What do you want in a custom unRAID package (BubbaRaid)

Jinzora is nice, but I've had problems in the past with it. I believe it's because my music library is so large. it ran very slow, as did slimserver.

It might function better today or it may have even been upgraded.

As far as MPD and Jinzora, MPD is for playing the music on the server, Jinzora can control MPD and/or play it via a stream to a remote client.

Nice program, Just didn't work well for me when I tried it a while back.

I believe you need to have MPD scan the music repository and also have3 Jinzora scan the repository, each keeping it's own database.

Jinzora would then communicate to MPD

I ended up using MPD and PHPmp (NCMP and MPC) for Jukebox control of my radio station.

I ended up using andromeda which is a PHP front end for navigating the music via file system. This was not free, but there are others similar.

My friend Roland had good results with Jinzora and MPD, so it may be totally my issue with such a large music library.

At the very least, consider a review of NCMPC, MPC and PHPMP or one of it's versions if you are going to include MPD.

Other MPD Clients

http://www.musicpd.org/clients.shtml

http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Clients

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: i also went ahead and tried to reinstall the slimserver and that did not seem to help

No, it will not... that has nothing to do with this problem.

it will not allow me to do it while i am telneted in

What does that mean?  Do you know how to use vi?

Maybe make it so that we can edit this file like the ones we do for rtorrent?

No, the passwd files is not for editing.. the instructions I gave you are strictly for troubleshooting your problem.

Have you tried upgrading to version 0.0.7?

yes i have upgraded to 0.0.7.

if i type

cat /etc/passwd

from within a Terminal window directly i get this as output:

##
# User Database
# 
# Note that this file is consulted directly only when the system is running
# in single-user mode.  At other times this information is provided by
# Open Directory.
#
# This file will not be consulted for authentication unless the BSD local node
# is enabled via /Applications/Utilities/Directory Utility.app
# 
# See the DirectoryService( man page for additional information about
# Open Directory.
##
nobody:*:-2:-2:Unprivileged User:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
root:*:0:0:System Administrator:/var/root:/bin/sh
daemon:*:1:1:System Services:/var/root:/usr/bin/false
_uucp:*:4:4:Unix to Unix Copy Protocol:/var/spool/uucp:/usr/sbin/uucico
_lp:*:26:26:Printing Services:/var/spool/cups:/usr/bin/false
_postfix:*:27:27:Postfix Mail Server:/var/spool/postfix:/usr/bin/false
_mcxalr:*:54:54:MCX AppLaunch:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_pcastagent:*:55:55:Podcast Producer Agent:/var/pcast/agent:/usr/bin/false
_pcastserver:*:56:56:Podcast Producer Server:/var/pcast/server:/usr/bin/false
_serialnumberd:*:58:58:Serial Number Daemon:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_devdocs:*:59:59:Developer Documentation:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_sandbox:*:60:60:Seatbelt:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_mdnsresponder:*:65:65:mDNSResponder:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_ard:*:67:67:Apple Remote Desktop:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_www:*:70:70:World Wide Web Server:/Library/WebServer:/usr/bin/false
_eppc:*:71:71:Apple Events User:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_cvs:*:72:72:CVS Server:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_svn:*:73:73:SVN Server:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_mysql:*:74:74:MySQL Server:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_sshd:*:75:75:sshd Privilege separation:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_qtss:*:76:76:QuickTime Streaming Server:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_cyrus:*:77:6:Cyrus Administrator:/var/imap:/usr/bin/false
_mailman:*:78:78:Mailman List Server:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_appserver:*:79:79:Application Server:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_clamav:*:82:82:ClamAV Daemon:/var/virusmails:/usr/bin/false
_amavisd:*:83:83:AMaViS Daemon:/var/virusmails:/usr/bin/false
_jabber:*:84:84:Jabber XMPP Server:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_xgridcontroller:*:85:85:Xgrid Controller:/var/xgrid/controller:/usr/bin/false
_xgridagent:*:86:86:Xgrid Agent:/var/xgrid/agent:/usr/bin/false
_appowner:*:87:87:Application Owner:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_windowserver:*:88:88:WindowServer:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_spotlight:*:89:89:Spotlight:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_tokend:*:91:91:Token Daemon:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_securityagent:*:92:92:SecurityAgent:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_calendar:*:93:93:Calendar:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_teamsserver:*:94:94:TeamsServer:/var/teamsserver:/usr/bin/false
_update_sharing:*:95:-2:Update Sharing:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_installer:*:96:-2:Installer:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_atsserver:*:97:97:ATS Server:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_unknown:*:99:99:Unknown User:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false

If i telnet into the server and type

cat /etc/passwd

i get something different.  I do not currently have a monitor hooked up to the server, hence the reason i am trying to telnet to it and change this stuff.  When I get out of classes and back to the house I will hook a monitor up to the server and try to do this stuff directly on the server.

