What do you want in a custom unRAID package (BubbaRaid)

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@WeeboTech, I was working on rtorrent, and it requires libtorrent, which requires boost... boost is, in a word, HUGE.  I tried one boost slackware package, and it was not sufficient so I am having to compile it from source.

Did you have some stripped-down version or a smaller package that works with libtorrent?

My progress so far.

rtorrent 0.7.9 and it's associated libtorrent do not require boost and is very stable.

rtorrent 0.8.0 (and above) along side it's associated libtorrent require boost.

Also you will need the XMLRPC and it's library for remote control.

It's a bit of a bear to get it all compiled, but it's doable.

What I did do was modify some of the slackware slackbuild scripts and made them compile as -static.

This reduced the amount of shared libs a lil. 

I.E.

For rtorrent 0.7.9 the dependency list went down by 3-4 packages.

For rtorrent 0.8.2 it went down by 2 packages.

1,  boost (i.e. compile it locally but not required to be installed on the destination).

2.  libtorrent (rtorrent compiled the needed functions in locally).

0.8.2 required XMLRPC to be installed as a shared library no matter what I did.

I can provide my packages and/or source if you have an FTP account I could drop them into.

Send me a PM and we can work on this offline.

I was using the stable 0.7.9 release of rtorrent, but I had a newer version of libtorrent... libtorrent 0.13 was requiring boost, not rtorrent.  Dropped libtorrent back to 11.7 and it all compiles fine now.

I'm not too worried now about size of modules and libs for BubbaRaid... even with a TON of crap added, the initramfs is still using under 10% of ram (since it is gzipped) on a 500MB box.

Forget torrentflux. Its got a history of load issues since it spawns a whole nnew instance per torrent and most of the good private trackers wont let you use it.

The torrent spec is so badly documented all clients are definately not created equal. rTorrent is vastly superior

New release of BubbaRaid.  Version 0.0.3 Beta

My ultimate goal is to 1) have a full-featured application platform and 2) be able to completely administer the server via a browser, and not need telnet.

This version has a lot of user-interface niceties, to make it simple to configure and administer -- all from the browser.  I built a control panel applet for Lighttpd web server that allows you to stop, start, restart, and kill the web server from the browser.  You can also edit and save text files on the server using just the browser.... no Samba or Telnet needed.

It includes a personal web server (virtual) along with the stock web server portal to the applications, such as NZBGet.

It has a lot of the pieces to sound support included.  I'm working on the ALSA parts now.  If you run lsmod, it should see the sound card hardware on a lot of systems. 

Download it from:  http://www.tcpatools.com/bubbaraid003-beta.zip

Next on the plate is getting rtorrent w/ wtorrent, and abcupsd included... and finish optional sound support.

Then on to Slimserver and Avahi

Good questions.

BubbaRaid is simply unRAID 4.3.3 with some additional stuff added to it.  You just unzip it to the same flash as your regular unRAID 4.3.3 and run the "enable_bubbaraid" batch file.  It doesn't affect your regular unRaid, it is just installed on the same flash so instead of two menu options (unRaid and Memtest) you have three options (unRaid, Memtest, and BubbaRaid)

Yes, it runs emhttp by running it from within the regular unRAID initramfs image.

I don't plan to make a BubbaRaid for each unRAID beta... but I will upgrade BubbaRaid to the latest unRAID version after it is out of beta.

This is looking exceedingly cool. I have a request, if it would be easy to add.

NTP daemon (for internal network)

Also, if I understand you correctly, you have a web management interface, and an independent web server, which I guess would answer on another port. Is the web server port ok to expose to the internet? Or would that expose too much of the underlying system? Also, can the management interface port be password protected and exposed to the internet for remote management?

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but all sorts of lightbulbs went off in my head when I started thinking about the possibilities of this system. I really like the idea of a hardware independent full featured flash drive based server.

Why would an NTP daemon be useful?  I mean why run a time server in your house, when there are much better ones on the internet?  The only thing I can think of is if unRAID can get time from the Internet, but you have some PCs that are blocked from the Internet, but can talk to unRAID.

BubbaRaid has a complete install of Lighttpd, which supports web authentication, so you can set of password access to any (or all) of the BubbaRaid web applications.  You just need to enable the proper parts in the Lighttpd config.

