unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc11 Available

limetech

Download | Release Notes

Mainly bug fixes and some improvements to minimize issues for people upgrading from 4.7.  I will create a separate post for the 5.0 release game plan.

Something that turned out rather well I think is a new way of reporting user share object "duplicates": they are no longer reported in the system log.  This will limit system log growth due to normal activity.  Instead of reporting duplicates in the system log, there is a new "Location" column added to the 'indexer' webGui feature (that is, the application that executes when you click the little file folder icon next to a disk or user share).

The Location column is only displayed for user shares.  It displays the set of disks that a particular object is located on.  If the object is duplicated on multiple disks, then the word "duplicate" is included as well as the background set to orange.  The listing can be sorted by Location by clicking on that column heading.

What are duplicates?  There are two kinds of duplicates:

A) The same named file in the same directory path on multiple disks.  All file operations will operate on the copy of the file on the lowered-numbered array disk.

B) A situation where there is a file in the same directory path as a directory.  For example:

disk1/Movies/Alien    <-- a directory

disk2/Movies/Alien    <-- a file

In this case, since the object on the lowest numbered disk is a directory, the object will be treated as a directory for all operations.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How to configure the FTP?

I put my username on there, forwarded the port to my unraid box, i'm getting error 530 permission denied when trying to ftp in.

Ok it worked with putting 1 user as ftp user, how to put more than 1 user/username?

seperating names with comma doesn't work.

I put my username on there, forwarded the port to my unraid box, i'm getting error 530 permission denied when trying to ftp in.

Ok it worked with putting 1 user as ftp user, how to put more than 1 user/username?

Separate with spaces, but remember current implementation does not implement share-level protection.  Hope to change that in the future but it will take some work, e.g., creating directories and using mount --bind.

I'm currently upgrading my parity to a 4TB drive after a 110 hour preclear. Once this is done I will upstage from rc10 to rc11. I can hardly wait.

Any change in Active Directory. Last time I tried to join my domain I had issues. I would love to have this feature but its not required. I know you have enough on your plate. Just curious about it. 

Hi

Ive been using v5.0-rc8a without any issues, is there a major incentive to upgrade to this reversion just yet as don't want to break anything :)

Silly question i know but still an unraid newbie

It is looking likely that this might be the last RC before the final release.  On that basis you might want to upgrade to it to check that you have no issues that need raising before the release goes final. 

Also it does include bug-fixes since the rc8a release, so if you do have any issues I would expect you will be asked to see if they occur with rc11 before doing any further investigation.

Looking like emhttp has crashed on me overnight although the syslog isn't showing me anything. It's taking a VERY long time for the page to respond and I'm surprised it hasn't timed out but something is certainly wrong. It continues to serve files just fine though and since I'm headed out of town I'm not stopping to do anything with it right now. I'll let it roll and see what it looks like when I return. I may be able to remote in and restart just the HTTP service from the console while I'm gone. HTTP crashing isn't normal for me at all...

Edit: Bah, tried to restart emhttp and it's not happy. attached is a quick syslog...

syslog.zip

Separate with spaces, but remember current implementation does not implement share-level protection.  Hope to change that in the future but it will take some work, e.g., creating directories and using mount --bind.

Thank you for looking at my suggestion :)  Btw spaces do not work, you will need to convert them to/from newlines for the vsftpd.user_list file and you are not apparently doing it.

Btw also upgraded to rc11, so far all ok on my server.

Did something change in the permissions for the user shares?

With all previous versions of unRAID, the PHP version installed as part of SF webserver is able to access the user shares, in rc11 however it is not allowed anymore, resulting in an empty browse list. The 'normal' disk mounts are still accessible though.

Looking like emhttp has crashed on me overnight although the syslog isn't showing me anything. It's taking a VERY long time for the page to respond and I'm surprised it hasn't timed out but something is certainly wrong. It continues to serve files just fine though and since I'm headed out of town I'm not stopping to do anything with it right now. I'll let it roll and see what it looks like when I return. I may be able to remote in and restart just the HTTP service from the console while I'm gone. HTTP crashing isn't normal for me at all...

