What do you want in a custom unRAID package (BubbaRaid)

I'm a first-week user and I just ran into some problems after installing BubbaRaid.

I used unraid for a couple days with 4 drives and no problems whatsoever. So i decided to explore the addons. Bubbaraid looks great, and i REALLY want to get rtorrent working.

I installed bubbaraid. I opened the web portal, but no links would work. I'd click them and a white screen would appear. So i decided to try a reboot (I did it safely through the main unraid webpage... stop array, spin down, shutdown). The following problems occurred after reboot:

1. NO files appear in the flash drive in windows explorer. Some folders are visible (bubba, config, smarthistory), but no files are visible in any folder or subfolder. This immediately worried me, and I decided I should try to uninstall bubbaraid but I can't because disable_bubba.bat is not visible in windows. I know all the files are still on the flash drive because I can see them in Telnet.

2. A parity check was triggered after this initial reboot. I thought it was strange, but as I'm new to unraid I let it continue because I thought bubbaraid might have triggered it this one time. I have since rebooted several times and a parity check is started EVERY time. Am I to understand this is because the system is not shutting down properly? It was shutting down fine until I installed bubbaraid.

3. In the BubbaRaid portal, under Array status, it says "9QJ0Z3J5: WARNING - Reallocated_Sector_Ct has increased from (no data) to 7 since (no data)". I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be worried by this, but it is in red after all.

4. Lastly, links to applications in the bubbaraid portal will now work. nzbget opens fine. but rtorrent will not work. If i try to start rtorrent I get the following popup

Starting rTorrent daemon...

(this will take a few seconds) ....

rTorrent daemon did not restart,

and reported error:

rtorrent is the main reason I want to use the bubbasoftware, so I really want to fix this problem.

I've attached my syslog.txt to provide additional information.

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

edit: I was able to uninstall bubbleraid by inserting the flash in my windows pc and running disable_bubba.bat. I put it back in the tower and unraid seems to be back to normal. Files can be viewed in windows explorer on the flash, and unraid isn't doing a parity check each time i reboot.

Again, this isn't the solution I want though. I want bubba & rtorrent to work.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help with the BubbaRAID stuff, but I can with other issues.  First and most important: the syslog shows that the FAT file system on the flash drive is corrupted, so take it to a Windows system, and run ScanDisk (check the file system integrity) on it.  Make sure that before you remove it from the Windows machine, you select the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon for the flash drive.  I suspect you may not have when you prepared it with BubbaRAID.

That will probably fix file visibility on the flash drive, but if not, make sure that in your file manager (such as Explorer) that you can see Hidden AND System files.

I understand that a parity check is occasionally necessary on first booting with BubbaRAID, probably because it is compiled differently and may therefore identify the device slots a little differently.  It's not a problem though, and you can abort the Parity check if undesired.

I believe his Smart History shows the differences between current SMART values and previous, but does not yet distinguish between a previous check and the lack of any previous check, so the first run shows some of the non-zero values.  The drive with that serial (...3J5) has at some point in the past remapped 7 bad sectors.  Since you don't know if that is recent or long past, monitor it for a little, to see if it continues to grow.  If not, no problem.

Oh, and welcome to unRAID!

Thanks for your reply Rob. There's just one more question.

I can't help with the BubbaRAID stuff, but I can with other issues.  First and most important: the syslog shows that the FAT file system on the flash drive is corrupted, so take it to a Windows system, and run ScanDisk (check the file system integrity) on it.  Make sure that before you remove it from the Windows machine, you select the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon for the flash drive. I suspect you may not have when you prepared it with BubbaRAID.

Should I have installed BubbaRaid with the flash drive plugged into my windows pc? Because I didn't. I ran enable_bubba.bat over the LAN, with the flash plugged into my unraid tower. The installation instructions didn't specify.

Thanks for your reply Rob. There's just one more question.

I can't help with the BubbaRAID stuff, but I can with other issues.  First and most important: the syslog shows that the FAT file system on the flash drive is corrupted, so take it to a Windows system, and run ScanDisk (check the file system integrity) on it.  Make sure that before you remove it from the Windows machine, you select the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon for the flash drive. I suspect you may not have when you prepared it with BubbaRAID.