I don't know where that passwd file is coming from... that is definitely not what ships with unRAID or BubbaRaid.... you must be connecting to a different system.

I believe this is the one that is directly on my Mac.  If i telnet into the unRaid box and do a

cat /etc/passwd

then the file is different (not home right now to post an example), but i can't

vi /etc/passwd

the file via telnet.  So i need to get a monitor hooked up to the unRaid server and try to edit that file directly from the server.

Hey there, any way of getting Apache Tomcat and some kinda of database (MySql maybe) on there?

I would like to create something I think would be useful.  I use rapidshare alot to download all sorts of interesting things I find on the internet.  I would like to create a site on the unraid server that I could log into from anywhere, input a bunch of rapidshare links, and hit "download".  Now the unraid server will be responsible for keeping these downloads alive and I will need only one machine in my house on all the time.  Also i would be able to login from work and start remote downloads at home and have them finished by the time i return home.

I think this will be a nifty feature and I will share it with others that may use rapidshare. 

Please let me know if it would be possible to get Apache Tomcat on the server and a database.

Thanks,

Kamil

I'm not including Jinzora or a MPD client.  If you want to play on your desktop, you can install one of the window's apps for talking to MPD.

This looks to me to be a smart decision.  I was starting to get worried about you, as it looked like you were starting to fall into a black hole of support.  The problem with adding and adding and trying to satisfy every request is, it carries a larger and larger ethical burden and expectation of support.  I personally think you should consider pruning it back to a manageable framework, supportable within your workload, and allow the community (including you) to be more involved in the extra packages.  What often happens in projects like this, is that the originator starts out with the best of intentions, tries to please too many people, gets bogged down in detail and support, and burns out, and the project crashes.  Better to share the load, and then you can contribute when you feel like it, and not when others expect it.

I in no way offer this in criticism, as I'm sure you have the abilities to handle it all.  But there's a point where a fun and very useful project can lose all its fun.  Keep it fun, and manageable.  And remember, we are never going to stop asking for more!

I'm not including Jinzora or a MPD client.  If you want to play on your desktop, you can install one of the window's apps for talking to MPD.

This looks to me to be a smart decision.  I was starting to get worried about you, as it looked like you were starting to fall into a black hole of support.  The problem with adding and adding and trying to satisfy every request is, it carries a larger and larger ethical burden and expectation of support.  I personally think you should consider pruning it back to a manageable framework, supportable within your workload, and allow the community (including you) to be more involved in the extra packages. !

While I agree, I also think if MPD is being installed, at least one of the basic clients should be installed such as mpc, ncpmc or phpmp.

Jinzora or a heavier browser based streaming app could be a maintenance chore.

In comparison, mpc & ncmpc usually compile easily with minimal libraries. phpmp is fairly self contained.

They are just interfaces into he socketed daemon.

Overall, Maybe it's not worth the effort of including mpd for using unRAID as a jukebox player.

Perhaps just documenting the packages and processes is enough.

It really depends on what the end goals are and how people want to use BubbaRAID.

This looks to me to be a smart decision.  I was starting to get worried about you, as it looked like you were starting to fall into a black hole of support.  The problem with adding and adding and trying to satisfy every request is, it carries a larger and larger ethical burden and expectation of support.  I personally think you should consider pruning it back to a manageable framework, supportable within your workload, and allow the community (including you) to be more involved in the extra packages. !

While I agree, I also think if MPD is being installed, at least one of the basic clients should be installed such as mpc, ncpmc or phpmp.

Jinzora or a heavier browser based streaming app could be a maintenance chore.

In comparison, mpc & ncmpc usually compile easily with minimal libraries. phpmp is fairly self contained.

They are just interfaces into he socketed daemon.

