Question - How does unraid fill the disks

Hi all,

I am very new to Servers/UNRAID, I made a topic months back but due to work/personal issues have been unable to set up the server as I would like.

I am going to install unraid in a HP microserver.

At the moment I have 1 2TB hard drive that is full of data. 1 x 2TB drive that is empty and 1 x 1TB drive that is empty.

I am going to buy another 2TB drive so I will have 3x2TB and 1x1TB total to use to start with.

The question I have is this, I install UNRAID and set up a parity drive and my other 2 drives, I then copy the data over my network to the hard drives, how does unraid split the data? How would be best to split the data?

At the moment my file system is as such

Media:

Movies/Movie_name/Movie

Series/Series_name/Episodes

Music/Artist/Album/Tracks

Is this the best way to have it set up? What do you guys say, I apologise if these are quite simple but I would like to check as I really am clueless when it comes to this, I have had a long read and feel UNRAID is the right choice for me and am really looking forward to finally getting set up!

Thanks alot

Alex/DiCe!

.... and keep on reading down the WIKI from the above starting point until you have finished the section on 'Split level'...

Understanding the 'Split level' setting is very important and also understanding the 'Free space' setting is valuable if you want loading files onto your user share to be totally transparent to you.