Should I have installed BubbaRaid with the flash drive plugged into my windows pc? Because I didn't. I ran enable_bubba.bat over the LAN, with the flash plugged into my unraid tower. The installation instructions didn't specify.

I have always installed BubbaRaid via windows and not over the network.  My suggestion would be to redo your flash drive and start anew.  That way you are getting a good install of everything.

• 3 weeks later...

3. In the BubbaRaid portal, under Array status, it says "9QJ0Z3J5: WARNING - Reallocated_Sector_Ct has increased from (no data) to 7 since (no data)". I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be worried by this, but it is in red after all.

4. Lastly, links to applications in the bubbaraid portal will now work. nzbget opens fine. but rtorrent will not work. If i try to start rtorrent I get the following popup

Starting rTorrent daemon...

(this will take a few seconds) ....

rTorrent daemon did not restart,

and reported error:

rtorrent is the main reason I want to use the bubbasoftware, so I really want to fix this problem.

im having the same problem.

no links to the original webportal work (tower:88 and tower:83 return 404 errors) and rtorrent fails to start but doesnt say why.

ive installed bubbaraid by running the .bat in windows and everything seemed to work fine.  just nothing much is working in bubbaraid.  are there dependencies i need to install or something to get this to work? sorry im a linux n00b

rTorrent is a bit finiky.... and it is not easy to troubleshoot it remotely.

You may try re-downloading and reinstall BubbaRaid, and cleaning moving any existing torrents to somewhere else for the time being while troubleshooting.

tried formatting the flash and reinstalling everything and still no joy.  im just running a barebones unraid server atm, just 2 drives in it (no parity), unregistered with no files on it (except the /disk1/torrents/downloading etc dirs).

the problem with rtorrent is one thing, but the fact that the http://tower:83/ and http://tower:88/ return a 404 error, suggests a bigger stuff up on my part.  reading your first post you mentioned

The emhttp program will also reside on the flash instead of the initramfs (you'll have to boot your stock unRAID and move it to the flash after you install BubbaRaid)..

am i suppose to do something more than just running the enable .bat file to get bubbaraid working? (once again, im a linux n00b, so not exactly sure what you mean by the above comment).

TIA

i fixed the rtorrent problem, i stupidly didnt create the rtorrent.session directory (only thought u had to create the 3 other dirs - would be nice if the directories where checked if they existed on startup to inform you of how stupid you are :)).

but still have the http://tower:83/ http://tower:88/ 404 errors.

try using the IP address of the server instead of "tower" and the one port if not 83, it is 80.

So it would be something to the effect of:

http://ipaddress:80    and http://ipaddress:88

i fixed the rtorrent problem, i stupidly didnt create the rtorrent.session directory (only thought u had to create the 3 other dirs - would be nice if the directories where checked if they existed on startup to inform you of how stupid you are :)).

but still have the http://tower:83/ http://tower:88/ 404 errors.

try using the IP address of the server instead of "tower" and the one port if not 83, it is 80.

So it would be something to the effect of:

http://ipaddress:80    and http://ipaddress:88

yup using the ipaddress:portnumber now works, but hostname returns 404. weird.  especially since hostname:80 works fine... 

thanks for the help, now i can actually start using my unraid system.

yup using the ipaddress:portnumber now works, but hostname returns 404. weird.  especially since hostname:80 works fine... 

Are you on a Mac system?  if so then you will need to add some stuff to the host file so that your can use "tower" in the line.

Take a look at this thread if you are on a Mac and you should be able to get "tower" working.

Are you on a Mac system?  if so then you will need to add some stuff to the host file so that your can use "tower" in the line.

Take a look at this thread if you are on a Mac and you should be able to get "tower" working.

did some more investigating turns out it was my firewall blocking access to the no standard port.  stupid mistake, sorry for wasting anybodies time

Slimserver issues seem to be a bug in their code (wow... surprise).

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=378082

I've downgraded to a previous version, and got it working in BubbaRaid.  Will post new BubbaRaid later today.

Hi,

Has anybody successfully upgraded Squeezecenter from 7.2.1 to one of the later builds (7.3.3).  Apparently the original issue was fixed (see above link).

Cheers, Matt.

• 3 weeks later...