Overall, Maybe it's not worth the effort of including mpd for using unRAID as a jukebox player.

Perhaps just documenting the packages and processes is enough.

It really depends on what the end goals are and how people want to use BubbaRAID.

if your intent is to make "BubbaRaid" into an appliance, one that needs no knowledge of the underlying software,I think you will find yourself doing a lot of support.

If your intent is to provide a skeletal framework for experienced users and developers to build their OWN application platforms, suited to their needs, you will do far less support, and attract people with levels of experience more closely ties to their desire to customize their server.

unRAID is targeted to those who have never logged into a Linux box in their lives.  BubbaRaid is targeted to those (I think) who have Linux/Unix experience, have installed and configured software packages, and have a basic knowledge of how to read any resulting error messages.  (We ALL use google to find similar errors and to build on other's past experience)

There really is no easy way to have a middle ground.  Either you know how to search "Google" and build on your skills, or not.  Either you are familiar with basic Linux administrative tasks, or not.  If you are unable to edit and configure files to suit YOUR configuration of packages and hardware you are going to be disappointed in the result.  it can quickly become a steep learning curve as no program can foresee everything.

Joe L.

My target is twofold:

1) novice users, who do not customize, who want torrents and other common downloading apps.

2) more advanced users, who want to customize, but can't due to lack of a development environment, particularly needing kernel changes.

The motivation, however, is my own server... and writing all the monitoring functions the way I want them.

mpc & ncmpc don't stream... in fact, none of the lightweight clients I could find will stream.  So they only work if you have a sound card and working sound drivers on the server.... not a good prospect as it would likely just create frustration in users thinking it will stream.

mpd does not stream to clients either.

mpd is designed to play mp3 files on the local machine out of the local machine's sound card.

If you install icecast, jack or pulse(I think) then it can stream.

What allot of people do is setup small NAS boxes with a USB sound adapter, MPD, Apache, PHP and PHPmp or use a windows client and even pocketpc based clients. (for the record I'm not suggesting installing usb sound support unless it's something you want).

I mentioned it because you said you had mpg123 running (which plays sound locally on the sound card) and there was past interest a while back about using the unRAID server to play sound via the sound card through a whole house audio system.

>> 2) more advanced users, who want to customize, but can't due to lack of a development environment, particularly needing kernel changes.

This is why I mentioned the lightweight clients.

>> they only work if you have a sound card and working sound drivers on the server.... not a good prospect as it would likely just create frustration in users thinking it will stream.

If you do not want to support sound playing capability directly on the server,  then it may not be worth the effort to include mpd.

(I'm only trying to save you some work or providing a method for people to use the application you've worked so hard  on installing)

@prostuff1 - why can't you use vi via telnet? 

I don't have the slightest clue.

I have managed to get a monitor hooked up and i edited the file manually via vi from the server.  Was easy to do that way and probably what i should have done in the first place.

I got the line input and all seems to be working well, it said slimserver running, and then i clicked back to the main page and it had stopped.

I ran that perl command again and now i am getting this permissions denied error:

Useless use of a constant in void context at /mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 129.
[08-10-17 18:12:35.8878] Carp::croak (44) Warning: can't create /mnt/disk1/slimserver/Cache/stringcache: Permission denied at /mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Strings.pm line 174
[08-10-17 18:12:35.9104] Slim::Utils::Prefs::Namespace::savenow (321) Error: can't save /mnt/disk1/slimserver/prefs/server.prefs: Permission denied at /mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Prefs/Namespace.pm line 310.

EDIT:  I did a chmod 777 on the slimserver folder and all is good now it seems.  I have slimserver up and running and it seems to be working.

mpd does not stream to clients either.

Actually, it does, with the right client.  Jinzora will stream from mpd just fine.

Jinzora does not stream from MPD. Jinzora sends back end commands over a socket and tells MPD to play a local file or a remote stream.

MPD Plays music via the sound card/ALSA or streams via ICECAST, Jack or Pulse.

Consider MPD akin to a fancy mpg123 or mplayer program.  I.E. Music Playing Daemon.

BubbaRaid-0.0.6-Beta is now available.

There are a lot of additions ‘behind the scenes’ that you won’t see yet.  I have a background intelligent file downloader almost finished. 

Wow, bubbaQ. What type of file tranfer and protocols are you planning to support with this feaute?

