What do you want in a custom unRAID package (BubbaRaid)

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should I upgrade unraid to 4.4 before trying bubbaraid ..0.9 alpha? I've been working with unraid 4.3.3 and buba raid 0.7.

See this post:   http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2505.msg23699#msg23699

Some confusion here.... I am finally ready to try this out on one of my servers. Looking at the first post, reading the above post and links, it looks like I need to have the .7 code and "upgrade" it with the .9 Alpha to work on 4.4 - yes? Well, the .7 code is no longer linked anywhere to download :-( Now, I *did* find it via a cached Google link but before firing it up I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing :o

So, install the .7 code, run the batch file in Winders to set it up (I assume), THEN install the .9Alpha in order to run this with the latest 4.4 unRAID code? Have I missed anything? I am primarily after the Torrent client and WEB interface, using uTorrent on my primary machine is a PITA.  ;D

Thanks!!!

It works like a chain of updates. First you install full 0.7, then you upgrade to 0.8 and then to 0.9.

No.

First, you have to install 0.0.7... which will only install on unRAID 4.3.

Then you have to upgrade unRAID to 4.4

Then apply the 0.0.9 BubbaRaid upgrade.

I'll have a complete BubbaRaid package soon, for a fresh install.  The problem is redoing things to preserve existing scripts and config files.

(EDITED)

bubbaQ I'll be trying your package later today, those last posts helped me understand which version of unRAID I need to have, but note that in the next edit of your first post you should include "valid version information" there (and for the components included)

the sole reason I am trying this (which looks like great work but I am a bit scared of messing a nice working setup - working email notifications an unmenu and the trick for faster transfers) is torrents... I need to have just one machine switched on

quick questions:

1) what happens with things that need configuring (email notification for example) - FOUND MYSELF: the config files are editable from your page

2) how do I handle the torrent (I don't expect a manual, I should find one in the client's site, just a pointer to how to invoke it or something) - in fact it would be nice to know how to interact with all the servers installed (like slimserver) - FOUND MYSELF: through your portal page

3) what about the transfer speed tweak? is it there? I am not sure if it is still needed in 4.4 but I have 4.4 and doesn't seem to hurt - couldn't find a reply in the thread (but did find the question asked before)

4) any chance of a working (and configured) properly ftpd? or is out of the scope (and abilities) of bubbaRAID? - it was in my original requests, still I don't know if it is there or not

and erm...

5) WHERE is "enable_bubba" because I don't see in the zip (so I don't expect to see it in my flash except if some linux magic takes care of that) - FOUND MYSELF: Just realized that only the update package is available. So I cannot use the thing at all. Please make the full package soon.

6) By slimserver you refer to squeezecenter?

New questions to r/wtorrent users:

- Are those two SEPARATE? Compliment each other? You can use one or the other? Can both be used?

- Do they allow for the .torrent files to be in a different place than where the torrents themselves are (so to prohibit our .torrent files from sharing)?

- Are we able to have different torrents in different disks? Because some of the torrents I share are huge, I sometimes share them from their original location, not copy them to a dedicated torrent folder. So, can I do this?

- Is the normal share vs. user share issue resolved? (I don't care much for that because for torrents I usually "speak" to normal shares, as user shares - ahem Tom - create problems with huge files etc)

6) By slimserver you refer to squeezecenter?

Yes

New questions to r/wtorrent users:

- Are those two SEPARATE? Compliment each other? You can use one or the other? Can both be used?

One is the backend and one is the front end.  rtorrent is the backwnd and wtorrent is the web interface front end.

- Do they allow for the .torrent files to be in a different place than where the torrents themselves are (so to prohibit our .torrent files from sharing)?

you can set it up so that there is an auto add folder.  When you drop a torrent file in that folder it will start to download.  I do not use this functionality.  I just download the .torrent file to my local machine and then, through the web interface, upload the .torrent file.  From there the torrent will start and it works beautifully.

- Are we able to have different torrents in different disks? Because some of the torrents I share are huge, I sometimes share them from their original location, not copy them to a dedicated torrent folder. So, can I do this?

You probably can but i don't bother to mess with it.  I usually download the file, do what i want with it, and then move it to where it needs to go.  I usually seed to a ratio of 4:1 (seed ratio can also be controlled in the rtorrent config file, although i have not quite figured it out yet).

- Is the normal share vs. user share issue resolved? (I don't care much for that because for torrents I usually "speak" to normal shares, as user shares - ahem Tom - create problems with huge files etc)

not sure on this one, as i am technically still running an older version of BubbaRaid and unRaid (have not update either yet).  I know that i write all my torrent files to /mnt/disk1/torrents and so on.

thanks man

my second torrent question (about the .torrent file) was if I am allowed to have this file in a separate folder than where I download the actual torrents, you see many trackers don't allow you to use the same folders as you potentially share your .torrent files which are "personal" for you (and your statistics) - this can be done I trust eh?

still waiting for replies from bubba though (on #3, #4 and hopefully a comment on #5)

Hi,

I now have Bubbaraid 0.9 running on top of unRaid 4.4.  My issue is with the squeezeenter install.  It manages to download the latest squeezecenter tgz, and extract it ok.  Then it goes through a routine of starting it up twice.  The second time, after the 15 second delay, it always fails. 

Syncing disks...

Setting file permissions...

Starting Squeezecenter for the first time...

Setting permissions on new files...

Killing left over MySQL daemons...

Starting Squeezecenter for the second time...

Waiting 15 seconds for Slimserver to create files...

Slim server DID NOT START PROPERLY.  Sorry

I've delved into a bit with my limited knowledge, and it looks as though perl isn't being properly compiled. 

slimserver.pl

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:

LANGUAGE = (unset),

LC_ALL = (unset),

LC_COLLATE = "C",

LANG = "en_US"

are supported and installed on your system.

perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

The following modules failed to load: GD

To download and compile them, please run: /mnt/disk2/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl GD

Exiting..