If you secure the app interfaces via Lighttp, you can expose BubbaRaid to the Internet, and only let inbound port 80 through your router.  There might even be a way to secure the unRAID managment console with a wrapper.... let me think about it.

The NTP daemon is something I like to use, because it seemed like all my different machines had a hard time staying accurate when they had to get through my often clogged internet pipe. If I only have 1 machine syncing to the outside world, and all my internal machines syncing to it on the gigabit lan, it just seemed to be a whole lot more consistent internally. I could not care less if all my machines are off by a minute or so, but it's a pain if it's not the same minute. ;)

Why would an NTP daemon be useful?  I mean why run a time server in your house, when there are much better ones on the internet?  The only thing I can think of is if unRAID can get time from the Internet, but you have some PCs that are blocked from the Internet, but can talk to unRAID.

As also mentioned, I do the same thing. One time server synced externally, other hosts sync internally to that.

I also have squid and dhcp on my unRAID server. Plus a whole PXE boot setup for bootimg floppy images over the network.

My time server thoughts (and why i run one). The actual time that each host has is less important than then all being on the same time. If they are all wrong by a minute due to some internet error then at least all your logs on every box are the same. Trying to compare logs that have differernt times due to drift is SO SO difficult.

I'll put it on the list.  Things like these I usually put on the router, since even unRAID is down on some occasions, and things like DHCP need to be up 7x24

It's not necessary to put these things on unRAID (Although a time server would be OK)

Just for clarification,  I put these type of servers on a set of administrative servers, one that backs up the other. my dhcp is used more then a hardware router/firewall can usually deal with.

I mentioned tftp and PXE boot.  Whenever I need a boot floppy (bios or diagnostic) I use vmware, create a floppy image, move it to the pxe boot server and update the config.  All my hosts have host setups in dhcp so they get the same ip address all the time and support pxe. I boot allot from the network when doing maintenance.

For me, I think unRAID is the appropriate place for it (in my network).

It stores archives of images both floppy and CD/DVD.

With the use of autofs I can cd to a specific directory named as the image and autofs will mount it for me.

When I need to grab files from an old cdrom, I can merely cd/sftp/ftp to it and access the files.

With a browser based filemanager that makes it even quicker!

As far as it's usefulness for others and inclusion into unRAID or bubbaRAID, this is the authors call.

I successfully installed bubbaRAID today!  Very simple and smooth installation.  Works great.  I am attaching a syslog in case BubbaQ would like to see it.

I'm a bit of a Linux newbie, and installing this was a piece of cake.  Now I just have to learn how to use some of the tools that are here!

I few misc comments:

- When you extract the .ZIP file for BubbaRAID, make sure that you extract it to the root of the flash.  It should create a few directories as it goes.

- It dual boots between unRAID and BubbaRAID perfectly.

- I have a 1G memory stick and only about 100M is full after loading it.  I'd think anyone with at least a 128M flash could use it.

- unMenu works well.  After clicking through the menus I get the following messages in the telnet session:

No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_COLLATE = "C",
        LANG = "en_US"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_COLLATE = "C",
        LANG = "en_US"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

Some of this is likely because I am using an old P4 motherboard (P4C800 Deluxe).

Thanks BubbaQ.  This is AWESOME!

So... did I miss anything?

What about RSYNC??  That is one that that I do require.  Suppose I could run BubbaRaid along side my existing GO script commands that load the packages that I need (i.e. rsync).

Why am I having a difficult time locating the BubbaRaid download in this thread????  I'd like to check it out.

Thanks!  Did the web server and other apps start up OK?

Yes, everything I tried worked.  One of the packages expects to find a disk1 - and if the array is offline it does not initialize correctly.  I was using my second stick with a new configuration so the array didn't start the first time.  On reboot, everything seemed fine.

There is a slight issue with unRAD due to moving default unRAID UI to port 88 (the page in unMenu that launches it doesn't work).  I know this is very easy to fix, but just wanted to report any anomolies.

What app did you use to play MP3s?  Was hoping to find something with a Web interface that would allow randomization.

BTW, I installled the beta 3 version from post 1 in this thread.