How-To: Migrate from unRAID 4.7 to unRAID 5.0

Do I really just need to know the order of the 22 drives I'm using, load rc12a and once I put the correct drives in the previous order I can bring the array up?

I had problems when I tried that method.  That's what prompted me to develop the wiki article referenced in the original post.

Kevin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there,

This might be a stupid question but what is the relationship between this and the upgrade instructions in the release notes?

I am somewhat confused between the two of them.

Kind regards,

Noel

... what is the relationship between this and the upgrade instructions in the release notes?

The wiki article supplements the upgrade instructions in the release notes.  In fact, the wiki article directs you to the release notes to install the upgrade.

Kevin

Do I really just need to know the order of the 22 drives I'm using, load rc12a and once I put the correct drives in the previous order I can bring the array up?

I had problems when I tried that method.  That's what prompted me to develop the wiki article referenced in the original post.

Kevin

Thanks. I guess I'll just keep it on 4.7. It's working fine and it almost full. I plan on setting up a 3rd and maybe a 4th unRAID. So if I do I'll probably just gradually transfer the content over and start from scratch on my main unRAID with v5.

Although this would probably be months from now since it's taking me a long time to transfer content from my WHS to my second unRAID. I've been doing 500GB every night since I'm only running them around six hours a day. Once I get enough to remove an external enclosure I can start setting up an unRAID with my HP Proliant N54L which will be my next project.

The wiki article supplements the upgrade instructions in the release notes.  In fact, the wiki article directs you to the release notes to install the upgrade.

Kevin

sorry to be pedantic but it says

Set up the flash as directed by the Release Notes
which to me suggests just step 1 on the release notes. Not trying to be awkward just trying to get to grips with it all.

N

• 7 months later...

Took the plunge today and finally upgraded from 4.7 to 5 using this guide. It was fairly straight forward but still took me a while to get confident to actually make the change!

My system is now up and I'm in the process of sorting my cache drive installed apps. However it's the apps that I'm slightly confused about and the new plugin style of app install. My system is running the following apps;

Headphones

Transmission

Sickbeard

SABnzbd

Slimserver

I have moved HP, SB and SAB to a new cache only share and have them back up and running as the same versions they were before by using the unmenu package. Not sure if this was the right step to take or if I should of used a new plugin and updated the versions?

Transmission I have held off from as I believe it uses libraries that break things on unraid? Or was this the newer version on 4.7? Am I safe to re-instate my current version from the unmenu package manager? Or should I use a new plugin?

Same question for slim server? Re-instate or plugin?

Now I have SAB running, how do I upgrade? If I used the plugin will it upgrade the version I have and keep my settings?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am getting ready to upgrade from 4.7 to 5.0.5.

However, my upgrade will be onto a new USB Flash drive and not the drive that is currently running 4.7.  I have prepared the new flash drive with a clean unRAID 5.0.5. and it boots fine.  Now I need to determine the following to make sure I have the cleanest install as possible:

01. Do I reassign all my devices or copy my 4.7 disk.cfg to the new flash drive?

02. Do I move all the cfg files in /boot/config/shares or let unRAID detect my directory structure and recreates the user shares?

03. How do I install unMenu on the new 5.0.5 flash drive?

The first step I plan to do was to recreate my users and passwords and double check all the unRAID settings.  Then either I reassign my devices or power down and copy over the required cfg files (disk.cfg, /boot/config/shares/*.cfg).

I prefer reassigning the devices just as long as all my data are not at risk.  My parity is valid (just ran parity check).

Here is what I would do:

Question 1 -----  I would make a list of how the drives were assigned in 4.7 and assign them the same in 5.0.X.  (I would go straight to 5.0.5 personally.)  The only important ones are the parity and cache (if used) drive(s).  The data drive assignments in ver5 are completely arbitrary.

Question 2 -----  Have a look and see how things worked out.  If you had a simple setup, everything will probably be ready to go. 

Question 3 ----- Reinstall unMENU from scratch.  That way, you will have the latest version.

After yo have everything running, you may want to look at install Dynamix ( alternate GUI from the LimeTech supplied one). It has a lot of really useful and neat features. This link will take you to the thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=30939.0

You really have a big advantage over many folks who upgrade.  You can revert back to 4.7 by shutting down your server, change the flash drive, and restart the server. 