So I've tried building perl...

root@Tower:/mnt/disk2/slimserver/Bin# build-perl-modules.pl

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:

LANGUAGE = (unset),

LC_ALL = (unset),

LC_COLLATE = "C",

LANG = "en_US"

are supported and installed on your system.

perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

Can't locate File/Which.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN /usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN CPAN /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at ./build-perl-modules.pl line 20.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./build-perl-modules.pl line 20.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Matt.

johnieutah,

funny. Several minutes ago I installed Perl on top of a plain unRAID v4.4. I created a simple perl-unmenu-package.conf for unMENU. It looks like that:

PACKAGE_NAME perl (Practical Extraction and Report Language)
PACKAGE_DESCR Larry Wall's "Practical Extraction and Report Language".  Perl is a
PACKAGE_DESCR language optimized for scanning arbitrary text files, extracting
PACKAGE_DESCR information from those text files, and printing reports based on that
PACKAGE_DESCR information.  It's also a good language for many system management
PACKAGE_DESCR tasks.  The language is intended to be practical (easy to use,
PACKAGE_DESCR efficient, complete) rather than beautiful (tiny, elegant, minimal).
PACKAGE_URL http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/d/perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz
PACKAGE_FILE perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz
PACKAGE_MD5 86506399bc1a0ead65f9b294e14910a3
PACKAGE_INSTALLED /usr/bin/perl
PACKAGE_DEPENDENCIES none
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION installpkg perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz
PACKAGE_VERSION_TEST perl --version 2>&1 | grep 'This is perl' | awk '{print $4}'
PACKAGE_VERSION_STRING v5.10.0
PACKAGE_MEMORY_USAGE n/a

Starting Perl after successful installtion showed exactly the same output like you did experience.

I'm pretty sure that this has nothing to do with bubbaRAID alone. Both, bubbaRAID and unRAID, simply don't set this environment. IMHO as long as you store files you don't need to worry about locale. If you use applications it should be set properly. I need UTF-8 - so I need to find out how to install and set this stuff. I just came here to ask for help ;-)

Thanks

Harald

There are some environment variables for perl you can set that will eliminate the messages... but they are harmless.... they are not the problem with Slimserver

Slimserver install (spit) doesn't set permissions correctly.  There is another post about that.

funambol  is not in my plans

As for locations of (torrent) files, you can either edit the setup files, or (my preferred method) use symlinks to relocate the files to another location, symlinked back to the default.

I still don't have a clean way of distributing the config files for the various applications, that will work for both new installs, but not overwrite customizations done by users with existing installs.  When I have that solved, I'll have a new version of BubbaRaid.

But in general, I encourage users to only make minimal, absolutely necessary changes to the config file defaults, and use symlinks instead (where possible).

I still don't have a clean way of distributing the config files for the various applications, that will work for both new installs, but not overwrite customizations done by users with existing installs.  When I have that solved, I'll have a new version of BubbaRaid.

Not to push to much but is there any time frame the new version to be released.

I am sticking with 4.3.3 and the previous version of BubbaRaid as they are working fine for me and I don't feel like messing with a setup that is working.

I guess my next question is:

Is there any chance of making the BubbaRaid interface into a plugin and adopting the unmenu.awk interface?  The BubbaRaid interface is nice and does what it needs to but there are some things in unmenu.awk that i would like to take advantage of and not have three different interfaces (unmenu.awk, BubbaRaid, and normal unRaid).

BubbaRaid is intended to maximize bang (widespread usefulness) for the buck (my time) for novices.  VMs are not for the typical novices nor are they a feature that has much bang.  If I do add a VM, it will 99.9% likely be VirtualBox, not VMWare.

Not to push to much but is there any time frame the new version to be released.

Yes.  Between now and Xmas 2010.  ;D

Is there any chance of making the BubbaRaid interface into a plugin and adopting the unmenu.awk interface?

Nope.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the reasoning behind this?

(sigh)  It would be impossible for me to answer it for you in the limited abilities of a forum post.  If you can't answer that question yourself, I'm afraid I can't help you.

As for rsynchd and sshd, they are not going to happen in BubbaRaid any time soon.  They are outside the scope of BubbaRaid, stated previously.  Neither of those are applications of use to the middle of the novice-user bell curve.  As I posted before, "the target user is the person who wants more than file storage, but isn't up to rolling their own kernel."  BubbaRaid is for people who are afraid to touch their computer, who don't want to "see" Linux --- who run screaming in terror from a telnet prompt.  Probably Mac protocols are the next thing I'd like to add, but then again, I don't have a Mac to test them.  That said, no one should refrain from suggesting applications to add to BubbaRaid, particularly where it is an application that fits the above criteria.... just fon't have a cow if your favorite program ain't got widespread appeal.

I've said it a dozen time in various forum posts --- if you REALLY want an unRAID server that does EVERYTHING you want, it is simple to take a spare hard drive, install Slackware on it, and add unRAID to it.  It really is simple. -- no harder than baking a cake from a scratch recipe.  For anyone who would use rsync, ssh, VMware, or other utilities, a full Slackware install will be 1000 dimes better than BubbaRaid will ever be.

Don't take my rants too seriously.  I'm a stereotypical, crotchety, antisocial, network administrator and programmer, usually referred to as the "network Natzi" wherever I worked ... but my servers and networks ran to 5 nines every year I was in charge of them, in every place I ever worked... so I'm a big proponent of stability and serving the core functionality before branching out to the fringes.  Sometimes it gets a little tiring leading horses to water and having them ask how to drink it.