What do you want in a custom unRAID package (BubbaRaid)

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, when I set Slimserver to 'autostart', I check the flash drive and I can see that a 'slimserver.autostart.bubba' file gets created (it is zero bytes, but I assume that the existence of the file is what counts) in the 'bubba' directory.  There is a file in that directory named 'slimstart.sh'.  When I reboot, Slimserver is not restarted.  But, I can open a telnet session and run that file (slimstart.sh) and Slimserver starts up.  So, it seems that bubbaraid doesn't realize that it is supposed to run that file on startup.  Any way to debug why this is happening?

Thanks,

Chris

I am having this exact problem now, does any one know why it's not starting slimserver?  Permissions or something??

Thanks, Matt.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this unRAID version specific? The first page says unRAID 4.4.2 needs to be installed. Will it work with the 4.5 Final?

You have to use version 4.4.2 for this addon to work.  You can achieve much the same setup by installing all these packages yourself, but it takes more work.

BubbaQ had mentioned that he was not going to make a BubbaRAID for 4.5 and that he was going to wait for version 5 of unRAID before he did some more work.  I don't know if that decision still stands but I assume it does.  The only way to know for sure would be to send a private message off to BubbaQ.

Bubba doesn't do private messages... post in the forum for everyone to see.

I do still intend to do a new flavor of BubbaRaid, but it will be built on unRAID 5.x.

Some parts of BubbaRaid will be obsoleted by unRAID 5.x, and some others will likely be built into unRAID 5.x itself.

The concept of BubbaRaid is a collection of multiple enhancements in one package.... but each one individually could have also be done individually by anyone.  All that BubbaRaid does is 1) pull them together in one package, and 2) hide the complexity of installing and configuring them.  That second prong was the most important (and difficult), since many things in BubbaRaid required kernel changes as well as changes to the initramfs.  UnRAID 5.x will address the second prong itself, the only question is to what degree it does so. 

Indeed, BubbaRaid may become irrelevant -- if the add-in architecture developed by Tom in 5.x is as good as I anticipate it to be, I expect many other developers will quickly public addins for each of the individual elements of BubbaRaid (torrents, sound, newsgroups, e-mail notify, UPS, Slimserver, media portals, etc.) so that anyone can essentially add everything that is in BubbaRaid to their system individually, and do so with just a couple of clicks in a web interface.  That will also allow people to pick and chose better, and only add the things they want, rather than the BubbaRaid paradigm of install everything , and then just don't start the parts you don't use.  That is wasteful of space.

We shall see soon.....

Bubba doesn't do private messages... post in the forum for everyone to see.

I do still intend to do a new flavor of BubbaRaid, but it will be built on unRAID 5.x.

Some parts of BubbaRaid will be obsoleted by unRAID 5.x, and some others will likely be built into unRAID 5.x itself.

The concept of BubbaRaid is a collection of multiple enhancements in one package.... but each one individually could have also be done individually by anyone.  All that BubbaRaid does is 1) pull them together in one package, and 2) hide the complexity of installing and configuring them.  That second prong was the most important (and difficult), since many things in BubbaRaid required kernel changes as well as changes to the initramfs.  UnRAID 5.x will address the second prong itself, the only question is to what degree it does so. 

Indeed, BubbaRaid may become irrelevant -- if the add-in architecture developed by Tom in 5.x is as good as I anticipate it to be, I expect many other developers will quickly public addins for each of the individual elements of BubbaRaid (torrents, sound, newsgroups, e-mail notify, UPS, Slimserver, media portals, etc.) so that anyone can essentially add everything that is in BubbaRaid to their system individually, and do so with just a couple of clicks in a web interface.  That will also allow people to pick and chose better, and only add the things they want, rather than the BubbaRaid paradigm of install everything , and then just don't start the parts you don't use.  That is wasteful of space.

We shall see soon.....

Sorry about suggesting the PM method...

Anyway, I am also looking forward to 5.0 to see what it brings and how easy it will be to add stuff to it.  Your addon has been a godsend for me, especially when I first started using unRAID.  I could probably now manage my way through adding some of this stuff myself but your addon makes it so much easier.

Ok, so back to the original question. I see you're talking about unRaid 5.x. I was asking about unRaid 4.5 Final and BubbaRaid. Will that be supported?

No, I don't think he intends to make a version for 4.5.  Tom had mentioned that he intends to put out a beta of 5.0 sometime around Christmas so we might see something after that.  If 5.0 is what everyone is hoping for then BubbaRAID will become "obsolete" as you will be able to install rtorrent, Slimserver, etc individually and easily, instead of needing them all packaged together in one place like BubbaRAID does.

Ok, so back to the original question. I see you're talking about unRaid 5.x. I was asking about unRaid 4.5 Final and BubbaRaid. Will that be supported?

If you spent any time reading this thread, you will see BubbaQ has said multiple times he does not intend to support ANY newer releases of unRAID with Bubbaraid until 5.0 is out, and at that time he'll evaluate what/if it is needed.

If you spent any time reading this thread, you will see BubbaQ has said multiple times he does not intend to support ANY newer releases of unRAID with Bubbaraid until 5.0 is out, and at that time he'll evaluate what/if it is needed.

Sorry, but there's 62 pages. I read the first 5 pages and I didn't see it in there and then the last 4 pages and I didn't see it in there.

Sorry, but there's 62 pages. I read the first 5 pages and I didn't see it in there and then the last 4 pages and I didn't see it in there.

I guess I should have said, if you spent "a lot of time reading this entire thread" 

Please accept my apologies.    Did not realize it had grown that big.

I guess I should have said, if you spent "a lot of time reading this entire thread" 

Please accept my apologies.     Did not realize it had grown that big.

No worries. I apologize if I came across the wrong way. I wasn't able to figure out the search combo for what I wanted and I got tired of scrolling through pages  ;D

• 1 month later...

Alright Bubba... where are you? lol

I see unraid 4.5.1 is stable now, any chance of getting a bubba-raid version of this?

thanks,

Munky

He has already said multiple times that he does not plan nor will he release a version of BubbaRAID for the 4.5 series.  He is waiting for 5.0 before he builds and/or releases anything new.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I have been using BubbaRaid for a while now with Unraid 4.4.2 for a while, however I'm getting an itch to upgrade to the latest Unraid. Also it seems Unmenu now provides the functionality easily enough that I needed from BubbaRaid (UPS support, auto emails, etc).

I searched, but I just wanted to confirm, the process to uninstall BubbaRaid to get Unraid back to "normal" and then upgrade it and install Unmenu. I see I can run the Uninstall_Bubba.bat file (or whatever it is called) but is there anything else I need to do before upgrading to 4.5? Also I just wanted to confirm that in case something does go wrong, I should be able to just copy all the files currently on the Flash drive onto another machine and copy it back if something gets fubar'd?

Thanks!!