SMB - Refresh issue

One example, is say I have windows explorer open viewing a directory say TV Shows on the cache drive where sickbeard ends up placing a show when is finished processing it. Whatever directories are already in there, I see. sickbeard has say 5 shows to process, I will see the first show's directory created (by sickbeard) and the remaining 4 will not show up (visually). But they are there. My work around has been to create a txt file and once I open the txt file and type anything into it and save/close out, the directory (in this case TV Shows) auto refresh's and I see all 5 directory's.

Another example via windows explorer, I am browsing "tv shows" an unRAID data share, mover finished move data over to it. I done see this new data. Once again if I create a dummy file and write to it, everything refreshes.

I have been having this issue for quite a few RC releases now. I can say its an unRAID issue or not or the SAMBA component but its getting very tiring having this behavior...  :'(

Its seems like at first auto refresh works but then it dies off. Maybe some sort of unRAID memory management thing, or SAMBA, just don't know. Anyone else see this type of behavior?

Thanks dalben.

Some info for Tom, or anyone who knows what to look for.

cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal:        6227800 kB

MemFree:        1904420 kB

Buffers:          201484 kB

Cached:          3840796 kB

SwapCached:            0 kB

Active:          467516 kB

Inactive:        3417724 kB

Active(anon):      27188 kB

Inactive(anon):      164 kB

Active(file):    440328 kB

Inactive(file):  3417560 kB

Unevictable:      184132 kB

Mlocked:              0 kB

HighTotal:      5377992 kB

HighFree:        1627736 kB

LowTotal:        849808 kB

LowFree:          276684 kB

SwapTotal:            0 kB

SwapFree:              0 kB

Dirty:                0 kB

Writeback:            0 kB

AnonPages:        27092 kB

Mapped:          128192 kB

Shmem:              260 kB

Slab:            105640 kB

SReclaimable:      89296 kB

SUnreclaim:        16344 kB

KernelStack:        984 kB

PageTables:        1516 kB

NFS_Unstable:          0 kB

Bounce:                0 kB

WritebackTmp:          0 kB

CommitLimit:    3113900 kB

Committed_AS:    128740 kB

VmallocTotal:    122880 kB

VmallocUsed:      19052 kB

VmallocChunk:    101908 kB

DirectMap4k:        6136 kB

DirectMap2M:      907264 kB

• 1 month later...

Another example via windows explorer, I am browsing "tv shows" an unRAID data share, mover finished move data over to it. I done see this new data. Once again if I create a dummy file and write to it, everything refreshes.

This happens to me too.  It just happened again and I was rebooting the Windows PC to fix it, but tried writing a dummy text file and that did the trick.  Much better than rebooting but would like to see this fixed.

Try hitting the 'F5' key which forces refresh of the Windows Explorer window.

If this 'fixes' the issue, you have run into a problem in Win7's Windows Explorer.  A lot of people (including myself) have run in to this issue.  I have it on one (and only one) local  drive  (out of three) on my computer.  MS has yet to fix the problem...

If this 'fixes' the issue, you have run into a problem in Win7's Windows Explorer.  A lot of people (including myself) have run in to this issue.  I have it on one (and only one) local  drive  (out of three) on my computer.  MS has yet to fix the problem...

F5 refresh does not fix the issue for me.  A reboot does.  I also found a workaround on another post... on the impacted Windows client, if you create a file (like with notepad) and save to the folder having an issue, this forces the refresh and no need to reboot.

f5 doesn't help.  I've nearly worn out that key over time trying to sort it out.

I haven't tried the txt file trick.  I normally just do something else until the file appears.

• 1 month later...

I am experiencing exactly the same behaviour in on Windows 7 with RC12a, though I'm not sure when this problem was initially identified.

Hitting F5 will not show a current list of a shares contents, however as described above - creating a text file in the share or rebooting seems to force the share to update.

I think this issue is due to a time mismatch between the unRaid server and whichever client you are connecting with.  I too have been seeing this issue from time-to-time and have looked at various things whenever it occurred, never seeing anything wrong.  Then I noticed that the win7 PC connecting to the server was about 7 seconds behind the server, and the server was synchronized correctly with pool.ntp.org.  The win7 PC was using time.windows.com and also had an error message saying it couldn't synchronize the time.  I changed the time server on the win7 PC to also use pool.ntp.org, refreshed the network explorer window, and all files showed up correctly.

All my clients and the unRAID server point to one of my Domain Controllers (PDCe) for NTP (Which happens to be pointing to 0.north-america.pool.ntp.org/1.north-america.pool.ntp.org/2.north-america.pool.ntp.org/3.north-america.pool.ntp.org). And the issue still occurs.

If the unRAID servers time gets skewed its something to due with its NTP component/or poll interval as this behaviour does not exist with any of my Win->Mac, Win->Win, Mac->Mac communication. Only Win->unRaid.

I don't browse via Mac to unRAID (manually), Plex runs on the mac's and does its thing to play media, so I can speak for AFP->unRAID refresh issue, if one exists.

• 1 month later...