870.vbox-extpack

You need to set websrvauthlibrary to null BEFORE you run vboxwebsrv..

If you set it after you ran vboxwebsrv command, you need to kill the process and rerun it.

OH

and the default log in for phpvirtualbox is "admin/admin", not the one shown in the config file.

That's actually for the local user that is running vboxwebsrv... which we don't need since we are setting that authentication to null

Oh.. and another thing i want to mention..

if you've read my post before in this thread, i found a problem where

This line of the command causes the permission for "/dev/null" to be changed.. and this cause some other plug-ins to function incorrectly.

so instead of setting the logfile to /dev/null, I recommend creating a folder somewhere.. make a folder like /mnt/cache/vbox/log or something.

Then run it like this..

vboxwebsrv -b -H 192.168.0.199 --logfile /mnt/cache/vbox/log >/dev/null 

Oh.. and another thing i want to mention..

if you've read my post before in this thread, i found a problem where

This line of the command causes the permission for "/dev/null" to be changed.. and this cause some other plug-ins to function incorrectly.

so instead of setting the logfile to /dev/null, I recommend creating a folder somewhere.. make a folder like /mnt/cache/vbox/log or something.

Then run it like this..

vboxwebsrv -b -H 192.168.0.199 --logfile /mnt/cache/vbox/log >/dev/null 

I need to try this when I get home. Thanks Jang!!