Older Motherboards - No USB Boot

I don't know how to boot from a cdrom since i never find how to do it.

So, now, i boot from a HD.

Here's my how to :

1- find yourself a old HD, like 5-10 GB or less. Do not use a 1Tb since we'll only use 2 GB of it, the rest will be spoiled. Look in your garage or your neighbour's.

2- connect it to your PC. You can do it with an usb adaptor or directly on the MB.

3- make sure there's no rest of any old partition on it nor any MBR information, etc... Make it completely blank, as new. Use fdisk for that. I did it with a g-parted live disk. Delete all partitions and MBR informations.

4- make a 2GB partition. Format it in FAT16. Don't make it bootable. Don't name it UNRAID

5- apply the syslinux command to that partition as you would do to the usb flash key.

6- Copy all the usb flash key files onto the HD

7- connect the HD to your unraid machine and configure the bios to boot from that HD.

8- connect the usb flash key and boot your unraid machine.

The machine will boot from the HD (fast) but will mount the flash key as boot.

To be sure, i put the same files onto the HD and the flash key. When i have to change someting, i do it on both.

With Joe.L. unmenu, you can mount the HD outside the array and add or remove or replace files as you do to the flash key

:)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

FreeDos 1.44M STD Image with grub4dos.

Hopefully this floppy kicker will help once you get the files installed onto a hard drive.

If I have a chance this weekend I'll try and make a CD Image. If I do, I'll distribute via torrent, so you would need a torrent client.

http://www.cotrone.com/rob/projects/unraid/fdstd144.zip

I know this is thread necromancy, but I've been trying for a couple of days to get my older machine to run UNRAID. It's an older Elitegroup K7S6A mobo and for some reason will not boot off the USB flash. I've tried several utilities and a few other flash drives with no luck. So I resorted to trying to make a bootable CDROM, unfortunately with no luck. Would you mind posting that ISO? Or some instructions on how to setup UNRAID on a CDROM? I've searched here and on other forums, but the threads seem to lead to incomplete instructions or outdated dead links.

Thank you.

I had a litle spare time this week so i did some research for boot from a CD.

And I did find this :

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#cdrommi

Under windows xp.

Modify like this :

1* Download  BCD full package v1.1.1 (523KB).

Unpack the BCD package to some folder for example d:\bcd. If you want to be able to run it from a server you should unpack it to a share from where your workstations can run it. You will need to map a drive letter to that share and run bcd using that drive letter.

Make sure you also unpack the subdirectories!

2* Download  BFD full package v1.0.7 (1.45MB).

Unpack BFD in the same directory as BCD, for example d:\bcd.

If you have already unpacked BCD, then some files from BFD will overlap with files from BCD, like the nu2lic.txt and the bchoice.exe. This is no problem, just skip or overwrite them.

Make sure you also unpack the subdirectories!

3* Download cdrommi.zip (16KB) and unpack it into the same folder as where you have installed BCD/BFD.

4* Update  /bcd/cds/cdrommi/files/isolinux/isolinux.bin with the one attached. Delete the file isolinux.cfg.

5* Add the unRAID files in /bcd/cds/cdrommi/files/isolinux/  and rename syslinux.cfg to isolinux.cfg

6* Open a command prompt, change to the BCD folder and run "bcd cdrommi" to build your ISO image.

You'll find the iso image in the C:\Documents and Settings\ABCDEF\Local Settings\Temp

Note : replace ABCDEF with your session name.

Plug your unRAID usb key. Boot with the cdrom (see you mobo bios for how to).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, Ok, question time.

I have a 2.1G Hard drive formatted and booting UnRaid 4.4.2

used "Syslinux -maf x: (where x is 2.1G drives drive letter).

This drive is labelled 'UNRAID' and booting perfectly with everything running fine.

This also has BubbaRaid installed and running, with rtorrent used mostly.

I do not plan to exceed two hard drives, so the question is, Do I still need a USB FLash Drive connected?

The reason I ask is I am building another NAS box with UnRaid 4.5Beta12, and am attempting to setup unweb so I can run the latest rtorrent version with rutorrent gui.

Apart from the license key for 4 or more drives in you UnRaid, is the Flash used for anything else?

I have plenty of small capacity drives lying around (even a couple of 540Mb's, waste not want not, ya know).

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

The usb stick is only necessery if you have a licence key.

If you are just using the free version (2 data + 1 parity), you're just fine the way you are.

If you upgrade to the plus or pro version, you'll have to use the usb stick, labelled it UNRAID and labelled your booting HD something else (like bootdisk or so).

unRAID will mount the labelled drive UNRAID as /boot and look for the licence key.

It will also save the syslog in that drive and look for the configuration files.

The HD will only be use for booting (bzroot and bzimage). All other files will be ignore as unraid will only look in /boot for them (go, etc...).

