Openelec XBMC Not seeing NFS

Mailman74

To begin I do not know much about linux. I had my server built by prostuff and I can install add ons thats about it. I bought a raspberry pi and installed openelec. When I try to add files from NFS it does not find any servers but it finds my unraid server through SMB. I have NFS enabled on the unraid and SMB is enabled because I am running windows pc's. Just trying to see if anyone can point me in the right direction, Thanks

To begin I do not know much about linux. I had my server built by prostuff and I can install add ons thats about it. I bought a raspberry pi and installed openelec. When I try to add files from NFS it does not find any servers but it finds my unraid server through SMB. I have NFS enabled on the unraid and SMB is enabled because I am running windows pc's. Just trying to see if anyone can point me in the right direction, Thanks

Why not just use SMB then? Is there a problem with that too?

I've heard that NFS has better performance than SMB. I'm new to the raspberry pi and it says it can output 1080p but using smb it is lagging horrible on fill blu ray rips. It's actually hooked up to a 720p plasma so I don't need it to output 1080p just want to be able to watch the file

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not familiar with the limitations of the Raspberry Pi, but just because it can output 1080p does not necessarily mean it can handle Blu Ray rips.  A full rip runs at between 30-45Mbps, which is well within the bounds of both SMB and 100M Ethernet, but even some decent CPUs can't handle it without a hardware decoder.

A cursory glance online indicates that if  you need to do any audio decoding, the Pi doesn't have enough power, but that if you're using audio passthrough it should work.

I'd try sticking one of the full rate DTS-HD MA or True HD test movies (about 200-500MB in size) available online onto a flash drive.  If it can't play those, a faster network connection isn't going to help.

Thanks allot for reply. I'm guessing that it won't do the full blu ray rips. I have never messed with transcoding maybe I will have to go that route. Have a transcoder on main pc

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

There is an addon for XBMC that will allow you to view your Plex library. If your server is capable you may want to try installing Plex on it. It can transcode video on the fly. That way you won't have to have a bunch of transcoded videos just for watching on the Pi.

I vaguely remember reading that SMB has more CPU overhead on linux than NFS. On a system like the RPi, with a pretty weak CPU, it can use all the help it can get. I did not have trouble with NFS on OpenELEC 2.0 for x86 and UnRAID 5.0rc8.

That is what I have read also about the extra cpu overhead. I have tried tonight but my RPi still does not see the NFS shares

• 1 month later...

I am in the same spot as the OP.  Very new to Linux, unRaid, XBMC and OpenELEC. 

I have no users except root on my unraid server.  I have a share called media that has folders for Music, Pictures, Movies and TV Shows in it.  When searching for nfs shares in openelec it finds the ip address of my unraid server, 192.168.1.126.  I had my media share exported in unraid as Secure, but changed that to insecure and on per the suggestion here.  Neither worked.  I have tried adding the share in XBMC as nfs://IP/media and as suggested here nfs://IP/mnt/user/media and nfs://IP/mnt/media.  None of them work.

I have the media share connected to my windows PC with SMB and it works fine.  I am able to connect my openelec machine to my windows PC via SMB as well but that is not where I want to pull my media from.