Edit: Bah, tried to restart emhttp and it's not happy. attached is a quick syslog...

Tom, there is something wrong here, emhttp is restarting, exactly like thisEdit: Joe L just posted that emhttp is not supposed to be restarted, so that may explain this.

I noticed that you are using the rc8 version of open_vm_tools, Zeron has already issued an rc11 version.  I don't know if that is a problem or not, but seems highly suspicious.

I have to wonder if some of the issues users report are because of addons that are no longer fully compatible.  For example, Olympia has reported issues with SmartHistory.  All users, if you have an issue with RC11, please disable ALL addons and retest.  (BLKMGK, I know you did not have time for that here.)

Have not been able to "restart" emhttp in any of the 5.0 series.  It has always seg-faulted in 5.0 if any attempt is made at re-starting it.

I reported it to Tom long ago, but he replied it was not meant to be restarted.

(Don't think it is supposed to hang/die either  ;))

Jan 29 08:05:16 Minion emhttp: diskFsStatus.1 not found

Jan 29 08:05:16 Minion kernel: emhttp[11494]: segfault at 0 ip b7522760 sp bff3ddb0 error 4 in libc-2.11.1.so[b74a9000+15c000]

I noticed that you are using the rc8 version of open_vm_tools, Zeron has already issued an rc11 version.  I don't know if that is a problem or not, but seems highly suspicious.

Not likely the problem;

If you still have open-vm-tools from a previous release installed; it will just fail loading the kernel modules.  Without the modules loaded, the vmtoolsd process cannot communicate with the esx host; so no no clean shutdowns possible.

Each open-vm-tools release is compiled against the kernel user in a specific unRaid version.

Hi

Ive been using v5.0-rc8a without any issues, is there a major incentive to upgrade to this reversion just yet as don't want to break anything :)

Silly question i know but still an unraid newbie

It is looking likely that this might be the last RC before the final release.  On that basis you might want to upgrade to it to check that you have no issues that need raising before the release goes final. 

Also it does include bug-fixes since the rc8a release, so if you do have any issues I would expect you will be asked to see if they occur with rc11 before doing any further investigation.

Never had any issues with rc8a, think I'll wait some before i upgrade, as errors are starting to get reported, don't want to screw me server up and not know how to fix it.

Only need 3TB support.

I upgraded my test bed and thought it might be well to share my experiences with what I found.  The test bed was at ver5rc10 when I started. 

First I decided to simply copy the bzroot and bzimage files over and reboot the server as described in the release notes. That worked as expected with the exception that I did not see any place to select which memory version I was loading.  (Plus, I wanted to know which version was actually being loaded.)  So I decided to see if I could get the new menu scheme working.

I copied over menu.c32 and rebooted again.  This time it failed to boot.

OK, so it must be (I reasoned) that new menu system requires the new syslinux.exe file.  I decided to also copy over the syslinux.cfg file which might be required for the new syslinux.exe file.  Having read that some people have had boot issues after installing the new syslinux.exe file, I also ran make_bootable.bat again.  (I decided doing that was quicker than having to pull the drive from the system, walking back and forth between the Windows computer and the server.) 

So if you want to get the full install of rc11--- particularly if you want the option  to boot the 4GB memory version, you actually have to copy over:

bzroot

bzimage

menu.c32

syslinux.exe

syslinux.cfg

I would also recommend running make_bootable.bat to prevent any boot issues. 

On further issue I wish to point out.  To select the 4GB memory version, you will have to have a monitor and keyboard connected to the server to make the menu selection as it defaults to the large memory model.  I have a feeling that those people who have a need for the 4GB memory OS system are going to want something a bit more convenient...

I have moved the USB to my windows 7 laptop, when execute make_bootable.bat is got a error....

now I see this error message, sorry is in Swedish

my USB have label UNRAID!

Make Bootable
Volymen i enhet I har etiketten UNRAID
Volymens serienummer är 081F-6D07
Error: volume label must be UNRAID
Tryck ned valfri tangent för att fortsätta...