Thanks Frank1940.  I successfully reassigned all my disks and reconfigured all my user shares.  It looks like I am now running a clean unRAID 5.0.5.

With unRAID 4.7, I only had unMenu installed.  I would like to keep this 5.0.5 installation as clean as possible for now and so other than updating the stock GUI, is there a new recommended tool for unMENU?  If not, how do I go about reinstalling unMENU?

I took a quick read of the Dynamix and is unsure of adding the overhead that comes with Dynamix to give real time information .  I just haven't the need to see constant real time updates of my unRAID server.  Heck, I only look at my unRAID server when there are errors.  Which is once in a blue moon.

Thanks Frank1940.  I successfully reassigned all my disks and reconfigured all my user shares.  It looks like I am now running a clean unRAID 5.0.5.

With unRAID 4.7, I only had unMenu installed.  I would like to keep this 5.0.5 installation as clean as possible for now and so other than updating the stock GUI, is there a new recommended tool for unMENU?  If not, how do I go about reinstalling unMENU?

I took a quick read of the Dynamix and is unsure of adding the overhead that comes with Dynamix to give real time information .  I just haven't the need to see constant real time updates of my unRAID server.  Heck, I only look at my unRAID server when there are errors.  Which is once in a blue moon.

If you seldom look at the GUI, the 'overhead' of Dynamix is non-existant during those periods.  You do get the new powerdown script as a part of it and that could be worth the download. 

For what its is worth, unMENU and Dynamix will peaceably coexist on the same server.  To install unMENU, go the thread for this plug-in:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27051.0

And start from there.  That way, you will have the latest version.

I was surprised to see that you didn't have an UPS listed in your equipment list.  unRAID seems to be quite intolerant of unexpected shutdowns caused by power outages.  I have seen a lot of requests for help when things get hosed after the juice fails.  I would suggest that you look into getting as soon as you can. 

Thanks Frank1940 for all your help.  I was able to intall unMENU on my unRAID 5.0.5 server with no problems.

I will have to read more into Dynamix before deciding whether to install it.  I tried running the upgrade GUI tool in the unRAID web interface, but it appeared nothing was done.  Maybe 5.0.5 already has the latest GUI?

Good point on the UPS.  I just take it for granted because my local utility has been so reliable (1 outage in 17 years due to a car crashing into the junction box).

• 2 months later...

Dumb question time  :D.  I am planning to migrate to 5.0.5 after having 2 drives fail from my existing 4.7 array.  I'm in the process of recovering the files off the 2 drives via my Windows PC and Linux Reader.  The plan is to set up a new config using just the remaining good parity, cache, and data drives plus a spare drive I have available (needs a preclear first).  I know parity will need to be rebuilt from scratch but will the data from my existing good data drives still be visible when added to the new array?

Dumb question time  :D.  I am planning to migrate to 5.0.5 after having 2 drives fail from my existing 4.7 array.  I'm in the process of recovering the files off the 2 drives via my Windows PC and Linux Reader.  The plan is to set up a new config using just the remaining good parity, cache, and data drives plus a spare drive I have available (needs a preclear first).  I know parity will need to be rebuilt from scratch but will the data from my existing good data drives still be visible when added to the new array?

Yes. Anything that is stored on any of your good disks will continue to be available once you've rebuilt UnRAID. This is one of the real benefits of data not being striped across disks with UnRAID. Each file is stored completely on a specific disk.

I would suggest you screen shot your current config (if you haven't already) so you make sure you have the right parity and cache drive. The other disks can be in any order as 5.0.5 doesn't care about placement - just disk IDs.

I don't know what plugins you had running, but I am going to guess this is a "legacy" system since you were still on 4.7. The best option is to backup your current USB drive, then reformat, install 5.0.5 and then any updated plugins you want to run. This will allow you to get a nice, new virgin config.

Keep in mind this will require you to re-setup your shares, hostname and ip address. If you want these details from your current config you can copy the following files from your config folder:

ident.cfg

network.cfg

share.cfg

I don't know if there are any differences between the 4.7 and 5.0.5 files, so you may want to just use them for reference to input into your new USB config.

Yes. Anything that is stored on any of your good disks will continue to be available once you've rebuilt UnRAID. This is one of the real benefits of data not being striped across disks with UnRAID. Each file is stored completely on a specific disk.

