UnRaid looks so old :(

SavellM

Hey guys,

Im toying with the idea of building an unraid server.

I made a test server, and altho the functionality is pretty cool, and would work well.

It just looks so old and outdated.

Do you think you would get more of a audience if you made it a bit more shiny, and modern?

Not being a hater, im just saying my first impressions were a little muddled as I couldnt get over the 1995 look.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They dont want to hear this, but offcourse you are right ;) but, take a look at the SimpleFeatures topic. SF is a modern, shiny alternative to the '95' look ;D

According to the kind of nerdy techy linux command line die hards for which unraid seems to be built, a intuitive, ergonomic gui is something nobody should want, but for us normal people, we want to work with and look at something nice ;D

SimpleFeatures topic:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12698.0

sf1.png.e80a5f046b52f9143b3722a846465ed4.png

According to the kind of nerdy techy linux command line die hards for which unraid seems to be built

Quite the opposite I think. Unraid is *meant* to be used from the GUI and treated as a black box appliance.

Unfortunately the stock feature set wouldn't get you much at that point so the nerdy techy types have *had* to go via the command line to bolt on all the extra functionality you enjoy ;)

Otherwise agreed on all points. Stock interface is poor (though 5.x isn't *too* bad) and simple features is light years ahead and a complete must have.

Why more community features and bolt ons haven't been integrated with the stock deployment I couldn't say - perhaps more complicated than I'm crediting. It would seem to be a good idea though.

Agreed...

I also have a feeling that the user base would increase a lot more if it did.

My first impressions were really really poor.

I only tried it out because a mate recommended it.

But as soon as I loaded it up, as was really let down.

Also if you had that nice SimpleFeature as the main GUI, then you could take some nice screenshots to show off on the main http://lime-technology.com homepage.

As currently there are no images, or videos of what it looks like, and what it can do.

Look at freenas for example, they have a nice GUI, and show it off, and show off with images and video on how to do stuff.

I think unRAID is missing a step here.

It's a NAS device.  You set it up in a closet or basement.  Once in a while you check in to see everything looks ok.  You use it via network shares.  You have some peace of mind that if something does blow up you won't lose everything.  How sexy does it need to be?

But I understand the sentiment.

It's a NAS device.  You set it up in a closet or basement.  Once in a while you check in to see everything looks ok.  You use it via network shares.  You have some peace of mind that if something does blow up you won't lose everything.  How sexy does it need to be?

Trust me man,  you will get a lot more customers if you could change the website design more modern..

I think you should grab SimpleFeatures web design, you should ask him - I think he will let you :)

Trust me man,  you will get a lot more customers if you could change the website design more modern..

I think you should grab SimpleFeatures web design, you should ask him - I think he will let you :)

I have to agree, it took A LOT of convincing to get SavellM to give it a try.

My initial reasoning was function over appearance, I use it to access data and don't really care how the GUI works as long as everything is working. But. For people that are not willing to do a lot of research or do not know anybody who is a unraid user I think it's a big turnoff for them. Don't get me wrong I've been using unraid for years and always recommend it, but I think it would help with new customer growth if the website had some pictures and if the unraid GUI was a bit more updated.

Though as said earlier obviously releasing 5.0 is more important :)

As Crash said. If it wasnt for him I would have totally overlooked unRAID.

Ye the functionality is awesome, but that info is hardly on your website.

It has no pictures of the product itself, it has no video tutorials.

But then again, it looks really dated, there isnt much to show off.

As I say, the functionality is awesome, and I totally understand you Tom about getting 5 out the door.

But really I think you should think hard about doing the product justice and updating your website design and product GUI.

People judge products based on first impressions, and first impressions are the hardest to get over.

My missus just said if she looks at a dated website she doesn't even bother looking further.

Not that your site is totally dated, but it doesn't hold much relevant information.

Sorry Tom, you have a great product, but could do with some design flare :)

Double edged sword though.

More users means more revenue - good thing

More users means more support issues - not great

A More sexy frontend with a well designed and implemented plug in manager will attract more non-techy users which will the level of support needed will increase.  In the short time I've been an unraid user I've seen the type of support questions move from the more technical to more how to type questions.

I'm worried limetech won't be able to cope with both support and development if there is an effort to sexily the GUI and make it easier to install non-core plugins.  But without the ability to install plugins I would probably have moved away from unraid already.

Thats where you promote some really helpful members that have the best for unRAID to become support.

Or you have a dedicated support forum section, which you do and people can post there.

Then we can all help newbies out. I wouldn't have got very far if it wasn't for others.

Also you can do some really nice easy video tutorials and everyone can benefit.

Look at FreeNas for instance they have easy to follow video tutorials.

I installed FreeNas and didnt have to ask for any support at all as its all already done and documented.

Support solved.

Thats where you promote some really helpful members that have the best for unRAID to become support.

Or you have a dedicated support forum section, which you do and people can post there.

Then we can all help newbies out. I wouldn't have got very far if it wasn't for others.

Also you can do some really nice easy video tutorials and everyone can benefit.

Look at FreeNas for instance they have easy to follow video tutorials.

I installed FreeNas and didnt have to ask for any support at all as its all already done and documented.

Support solved.

Plenty of ways to skin a cat but Tom needs to work out which way is best for him and his plans for unraid.  The fact is the support numbers and type of support will increase with a more BDU friendly frontend.

Double edged sword though.

More users means more revenue - good thing

More users means more support issues - not great

A More sexy frontend with a well designed and implemented plug in manager will attract more non-techy users which will the level of support needed will increase.  In the short time I've been an unraid user I've seen the type of support questions move from the more technical to more how to type questions.

I'm worried limetech won't be able to cope with both support and development if there is an effort to sexily the GUI and make it easier to install non-core plugins.  But without the ability to install plugins I would probably have moved away from unraid already.

I'm not telling Tom how to run his business by any means, let me say that first.

But isn't that the next step? Once you have enough users you need to support them, hiring a couple of people to provide support, even part time would alleviate the issue and help grow the company. Especially with a products that people pay to use and to store critical data.