I find that rtorrent dies periodically and has to be restarted.  I don't see anything in the log files that suggests what could be happening.  Anyone else seeing this?

thanks,

dave

Been seeing this too, lately. Seems to have coincided with switching over to a new router running Tomato. That or OpenDNS. Nothing on the unRaid box changed, and I used to be able to keep rTorrent running continuously without problems. Thought it might be an out-of-RAM issue, so I set up a cache drive and added some swap... didn't help.

I find that rtorrent dies periodically and has to be restarted.  I don't see anything in the log files that suggests what could be happening.  Anyone else seeing this?

thanks,

dave

Been seeing this too, lately. Seems to have coincided with switching over to a new router running Tomato. That or OpenDNS. Nothing on the unRaid box changed, and I used to be able to keep rTorrent running continuously without problems. Thought it might be an out-of-RAM issue, so I set up a cache drive and added some swap... didn't help.

i too have had rtorrent dying on me, sometimes will happen minutes are restarting, sometimes it would be dies between it dying. 

Building a new BubbaRaid based on the current unRAID is a complete rebuild... essentially from scratch because of the new kernel.  I don't have the time -- particularly when it will be superseded when the next unRAID is released.

BubbaRaid I was a proof of concept... and it led to better things.  But the custom kernel is just not the way I plan to take it in the future.  You *know* the driver issues I had getting the last one working.

BubbaRaid II will be an installable package for the web/PHP flavor of unRAID... much easier to support and no driver issues.

I do understand. My only issue is that we hold on development based on the agenda of someone that doesn't go well with agendas.

I don't mean to insult Tom, but we all know (even himself) that 5.0 is probably far far away (Star Wars-like far far away). Also remember the looong betas (and probably the first of them won't be enough to start building your bubbaRAID). Maybe a year. Maybe two! Maybe more. Except if you know otherwise.

That's a huge time frame in computing. It's like not buying extras for your car because you'll get a new better car (that won't be able to use those extras) in... 10 years.

Anyway you are clearly set on your plans on this and clearly I cannot shift you from them.

OK I have a different question. In your opinion, what would be the effect of using plain-unRAID, mount my extra 2 disks and use them and switch to your version when I need one of your extra functions? (esp. torrent)

Taking note that:

- Parity would need to be rebuild every time I do that.

- That I won't have shares I want to use when on "unRAID" mode that reside on the disks on the unsupported controller (duuuh).

- That my shares won't SPAN on those disks (i.e. those two disks are maybe a single new share) because else it would indeed be unpredictable (still I wonder how reading the share definition file will react if it will read about a share on two non existent disks).

- That I don't change security settings between the two "versions".

You think such a (sad) setup would kind-of-work for the coming months/years?

I cannot afford NOT to use my extra disks.

I wouldn't use such a kludge.

You would do MUCH better to simply install a Slackware development system and add unRAID to it.... then you will have everything you want. You can also go to the latest release of rTorrent. Ample instructions are in the Wiki.  Just partition your cache drive for a 20GB Linux and 2GB swap partitions in addition to the rest for cache.  Plus, there are many people here who can assist in that project... you don't have to depend on me and my resource limits.

And that way, you can always just boot back to the USB at any time and you are back to either stock unRAID or BubbaRaid.

Let me be perfectly clear... there is no way I will have another BubbaRaid before the web/PHP version of unRAID.  BubbaRaid I was a proof of concept, and a first iteration.  It is like Neanderthals... a branch that was an big improvement on the original, but an even better improvement, homo sapiens, beat out Neanderthal in the long run because it was better.  If it takes 2 years for unRAID 5.x to come out, then it takes 2 years.

A lot was learned from BubbaRaid I, and the good parts will be used in BubbaRaid II.  BubbaRaid II will come, as the web/php platform is a much better, and long-term supportable paradigm.  It will not be tied to any single version of unRAID, so you can use it with future betas.  It will be hardware independent, with no kernel hacks.  That's the future.

• 1 month later...

Hey Bubba,

what version of rtorrent is installed on your Bubbaraid?

Thanks

EDIT: I sort of kinda got my answer, it's outdated for the torrent tracker I use :( How easily can I upgrade to version 0.8.4?

I notice only 2 files for rotrrent. The configuration one and the sh script... but I don't know where it gets everything else from?

Thanks