That's what I thought, I just had it in my head that the disks might get re-formatted when re-starting the reconfigured array.

I would suggest you screen shot your current config (if you haven't already) so you make sure you have the right parity and cache drive. The other disks can be in any order as 5.0.5 doesn't care about placement - just disk IDs.

Yes, someone pointed that out to me in another thread.  I've screen dumped all the config pages prior to shutting down my old array.

I don't know what plugins you had running, but I am going to guess this is a "legacy" system since you were still on 4.7.

Just UnMenu and the Preclear script from memory, everything else as standard.

[The best option is to backup your current USB drive, then reformat, install 5.0.5 and then any updated plugins you want to run. This will allow you to get a nice, new virgin config.

Have done a file level copy of the USB, assume this is sufficient to capture the license and config files.

Keep in mind this will require you to re-setup your shares, hostname and ip address. If you want these details from your current config you can copy the following files from your config folder:

ident.cfg

network.cfg

share.cfg

Many thanks for the tip  :)

I don't know if there are any differences between the 4.7 and 5.0.5 files, so you may want to just use them for reference to input into your new USB config.

Shall do!

That's what I thought, I just had it in my head that the disks might get re-formatted when re-starting the reconfigured array.

As long as you are doing a new config then data is preserved.

Note, however, that this is not true if you add them later to an already existing array which is parity protected as in that case a pre-clear of the new disk is initiated to maintain parity.

I have picked up a couple of 4TB drives to replace my failed 2TB drives.  As previously posted I am going to upgrade to 5.0.5 at the same time by doing a new config that doesn't include the failed drives.  As the disks are brand new I'm guessing a Preclear will still be required?  As the Preclear will take a very long time would it be advisable to do at least a single pass surface scan on them via my Windows PC first?

I have picked up a couple of 4TB drives to replace my failed 2TB drives.  As previously posted I am going to upgrade to 5.0.5 at the same time by doing a new config that doesn't include the failed drives.  As the disks are brand new I'm guessing a Preclear will still be required?  As the Preclear will take a very long time would it be advisable to do at least a single pass surface scan on them via my Windows PC first?

Why bother?  It really would reduce the time that much (unless you find a DOA disk).  You can run preclear (the script) on two drives at the same time and it probably won't impact the time that much over one disk.  Whether you run one, two, or three cycles is up to you.  What you are really trying to do is to get the drive past the 'early mortality failure period' before you commit it to your array.  (Look up 'bathtub curve' if you don't understand 'early mortality failure period').  Probably, two cycles will be more than a hundred hours on 4TB drive.  (My gut feeling is that the time required for the test is more important than the actual number of cycles. Back in the early PC days, vendors bragged that they would burn-in all new PCs for 72 hours before shipment-- and that seemed to work out well for them.)

Why bother?  It really would reduce the time that much (unless you find a DOA disk). 

It was the DOA aspect I was concerned with.  I guess just popping them in to the Windows box and making sure they register is a good enough quick test prior to running a Preclear on the UnRAID box.

You can run preclear (the script) on two drives at the same time and it probably won't impact the time that much over one disk. 

Thanks, I was aware of that from my initial setup using the 2TB drives

Probably, two cycles will be more than a hundred hours on 4TB drive. 

The 2TB drives took 24-27hrs each from memory so 100hrs for 2 cycles on a 4TB sounds about right.  Don't think I'll have time to do multiple runs, I'm under pressure to get the box back on air again.

Do I need to do the migration to 5.0.x with the new config process prior to attempting to preclear the new disks?  I tried  to substitute one of the new HDDs into my old 4.7 setup knowing the array would not be able to start but the Preclear script is also reporting "No un-assigned disks detected". Is this because I'm on Plus and already had 7 disks in the old config?  I know the new drive is being detected by the BIOS OK.

I can't even get the UnMenu GUI to come up on my old 4.7 setup now (can't connect using either the host name or IP address) but can log into the server from the console just fine.

My suggestion would be to complete the migration to version 5.0.5 before you worry about the preclearing of the new disks.  Just be sure that you have the serial number of your parity disk before you shutdown 4.7!  Once you make sure that that disk is assigned as parity when ver 5.0 first comes up, you are ready to start the array.  Make sure that the server is now running properly.  Then see if you can find the new disk for the preclear.  If you still have an issue, best to ask on the preclear thread for the quickest response.