ProFTPD Plugin for unRAID v6.8.x

SlrG

1 minute ago, Kewjoe said:

I did a fresh install on 6.7.0-RC4 and got the exact same error as @Cessquill. I have a stock proftpd.conf. All i did was install and try to run.

That's handy (I hope).  I sent @SlrG my conf file, which was slightly modified but not crazy - and it doesn't look like anything in it would prevent it from starting.  Could be another plugin/setting I've got - my machine's not a mess, but it's been upgraded since v4.7, so you never know.

10 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

That's handy (I hope).  I sent @SlrG my conf file, which was slightly modified but not crazy - and it doesn't look like anything in it would prevent it from starting.  Could be another plugin/setting I've got - my machine's not a mess, but it's been upgraded since v4.7, so you never know.

@SlrG I uninstalled all plugins (except this one of course), disabled dockers/vm's and rebooted. Same error. This is a relatively untouched install of unraid. It's on my backup server and I haven't done anything too crazy with it. It is not heavily modified in anyway. Let me know what else I can test/provide to help.

Edited by Kewjoe

I recompiled proftpd on RC4. It works for me, but the old version did, too. Can someone with the problem on RC4 please copy this file to the plugins directory on the flash and change two lines in the ProFTPd.plg file to:

<!ENTITY dependencyFILE64	"&name;-&author;-Dependency-1.6_x64.tar.gz">
	<!ENTITY dependencyMD564	"ee50a2610214cc18053fc08dcb37381a">

Afterwards please report if it works.

Edited by SlrG
6 hours ago, SlrG said:

I recompiled proftpd on RC4. It works for me, but the old version did, too. Can someone with the problem on RC4 please copy this file to the plugins directory on the flash and change two lines in the ProFTPd.plg file to:

<!ENTITY dependencyFILE64	"&name;-&author;-Dependency-1.6_x64.tar.gz">
	<!ENTITY dependencyMD564	"ee50a2610214cc18053fc08dcb37381a">

Afterwards please report if it works.

I did this and still won't start. I haven't tried rebooting yet, Waiting on rclone to finish.

On 12/17/2015 at 5:00 PM, SlrG said:

As a start, you could try to set the umask to 000 in the proftpd.conf file. This should fix the permission problems. It will not change the user problem however. ProFTPd per default uses the username who is logging in as owner for the uploaded files. This makes sense, when users should not be able to "destroy"  the files of other users, but it complicates things in an unraid world. In theory, there are the UserOwner and GroupOwner directives to force usage of a specific owner for uploaded files. Sadly in my tests they didn't work correctly. I'll have to investigate a bit more.

I am running into this quite a lot lately. Did you ever look into this more? I am working with a couple other freelancers and we are all using my FTP to access files. When one of them uploads files to the server and I then go to manage said files, I get permission issues. I have to login to login to the tower terminal and run chown and chmod commands so that I can manage the files. I just change the umask to 000, so I'll be interested to see how that fairs. It would be great if somehow the ownership could default to nobody like unRaids defaults.

Edited by kricker

@kricker

Sadly I found no proftpd solution to this problem. It is possible however to run a cron job, that sets the ownership and permissions of new files from time to time. Or, probably better, setup an inotifywait to do this when new files are created. Either in the go file or in the mountscript.sh of the proftpd plugin.

inotifywait -m /mnt/cache/FTP -e create -e moved_to |
    while read path action file; do
        logger "FTP upload of '$file' detected in directory '$path' via '$action'. Changing ownership and permissions."
        chown nobody:users "$path$file"
        chmod 666 "$path$file"
    done

Just change the directory and permissions to suit your needs.

Edited by SlrG
On 2/23/2019 at 12:59 AM, SlrG said:

Well without a reboot the old version will probably still be used. Please try it and report once he the rclone process is finished. :) Thank you very much for testing.

I tried this and after the reboot. the plugin wasn't installed any more. I'm on rc5 and still doesn't work out of the box.

@H2O_King89

You downloaded the file I linked to the plugins folder on your UNRAID usb drive and changed the hash in the ProFPTd.plg file and the plugin doesn't even install anymore? Any errors in the log?

I would really like to know, what is different on my machine. I can switch around between the versions 6.6.7 stable and 6.7.0-rc5 and it works fine. 😕

[mention=70654]H2O_King89[/mention]

You downloaded the file I linked to the plugins folder on your UNRAID usb drive and changed the hash in the ProFPTd.plg file and the plugin doesn't even install anymore? Any errors in the log?

I would really like to know, what is different on my machine. I can switch around between the versions 6.6.7 stable and 6.7.0-rc5 and it works fine. 

I did add the file and change change the hash. When I did the reboot the plugin wasn’t installed any more.

