TV with media playing capabilities.

bubbaQ

Just do a search on eBay. That's where I found them.

Ahh, so no real retail sites, only private resales. I've had so many issues with used tech off of fleabay I avoid it whenever possible. The time spent trying to resolve issues usually negates any savings.

I assumed the discussion on pricing was comparing like to like, as in if I can buy a Pi for $xx, or a ATV2 for $xx, I would be getting at least a factory refurb warranty or something similar.

I have 2 Smart TV's that do DLNA, as well as a PS3.  They all work just fine, no issues.  I run Plex on the NAS, so it's acting as the DLNA server. 

That said, while DLNA works, a native Plex client is far superior.  One of the smart TV's (Samsung UN55ES6150) has a native Plex client and and it's hands down the way to go IMHO.  The other smart TV doesn't and so I use DLNA when needed.  Another non-smart TV has a Roku attached, which also has a native client.

I don't know if you're interested in running something like Plex or not.  If not, DLNA will work on TV's (at least the ones I have anyway).