ProFTPD Plugin for unRAID v6.8.x

SlrG

We have a problem with the update of the plugin you did yesterday.

If you were still using the non beta plugin that does not work with 6.7.0,  the update to the 23 May 2019 build will not work.

The beta version works great however.

Updating the beta to the 23 May 2019 Build works.  

I have noticed this:

When updating the beta ProFTPd-SlrG-Dependency-1.7_x64.tar.gz rolls down to ProFTPd-SlrG-Dependency-1.5_x64.tar.gz

From my working state, uninstalling the plugin then installing the from here:

https://github.com/SlrG/unRAID/raw/master/Plugins/ProFTPd.plg.

Will not work

The only way I can get the 23 May 2019 build to work is from 1st installing Beta

http://sdevel.de/ProFTPd.plg
Then update the plugin
However the plugin will not survive a reboot and no longer works
Rolling back the update to beta plugin does not work until the system is rebooted
We are then back to using ProFTPd-SlrG-Dependency-1.7_x64.tar.gz
And all is well again

At this time I am required to stay on the 2018.02.05.1 beta build to keep the FTP running.

Edited by JaY_III

I have just updated to 6.7 and the latest proFTPd and am wondering about secure ftp configuration.  Does anyone have this working? 

Up until now, only local access was required, there was no need to provide internet access, but now I might need to forward port 21 on my router and I am worried that this isn't secure with the default settings.

I have just updated to 6.7 and the latest proFTPd and am wondering about secure ftp configuration.  Does anyone have this working? 

Up until now, only local access was required, there was no need to provide internet access, but now I might need to forward port 21 on my router and I am worried that this isn't secure with the default settings.

Wondering the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It has been discussed before here and people have private lives and do not check this thread every hour around the clock. :) Please be patient if you post something for an answer to be given or try to read the thread or other sources as your answer may already be there.

You can check the following posts:

Using tls might give you problems when connecting internally (from inside you home network) with FileZilla and TLS while externally is fine and if you are using FireFTP it might work internally but not externally. Other clients might have the same problems.

If you prefer to setup SFTP instead please read here:

Please be aware, that there has been a problem with keyfiles generated on unRAID like described. It always kept asking for a password when connecting and then failed. I don't know if this was fixed by a newer unRAID release. The solution was to generate the keyfiles on another linux system or VM and not in unRAID itself.

Also there was an user who reported crashes of proftpd when using sftp, but I was not able to replicate this on my system.

Disclaimer:

Normally I don't recommend to connect the unRAID server to the internet directly. It is better to use a VPN to have encrypted access to your home network when on the road. Then it does not matter, that the FTP connection is unencrypted itself.

If you want other persons to connect, you probably don't want to give them full access to your network by VPN and will need to use one of the above ways to let them connect. This is not recommended and not supported, however!

18 hours ago, SlrG said:

It has been discussed before here and people have private lives and do not check this thread every hour around the clock. :) Please be patient if you post something for an answer to be given or try to read the thread or other sources as your answer may already be there.

Thanks for the tips.  I wasn't expecting help from the expert, but only if others had tips.  It seems that most have continued to use it as you recommended.  I will use a VPN to get access securely for now.  If the need escalates, I will revisit, thanks.

Hello guys, heard alot of good things about this plugin. Having a little trouble installing this don't seem to know why

plugin: installing: https://github.com/SlrG/unRAID/raw/master/Plugins/ProFTPd.plg
plugin: downloading https://github.com/SlrG/unRAID/raw/master/Plugins/ProFTPd.plg
plugin: downloading: https://github.com/SlrG/unRAID/raw/master/Plugins/ProFTPd.plg ... done
Cleaning up previous install files...
Executing selfremoval commands if present...
...Cleanup complete!
Downloading any missing plugin files...
Latest plugin control files downloading
...Unable to download missing plugin control files. Aborting install
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 1

i'm getting this in return, any ideas?

It seems the download of the plugin control files fails from github. Please download them manually from here into /boot/config/plugins/ProFTPd. Manually create the directory if it does not exist. If the dependency download fails too, download the file manually from here. Afterwards the plugin should install I think. If not, please report again.

@fluisterben

As you can see in the default proftpd.conf I'm not additionally limiting the max users in any way. So if they are, this is a ProFTPd default setting baked into the server itself and not changeable by me. It is probably a security precaution to only allow one login per user. If you want to change it, you can use the

MaxClientsPerUser number|none

directive.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, fluisterben said:

Another thing, I have set /mnt/cache/somefolderforftp as an ftpuser's homeroot, but this dir is disappearing after unraid moves it to the array, it seems, and then ftp fails, because the user's home folder is gone.