@prostuff1:  Glad you got it working.  I'll double-check the permissions in the SLimserver install process.

@olympia: The background transfers use wget so it will handle FTP and HTTP, and updates the dashboard via ajax to show download progress.  It is in BubbaRaid 0.0.7-Beta. 

Right now it is only for downloading BubbaRaid updates, but it can be expanded to download anything.  In the next version of BubbaRaid, there will be a screen where you can enter the URL of a large file, launch the downloader, and BubbaRaid will download it in the background for you.

@olympia: The background transfers use wget so it will handle FTP and HTTP, and updates the dashboard via ajax to show download progress.  It is in BubbaRaid 0.0.7-Beta. 

Right now it is only for downloading BubbaRaid updates, but it can be expanded to download anything.  In the next version of BubbaRaid, there will be a screen where you can enter the URL of a large file, launch the downloader, and BubbaRaid will download it in the background for you.

Sounds very promising. Ajax based progress indicator is more, than I expected. (Is there any chance that you could add an ftp browser for it in the future?)

I've installed the latest bubbaraid (beta 7) and booted the machine up. Then i opened the emhttp (tower:88) and all the disks are red. Emhttp says too many disks bad/missing, but they all are proper for shure. I decided to make a backup of my super.dat file and then pressed "restore" button. Emhttp started to record new parity on my parity disk. What was wrong? Did i do well pressing restore?

@Koperfild:  Were you using unRAID 4.3.3?  I have seen this happen when using an unRAID Beta with BubbaRaid.

I'm not sure what else emhttp looks at that could cause it to think the drives are wrong, when they are, as you said, all actually correct.

If you ever install BubbaRaid, and it boots with something wrong with your array, I would reboot back to regular unRAID and see if things are OK there.

Yes i was using unraid 4.3.3 i pressed "restore" button without thinking too long about that. I hope i didn't mess the things up :o

When i list directories all the files look to be ok now. Should i stop parity building and uninstall bubbaraid and then boot regular unraid and build the parity once again? would it be safer?

P.S. I calculated checksums of both super.dat files. They are different. Very strange...

hum, having some more problems with slimserver.  I had it up and running just fine.  I did add some music to my library and therefor change some of the stuff.

now i am getting this after the perl command:

Useless use of a constant in void context at /mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 129.
Warning: World-writable config file '/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored
Warning: World-writable config file '/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored
081020 20:53:36 [ERROR] Can't find messagefile '/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys'
081020 20:53:36 [ERROR] Aborting

[08-10-20 20:54:07.7431] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (70) Error: DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('hostname=127.0.0.1;port=9092;database=slimserver:mysql_socket=/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Cache/squeezecenter-mysql.sock','slimserver',...) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111) at /mnt/disk1/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 652
[08-10-20 20:54:07.7454] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (70) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 70)
  frame 1: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 658)
  frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_connect (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 616)
  frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_populate_dbh (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 543)
  frame 4: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::ensure_connected (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 29)
  frame 5: (eval) (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 29)
  frame 6: Slim::Schema::Storage::dbh (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Schema.pm line 131)
  frame 7: Slim::Schema::init (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 76)
  frame 8: Slim::Music::Info::init (slimserver.pl line 369)
  frame 9: main::init (slimserver.pl line 479)
  frame 10: main::main (slimserver.pl line 1043)

[08-10-20 20:54:07.7461] Slim::Schema::init (134) Error: Couldn't connect to database! Fatal error: [] Exiting!
[08-10-20 20:54:07.7465] Slim::Schema::init (134) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Schema.pm line 134)
  frame 1: Slim::Schema::init (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 76)
  frame 2: Slim::Music::Info::init (slimserver.pl line 369)
  frame 3: main::init (slimserver.pl line 479)
  frame 4: main::main (slimserver.pl line 1043)

[08-10-20 20:54:07.7470] Slim::Schema::forceCommit (1485) Warning: Trying to commit transactions before DB is initialized!

I have done some basic searching but nothing to deep.  Any insight would be greatly apreciated.

@Koperfild:  Just let finish.... it should be ok.

@prostuff1:  It looks like one of the SQL daemons died.  Try stopping SS and restarting it.  FWIW, I've seen a lot of perl warnings and other output that indicates the SS perl code ion Linux s not necessarily A grade work.