Secure remote access without VPN

greenythebeast

Alright, so my work blocks pretty much any VPN program or website. I'm looking to setup Subsonic on my unRAID server so I can stream my music from my house to my computer at work. However, this would obviously involve opening up a port to the outside world. What are my options for securing my network without the use of VPN?

securely, without opening your entire LAN to script kiddies and hackers... none.

Joe L.

My 2¢ (maybe it is worth that maybe not): Don't install subsonic on unRAID.  Put it on another computer or VM and have that OS (a secure OS) access the files from your unRAID server.

Very good call. I actually already do that with Serviio (have a little book sized mini PC running Serviio). Didn't even cross my mind I should do that with Subsonic too. Now the question is how to open up the subsonic server to the internet without putting my network at risk (or at least minimizing it as much as possible). All suggestions appreciated :)

Alright, so my work blocks pretty much any VPN program or website. I'm looking to setup Subsonic on my unRAID server so I can stream my music from my house to my computer at work. However, this would obviously involve opening up a port to the outside world. What are my options for securing my network without the use of VPN?

securely, without opening your entire LAN to script kiddies and hackers... none.

Joe L.

If I know the IP address of my computer at work, can I open the port for Subsonic and only allow traffic from the source IP of my work computer (using DDWRT)? Is that sorta secure?

Joe L.

If I know the IP address of my computer at work, can I open the port for Subsonic and only allow traffic from the source IP of my work computer (using DDWRT)? Is that sorta secure?

Secure, no.  A large portion of the risk mitigated, yes.

SSH tunneling would work if you know how to configure it.

I use an SSL VPN. I use a Juniper VPN Appliance (running as a VM) (DTE version for you network nerds) that allows a VPN tunnel over port 443.

This port pretty much must be open on your company's firewall for the Internet to work, so I'm 99% sure it will work for you. You still may need to worry about IDS at your company, or the bandwidth being noticed.