In your case, your HD labelled UNRAID will be mount as /boot

The usb stick is only necessery if you have a licence key.

If you are just using the free version (2 data + 1 parity), you're just fine the way you are.

If you upgrade to the plus or pro version, you'll have to use the usb stick, labelled it UNRAID and labelled your booting HD something else (like bootdisk or so).

unRAID will mount the labelled drive UNRAID as /boot and look for the licence key.

It will also save the syslog in that drive and look for the configuration files.

The HD will only be use for booting (bzroot and bzimage). All other files will be ignore as unraid will only look in /boot for them (go, etc...).

In your case, your HD labelled UNRAID will be mount as /boot

Sweet!  Exactly the answer I was hoping for.

Just one small question, As I boot from HD, labelled 'UNRAID', there isn't any know issues running addon's like Bubbaraid or UnMenu etc?  These programs aren't looking for files on Flash Drive.  I suspect it's all to do with where /boot is mapped to, but just want to be sure.

Thanks for the Info.

Rob

unraid will mount the drive labelled UNRAID as /boot

If you keep the HD labelled UNRAID, it will not mount the usb stick and will not find it's GUID => the registration key file will not match

You need to rename the HD (anything but unraid) and name the usb stick UNRAID.

Just copy every files from your HD to the usb stick and you should be fine.

I think you're confused here - he's trying NOT to use a USB.

I don't think he is confused... he is saying...

If you decide to purchase an upgrade license from lime-technology to be able to add more that 2 data drives, then you will need to plug in a USB-Flash drive with a serial number that matches the one in the license.key file.  At that time, the USB flash drive will need to be labeled "UNRAID" and the hard-disk he is booting from needs to be labeled something else.

At that time, the "config" folder needs to be located on the USB flash drive as it will be mounted at /boot and it will be the one used.

Until that time, the config folder on the hard disk being booted from will be mounted at /boot.

If he decides to upgrade to unRAID Plus, or unRAID Pro, he needs to format the flash drive, NOT install syslinux, since it will not be booting, but label it UNRAID since it will be mounted and looked for the .key file.

Joe L.

Ah.  I didn't think we were giving him advice in advance of his request.

But all of that is true when he wants to upgrade.  When I set up my non-usb booting test system, I just used an old drive to launch PLoP and boot from the usb that way all instructions and upgrades were totally standard/normal and I didn't have to explain to people what my crazy configuration was again (and again, and again)  (grin)

But all of that is true when he wants to upgrade.  When I set up my non-usb booting test system, I just used an old drive to launch PLoP and boot from the usb that way all instructions and upgrades were totally standard/normal and I didn't have to explain to people what my crazy configuration was again (and again, and again)  (grin)

My mistake. I didn't read completely the post and i tough he was thinking about upgrading.

Of course, in his present configuration, he just can use his HD as he would with the USB.

My answer only applies if he upgrade as the flash GUID is needed.

If needed, I can find time for making a how to boot from a HD or CD and use the UBS with the pro/plus key file.

But I think everything is allready inside the forum.

I think you're confused here - he's trying NOT to use a USB.

I don't think he is confused... he is saying...

If you decide to purchase an upgrade license from lime-technology to be able to add more that 2 data drives, then you will need to plug in a USB-Flash drive with a serial number that matches the one in the license.key file.   At that time, the USB flash drive will need to be labeled "UNRAID" and the hard-disk he is booting from needs to be labeled something else.

At that time, the "config" folder needs to be located on the USB flash drive as it will be mounted at /boot and it will be the one used.

Until that time, the config folder on the hard disk being booted from will be mounted at /boot.

If he decides to upgrade to unRAID Plus, or unRAID Pro, he needs to format the flash drive, NOT install syslinux, since it will not be booting, but label it UNRAID since it will be mounted and looked for the .key file.

Joe L.

My mistake. I didn't read completely the post and i tough he was thinking about upgrading.

Of course, in his present configuration, he just can use his HD as he would with the USB.

My answer only applies if he upgrade as the flash GUID is needed.

If needed, I can find time for making a how to boot from a HD or CD and use the UBS with the pro/plus key file.

But I think everything is allready inside the forum.

@Joe L.

Thanks for the info.  Joel L. - Exactly what I was meaning, and perfect answer. IF/When I upgrade to Plus/pro, I'll note the movement of folders and drive/flash labels so as to get everything working correctly. ;D

@jupilerman

Thanks for your advise, it's great to have so many knowledgeable people on the forum. :)

@wholly

Interesting idea using PLoP to boot the usb, I might look into that as an option, but right now, booting from a HD is OK. :)

Thanks all.

