unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc11 Available

limetech

I'm not ready to buy into the whole "over 4GB of ram" is the cause of the slowness problem with a few motherboards, in particular, the X9SCM-F-O. I just upgraded to rc11. When I run 32GB of ram I experience the 1MBps speed copy speed (without the 4GB workaround that Tom added at bootup), HOWEVER, when I merely cut back to 16GB of ram, I go back to normal speeds of approx 75-80MBps. The 16GBs is comprised of two 8GB sticks. I posted similar results a couple weeks ago while using rc10.

As a disclaimer, I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to the Linux OS. In fact, messing with it causes me to want to drag my Smith Corona out of the attic to see if I can retype my entire Encyclopedia Britannica set without making a mistake.

Heresy aside, I've been running UnRAID successfully for a couple of years with no problems - other than a few bad drives. I love this forum and the manner in which Tom operates. I'm merely noting what I'm experiencing re the slow copy problem in case it might be of assistance to anybody else.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have just upgraded my system below.

All seems fine. When mounting drive onto OSX, the content takes a while to appear, transfer speed are OK (never really cared as using the wifi around 5-6 Mb/s upload with lots of little files).

Haven't tried my Win7 box yet, and only running simple finder plugin at the moment.

rc11 doesn't seem to recognize my network card.  ifconfig only shows the loopback adapter.  I had the same result with rc10.  I rolled back to rc8a and all is fine.  I've attached a rc11 syslog if anyone is able to recognize anything that might help me.

Perhaps you can also post the syslog where the network card IS recognized. (and your hardware involved)  Otherwise, Tom has no way to know what was not found as a NIC.

rc11 doesn't seem to recognize my network card.  ifconfig only shows the loopback adapter.  I had the same result with rc10.  I rolled back to rc8a and all is fine.  I've attached a rc11 syslog if anyone is able to recognize anything that might help me.

What NIC?

I attached the syslog from the roll-back to 5.0-rc8a.  In this log it appears that this is the NIC driver that is successfully loading:

r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI

syslog_v5rc8a.txt

What NIC?

I attached the syslog from the roll-back to 5.0-rc8a.  In this log it appears that this is the NIC driver that is successfully loading:

It appears to be a PCI card identified as:  RTL8110s

(I think I see a replacement NIC purchase in your near future!)

I'm still getting these. Also, when I click the folder next to the user share in the webgui, it shows "0 objects: 0 directories, 0 files" for every share.

Jan 29 14:45:50 Tower udevd-work[8173]: symlink '../../sdd' '/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-0:0:0:0.udev-tmp' failed: File exists 
Jan 29 15:12:20 Tower udevd-work[6119]: rename '/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-0:0:0:0.udev-tmp' '/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-0:0:0:0' failed: No such file or directory 

System log snippets are not  useful.

Another thread with syslogs with these symlink errors is http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25558.0.  Unfortunately, it's clouded with other issues, but check the last syslog.  Lots of addons to complicate this, and one of them may be causing it.

Thanks for the helpful response. I'm not running any plugins, but I'll take a look through for "symlink error" in the forum. Wasn't sure how to even describe this error before.

I have never seen messages like that before.  As mentioned earlier, I can not help you without the full system log.

Hello, thanks for looking into this. I have attached a complete syslog to the original support topic I opened on these messages under rc5a. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24622.msg223271#msg223271

I'm still getting these. Also, when I click the folder next to the user share in the webgui, it shows "0 objects: 0 directories, 0 files" for every share.

Jan 29 14:45:50 Tower udevd-work[8173]: symlink '../../sdd' '/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-0:0:0:0.udev-tmp' failed: File exists 
Jan 29 15:12:20 Tower udevd-work[6119]: rename '/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-0:0:0:0.udev-tmp' '/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-0:0:0:0' failed: No such file or directory 

System log snippets are not  useful.

Another thread with syslogs with these symlink errors is http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25558.0.  Unfortunately, it's clouded with other issues, but check the last syslog.  Lots of addons to complicate this, and one of them may be causing it.

Thanks for the helpful response. I'm not running any plugins, but I'll take a look through for "symlink error" in the forum. Wasn't sure how to even describe this error before.

I have never seen messages like that before.  As mentioned earlier, I can not help you without the full system log.

I had the same messages 2-3 weeks ago when I upgraded to rc10 from rc8a. The messages kept appearing even after reboot. I searched the forums back then and found this :

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24622.msg220139#msg220139

I decided to try without plugins first before asking for help on the forums so I ran with a stock go file and no plugins enabled for 24 hours. Didn't see the messages anymore. I then enabled Simplefeatures. 24 hours running : no messages. Enabled Plex and tried for 24 hours : nothing. Last plugin to enable again was Plex updater : even with that one in (now running all plugins again) I didn't see the messages anymore. Unfortunately, I didn't save a syslog when they were appearing... :(

So the 'issue' fixed itself for me...

I'm not running any plugins, but I'll take a look through for "symlink error" in the forum. Wasn't sure how to even describe this error before.

Hello, thanks for looking into this. I have attached a complete syslog to the original support topic I opened on these messages under rc5a. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24622.msg223271#msg223271

That system log shows there are extra packages being loaded.  Please try this again on a complete stock -rc11 and if problem persists then post a fresh system log.