This started on my intel system, I just switch to AMD Threadripper.
What kind of info can I post to help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On RC5 ftp will not start

Removed plugin (reboot) and reinstalled (reboot) and can not get it to start

Rolled back to 6.6.7 and FTP starts without issues

Upgrade back to RC5 and the FTP will not start

I tried the file listed above (ProFTPd-SlrG-Dependency-1.6_x64.tar.gz) and edited ProFTPd.plg and the plugin does not even appear on the server upon reboot

unRaid is not spitting out any errors

the only thing the unRAID log file shows is

Mar 10 01:24:05 unRAID emhttpd: req (3): cmd=%2Fplugins%2FProFTPd%2Fscripts%2Frc.ProFTPd&arg1=buttonstart&runCmd=Start&csrf_token=****************
Mar 10 01:24:05 unRAID emhttpd: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ProFTPd/scripts/rc.ProFTPd buttonstart
Mar 10 01:24:08 unRAID sudo: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/local/SlrG-Common/usr/local/sbin/proftpd -c /etc/proftpd.conf

Says ok when starting jails

Says ok when starting ProftpD

Screen refreshes and status: stopped

So its trying to start it, but not other info of what is going on is being shown as far as I can see

For what its worth my mount script does run, so we know it gets that far at least

Edited by JaY_III
  • Like 1

Thank you all for this tests and reports. I'm in the process of repurposing one of my licenses for development. It will take some time to merge my two servers into one and free one of the licenses. With a stock installation I hope then to be able to replicate and solve the problem.

• Like 1
On 3/10/2019 at 1:24 AM, SlrG said:

Thank you all for this tests and reports. I'm in the process of repurposing one of my licenses for development. It will take some time to merge my two servers into one and free one of the licenses. With a stock installation I hope then to be able to replicate and solve the problem.

awesome thank you!

Hi

I followed the instructions, adjusted the configs, generated the key and created users with the correct description. But nothing happens when I press Start in the Proftpd Gui and now I also have an error in my unRAID log, which doesn't go away when I uninstall the plugin :(

nginx: 2019/03/15 14:05:45 [error] 11217#11217: *1789648 connect() to unix:/var/tmp/sftp.sock failed 
(111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream, client: 192.178.5.67, server: , request: "GET /dockerterminal/sftp/ws HTTP/1.1", upstream: 
"http://unix:/var/tmp/sftp.sock:/ws", host: "192.178.5.11"

@Abigel

Which unRAID version are you on? The plugin is at the moment not compatible with the newest RCs. Please stay on 6.6.7 if you want to use the plugin.

Also after uninstalling, removing all your changes to config files not related to the plugin and rebooting, there should be no traces of the plugin and no error left on your system.

Your description of what you did, to enable the plugin is rather vague, so I can't guess what went wrong.

You should always try to get the plugin working in its stock settings and pure ftp first, before trying to setup sftp or other more secure transportation protocols.

Another try on a fixed compile for RC5. Who wants to try it, please copy this file to the proftpd plugins directory on the flash and change two lines in the ProFTPd.plg file to:

<!ENTITY dependencyFILE64	"&name;-&author;-Dependency-1.7_x64.tar.gz">
	<!ENTITY dependencyMD564	"0f72b8f09879a1b3445f0565c5d85bb2">

Afterwards please report if it works. I'll then upload a fixed interims version of the plugin and start working on a rewrite. Probably dropping the v5 compatibility in the process.

16 hours ago, SlrG said:

Another try on a fixed compile for RC5. Who wants to try it, please copy this file to the proftpd plugins directory on the flash and change two lines in the ProFTPd.plg file to:

<!ENTITY dependencyFILE64	"&name;-&author;-Dependency-1.7_x64.tar.gz">
	<!ENTITY dependencyMD564	"0f72b8f09879a1b3445f0565c5d85bb2">

Afterwards please report if it works. I'll then upload a fixed interims version of the plugin and start working on a rewrite. Probably dropping the v5 compatibility in the process.

i've tried this trice. every time i reboot the plugin is not installed

could you try a beta plugin?

Edited by H2O_King89
On 3/15/2019 at 11:07 PM, SlrG said:

@Abigel

Which unRAID version are you on? The plugin is at the moment not compatible with the newest RCs. Please stay on 6.6.7 if you want to use the plugin.

Also after uninstalling, removing all your changes to config files not related to the plugin and rebooting, there should be no traces of the plugin and no error left on your system.

Your description of what you did, to enable the plugin is rather vague, so I can't guess what went wrong.

You should always try to get the plugin working in its stock settings and pure ftp first, before trying to setup sftp or other more secure transportation protocols.

The newest Version 6.6.7

Okay i will wait till it works officially