Something I've missed? How do I make the dir persistent on cache ?

Set it up as a share in Unraid, and set that share to cache only (or equivalent - I'm not in front of it).

15 minutes ago, fluisterben said:

Another thing, I have set /mnt/cache/somefolderforftp as an ftpuser's homeroot, but this dir is disappearing after unraid moves it to the array, it seems, and then ftp fails, because the user's home folder is gone.

Something I've missed? How do I make the dir persistent on cache ?

The problem will be that you have explicitly named /mnt/cache in the ftp settings, but the Use Cache setting for the share is set to “Yes” which tells Mover to move it to the array when it runs.    If you do not want Mover to touch it set it to Use Cache=Only (or Prefer if you want Mover to move files back from the array to the cache).    An alternative would be to set up ftp to use /mnt/user instead of /mnt/cache as that would find files regardless of whether they were on the cache or array.

I'm not really understanding why you would want to permanently use cache? The main reason I picked cache here is because it is able to write faster and doesn't need to wake up and spin up all drives of the array when something is uploaded via ftp.

So yes, I want it to be moved to the array (and stay there), I only want ProFTPd to use cache when files get uploaded.

How does one achieve that?

I'm not entirely understanding how unraid uses the phrase "share" here. What gets shared between what?

Never mind, I think I get it now. unraid uses cache for the writes either way, so I set the homeroot for this ftpuser to be under /mnt/user and under Shares set the dir to use cache [Yes]. Thanks itimpi.

Edited by fluisterben
44 minutes ago, fluisterben said:

I'm not really understanding why you would want to permanently use cache? The main reason I picked cache here is because it is able to write faster and doesn't need to wake up and spin up all drives of the array when something is uploaded via ftp.

So yes, I want it to be moved to the array (and stay there), I only want ProFTPd to use cache when files get uploaded.

How does one achieve that?

I'm not entirely understanding how unraid uses the phrase "share" here. What gets shared between what?

Never mind, I think I get it now. unraid uses cache for the writes either way, so I set the homeroot for this ftpuser to be under /mnt/user and under Shares set the dir to use cache [Yes]. Thanks itimpi.

That is sensible if you are happy for the files to end up on the main array. And thus protected against drive failure.    Some people prefer that they never go to the array to avoid spinning up array drives unnecessarily and thus use different settings.  It is a personal preference so there is no ‘right’ answer - it all depends on the behavior you want to achieve.

• 2 weeks later...

hello fellow unraiders

i am having a little issue beeing not as smart as i would like to be

i am editing the config file

i am trying to setup a rule in proftpd so that users cannot delete anything and can only upload to one folder

as it is now the user lands on /share and in that share are alot folders folder 1, folder 2 etc

and i would like to have only lets folder 3 to be writable and the rest read only

p.s. i did find a rule to ban deletion of files and for some reason that stopped working

please let me know if i need to clarify something

also i have been through this : http://www.proftpd.org/docs/howto/Directory.html

and http://proftpd.org/docs/howto/FTP.html

iam just not smart enough to cobble together a functioning command or rule to achive what i want

this is the command i wrote wich for some reason worked but doesnt anymore

<Directory /mnt/user/share>
 <Limit DELE>
  DenyALL
 </Limit>

edit:

sorry if something like is here i just didnt see it

Edited by zonik

that does seem to be what i want except i have no idea where that mountscript.sh is or is supposed to be, now i just need to figure that out

found the script its in /mnt/flash/config/plugins/proftpd

Edited by zonik
On 7/3/2019 at 8:02 PM, zonik said:

that does seem to be what i want except i have no idea where that mountscript.sh is or is supposed to be, now i just need to figure that out

found the script its in /mnt/flash/config/plugins/proftpd 

mountscript.sh is stored in the plugin directory on your flash drive.

Might be a little easier for you do this with notepad++ in windows than with nano or vi over SSH

You can enabled sharing of your flash drive by login into unRAID

-> Main

->Boot Device

->Flash

->SMB Security Settings

Setup the security appropriately for your needs.

You can then access it in windows

\\unraid-name-or-ip\flash\config\plugins\ProFTPd

well this is the gift that keeps on giving,

i used krusader to copy the mountscript to a share so i can access it from my pc and i used notepad++ to edit it, edited the rules for it and now it start the plugin but its unresponsive cant access the server via ftp even on a local network

@zonik

I will need the system logfile syslog then. Please upload it to a cloud storage and send me a private message with the link. Make sure it is not after a fresh start of your server, but after trying to login via ftp. Which client do you use to connect? What error message does it give when trying to connect?

Edited by SlrG
typo