Re-reading my last post, I see it was worded kinda confusing.  Yes, I just wanted to confirm that addon packages were'nt lookin for config files from a Flash Drive.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a newer link to the kicker files that keep being referenced? I am trying to get an old P4 up and running but that website seems to be down. If someone could point me to another mirror, or if someone who has them already could host them again, it would be greatly appreciated to me and all others wanting to do this in the future.

Thank you :)

Thanks Mopar_Mudder :)

I was actually able to get it working though! I was fiddling with PLoP before but I couldn't get it to work. It would just hang while booting up. I tried a different floppy and VOILA! Now I remember why I hated these things so much :P Anyway, I was able to make a kicker disk just fine with that. It was pretty straight forward, but for anyone who wants to do it again, here is what I did:

----

Step 1. Download PLoP and extract the .zip

Step 2. Download "rawwritewin" as reccomended on the PLoP website and use it to write "plpbt.img" to a floppy.

Step 3. Run plpcfgbt.exe in the command line with the arguments "plpcfgbt stm=hidden cnt=on cntval=1 dbt=usb plpbt.bin". This will change the settings in plbt.bin to boot straight to usb instead of bringing up the main menu.

Step 4. Copy the newly edited version of plpbt.bin to your floppy. Replace the existing one.

----

That's pretty much all I did. Very straight forward and it works great! I would give your floppy a test right after step 2 though, just to make sure PLoP loads correctly before you start messing with it.

Now, to try and figure out UnRAID and move my stuff onto the new server. Wish me luck :)

Back up floppys aren't too safe a bet either it seems  ;D

I do have a copy of what is on the floppy in another computer incase I need to make one. But first I would have to go dig up an old floppy drive to put in the computer and try and find another floppy, seems you can't just pick them up at the store any more....oh well

I am really considering getting one of the RB-1200 servers that are on sale. Seems like a good price, can't build on for that price.

Back up floppys aren't too safe a bet either it seems  ;D

I do have a copy of what is on the floppy in another computer incase I need to make one. But first I would have to go dig up an old floppy drive to put in the computer and try and find another floppy, seems you can't just pick them up at the store any more....oh well

I am really considering getting one of the RB-1200 servers that are on sale. Seems like a good price, can't build on for that price.

If you know the linux "device" for your floppy you can easily make a copy of the floppy.

if, for example, it is /dev/fd0 then the command to save an image of its entire contents to a file on your hard-disk is:

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/mnt/disk1/boot_floppy.img

Then, to copy the image back to a new writable floppy in the same drive, type

dd if=/mnt/disk1/boot_floppy.img of=/dev/fd0

You don't need to do anything to the new disk to write to it, you don't even need tto format it. The "dd" command will make an exact copy.  Just be certain to not confuse the "if=" (input file) with the "of=" (output file)  As if you write to your existing disk, rather than reading from it, you will overwrite the existing contents... (probably not what you want to do)  The output file (of=xxxxxxxxx) can be anywhere you have space.  It can even be on your flash drive.  If you have a drive mounted at /boot, you can use

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/boot/boot_floppy.img

and

dd if=/boot/boot_floppy.img of=/dev/fd0

If the floppy device is named other than fd0, use the name as you see it in

ls -l /dev/disk*

Joe L.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Thanks Mopar_Mudder :)

I was actually able to get it working though! I was fiddling with PLoP before but I couldn't get it to work. It would just hang while booting up. I tried a different floppy and VOILA! Now I remember why I hated these things so much :P Anyway, I was able to make a kicker disk just fine with that. It was pretty straight forward, but for anyone who wants to do it again, here is what I did:

----

Step 1. Download PLoP and extract the .zip

Step 2. Download "rawwritewin" as reccomended on the PLoP website and use it to write "plpbt.img" to a floppy.

Step 3. Run plpcfgbt.exe in the command line with the arguments "plpcfgbt stm=hidden cnt=on cntval=1 dbt=usb plpbt.bin". This will change the settings in plbt.bin to boot straight to usb instead of bringing up the main menu.

Step 4. Copy the newly edited version of plpbt.bin to your floppy. Replace the existing one.

----

That's pretty much all I did. Very straight forward and it works great! I would give your floppy a test right after step 2 though, just to make sure PLoP loads correctly before you start messing with it.

Now, to try and figure out UnRAID and move my stuff onto the new server. Wish me luck :)

Thanks alot for this recipe!  It's works brilliantly!

Floppy relays to USB & boots quick. Now my old P4 box is no longer worthless trash!!!

• 6 months later...

I have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Flash-Cards-Adapter-Enables/dp/B0024MLGKU

its a pci card that will take compact flash cards and raid them. 

what i am looking to do is use that as my boot device to ensure that i have a redundant system drive. 

I do plan on upgradig to plus or pro so i understand i will need to keep a usb key plugged in to bind my key to.  has anyone tried using a bootable flash type of device like this?

• 1 year later...