What NIC?

Running -rc11, please type this command at the console:

modprobe r8169

and let me know what it returns.  That NIC should be supported by the Realtek r8169 driver.

Just uploaded Rc11 to a HP Microserver. Running Basic version so no cache. 14MB upload, 108MB download, I'm happy. I changed from 4.7 to rc10 by just changing bzroot and bzimage then doing the permissions, then to rc11 by just changing bzroot and bzimage. Only plugin is serviio and jre.

Thanks Tom for all your work. Im waiting for a V5 final to buy a licence and add some more drives.

Just uploaded Rc11 to a HP Microserver. Running Basic version so no cache. 14MB upload, 108MB download, I'm happy.

How much ram do you have installed, was playing around last night and couldn't get those speeds, and I'm using a cache drive :(

Going to try the limit to 4Gb ram boot option.

What NIC?

Running -rc11, please type this command at the console:

modprobe r8169

and let me know what it returns.  That NIC should be supported by the Realtek r8169 driver.

Okay...  I tried.  There was no result.  The command did not fail, but the response was only a return to the command prompt.  There was no error or message returned.

Just uploaded Rc11 to a HP Microserver. Running Basic version so no cache. 14MB upload, 108MB download, I'm happy.

How much ram do you have installed, was playing around last night and couldn't get those speeds, and I'm using a cache drive :(

You shouldn't need to do that. I'm running 8GB on mine and get max 30MB/sec writes and 60MB/sec reads on the protected array (RC10).

5GB, the original 1 + xtra 4. I just ran it again, hopefully pix attached. The machine is an original N36 with 5GB and 3 x 2TB WD 20EARX drives over Gigabit on Cat 6 cable. Used for video serving and general file server work. Serviio works a treat with my Samsung TV.

Capture1.JPG.94c1c5cd8fd49666f8268b4f817f87b2.JPG

Capture2.JPG.fab698c72ce24946e40bfc517760daaf.JPG

Something that turned out rather well I think is a new way of reporting user share object "duplicates": they are no longer reported in the system log.  This will limit system log growth due to normal activity.  Instead of reporting duplicates in the system log, there is a new "Location" column added to the 'indexer' webGui feature (that is, the application that executes when you click the little file folder icon next to a disk or user share).

This will make it much easier for most users to determine where the duplicates are located, and where the files that are not duplicates are as well...

Unfortunately, if you no longer log the files in the syslog, it will make it nearly impossible to determine if any exist unless you have either a very few files or a small number of directories.  It would take days to manually traverse the GUI looking in the "location" field for them on my server as I have probably have thousands of directories. 

Please consider logging the duplicates as well as showing their location or provide a utility to list them all on one page, or in one file. to make detection easier.

Joe L.

Something that turned out rather well I think is a new way of reporting user share object "duplicates": they are no longer reported in the system log.  This will limit system log growth due to normal activity.  Instead of reporting duplicates in the system log, there is a new "Location" column added to the 'indexer' webGui feature (that is, the application that executes when you click the little file folder icon next to a disk or user share).

This will make it much easier for most users to determine where the duplicates are located, and where the files that are not duplicates are as well...

Unfortunately, if you no longer log the files in the syslog, it will make it nearly impossible to determine if any exist unless you have either a very few files or a small number of directories.  It would take days to manually traverse the GUI looking in the "location" field for them on my server as I have probably have thousands of directories. 

Please consider logging the duplicates as well as showing their location or provide a utility to list them all on one page, or in one file. to make detection easier.

Joe L.

When i read this when Tom posted this thread then i was thinking the same thing

nobody goes looking there i was thinking

or they need to have a reason for it

so better to trigger something as a red flag somewhere when duplicates are found so that people can go look what is going on

have you turned on write cache in the bios??  will improve your write speed by at least 2x

That's a good point. If you go over 4 drives and want to use the 5th and 6th SATA you should also use the modified BIOS.

Here is my speed writing to the array -- the destination drive is basically full, so it would be quicker with an empty drive. Both source and destination are 7200rpm, but the parity drive is 5900rpm:

lcKi950.png

May be good you look at syslog and see if there was something added on it when you run modprobe as it may really not print anything on console.

I tested again with both versions. 

With 5.0rc8a I can 'modprobe r8169 -r' and 'modprobe r8169' to deactivate and activate the nic.  You are correct that nothing shows in the console, but these actions are recorded in the syslog.

However, with 5.0rc11... these commands have no effect and nothing is recorded in the syslog.

Need to remove  powernow-k8

Why?

Earlier with my X2 CPU, I DL very slow from usenet, disable this I got full speed, but now I'm on X4 CPU, need to verify if this is still a issue for me, but I can't do it right now, I let you know later. perhaps  can disable this in BIOS if it's needed ?

//Peter

Working very bad with powernow-k8 enabled, but it's now disabled in BIOS.

When I updated newznab, it only used one core and was peeking 100%!, and it's was soooo slow, now when I disabled this in bios, is running perfect! :-)

//Peter

where can you see that it's using all cores using the webgui?  I have a dual core and would like to know if unraid is using both.  I'm also thinking of buying a quad core.  I also don't see any write cache setting in my bios.  Perhaps my board just doesn't have this setting or issue.