ProFTPD Plugin for unRAID v6.8.x

SlrG

I'm from germany, so I have a share of files with those characters myself. Access to those files works fine for me, even with FileZilla. But you are correct proftpd isn't compiled with mod_lang. I'll try to include it in the next release.

@DasMarx: Please try the new version. The module mod_lang is now included for the unRAID v6.1 version. For v5 I was not yet able to compile a new version.

@Cessquill: Please try the new version, I moved the mountscript and unmountscript back to the plugins folder on the stick, so it should be persistent again.

@all:

As I was able to get the apache plugin working again the config editor possibility will remain for now.

Also there is still an error message regarding proftpd.delay, but I was not able to find out why this appears and how to fix it. As it seems to have no negative effect, I'll leave it at that for now.

@SlrG the update failed and i could not use the newer version.

By failed update, i only mean the proftpd files themself and not the plugin as a whole.

I had to save my configuration, uninstal the plugin and reinstall it again but now UTF-8 is announced in the FEAT request:

Befehl: FEAT

Antwort: 211-Features:

Antwort: TVFS

Antwort: MFMT

Antwort: SIZE

Antwort: MFF modify;UNIX.group;UNIX.mode;

Antwort: REST STREAM

Antwort: MLST modify*;perm*;size*;type*;unique*;UNIX.group*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner*;

Antwort: UTF8

Antwort: LANG en-US*

Antwort: EPRT

Antwort: EPSV

Antwort: HOST

Antwort: MDTM

Antwort: 211 End

Thanks for your help so far.

Additional information for anyone interested what i set inside my proftdp.conf:

LangDefault de_DE

UseEncoding on

LangEngine on

@DasMarx:

Do you still have the syslog from the failed plugin update? It would be nice if you could post it for me to check. You set LangDefault de_DE but it shows en-US in the FEAT. Seems still a bit wrong to me. What do you get when you enter "locale -a" over telnet on your server?

Also are you sure the order of the commands doesn't matter? I would put LangEngine on first, myself.

@SlrG

locale -a

C

POSIX

en_US.utf8

Will change that, but it still does work, nevertheless.

Regarding the order, im not sure, but could test if it does make a difference.

Ive added the syslog but do not see the actual message that was present in the update there.

The update was started at Dec  9 07:28:30, but the proftdp was still on version "ProFTPD 1.3.5".

At Dec  9 08:03:21, i reinstalled the plugin and the version went to ProFTPD 1.3.6rc1

syslog.txt

@Cessquill: Please try the new version, I moved the mountscript and unmountscript back to the plugins folder on the stick, so it should be persistent again.

Thanks for that - I've edited the mountscript and unmount script in the flash/config/plugins/ProFTPd folder and have rebooted my system.

However, I'm not seeing any new folders in my FTP location.  Essentially in my mountscript I've got...

mkdir /mnt/cache/FTP/Movies;mount --bind /mnt/user0/Movies /mnt/cache/FTP/Movies

When I reboot and look in my FTP share, I've just got a test file.  I'm assuming that it should have a Movies folder in it, yes?

All I've done is edited the mountscript.sh file in Wordpad.  Any ideas?

The #!/bin/bash line is missing? Also editing the files in wordpad has probably broken the files. Linux uses different line endings than windows programs. You need a linux compliant editor to edit the files. Either use Notepad++ or PSPad or use a linux command line editor like nano or vi. I tested on my system just now and using Wordpad breaks the files for me, too.

The #!/bin/bash line is missing? Also editing the files in wordpad has probably broken the files. Linux uses different line endings than windows programs. You need a linux compliant editor to edit the files. Either use Notepad++ or PSPad or use a linux command line editor like nano or vi. I tested on my system just now and using Wordpad breaks the files for me, too.

Thanks for that - stupid me didn't think of the text editor.  I have used vi before (but found it quite daunting).  I've installing Notepadd++ and re-edited the script - I'm not rebooting.  The bash line is there, as is all the other REMarked out lines.  I'll I've done is duplicate the example and give "Movies" a capital "M".  It's rebooting now.  If that doesn't work, I'll remove and reinstall the plugin to make sure I've got the original files.

Thanks for that :)

Hi - this might be a bit of a noob question, but since switching over to this from the stock FTP I've found that I've had to run unRAID's New Permissions tool across any drives with files that I've uploaded to my server before I can move/delete them.

That is, I can rip something at work, connect to my server via FTP and upload it.  When I get home and tidy it from a Windows box I get an access denied error saying that I need permission from Unix User\nobody.  Running the New Permissions rectifies this.

Is there something else I should be doing, or is this normal?  It's the same user account that I was using to log into stock FTP, but I appreciate that this may not make any difference.

As a start, you could try to set the umask to 000 in the proftpd.conf file. This should fix the permission problems. It will not change the user problem however. ProFTPd per default uses the username who is logging in as owner for the uploaded files. This makes sense, when users should not be able to "destroy"  the files of other users, but it complicates things in an unraid world. In theory, there are the UserOwner and GroupOwner directives to force usage of a specific owner for uploaded files. Sadly in my tests they didn't work correctly. I'll have to investigate a bit more.

Hi SirG.  Great plugin!  Love it.

Been testing a bit on a test server and am attempting to limit users to read only access.  I have the access locked down to the directories i want, but user still has full access to that directory.

I added below to /flash/config/plugins/ProFTPd/proftpd.conf and restarted ProFTPd but am still able to add directories and delete files.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong??  Thanks in advance.

# Limit write access to a directory and subdirs

<Directory /mnt/user/media/Movies/>

<Limit WRITE>

DenyAll

</Limit>

</Directory>

# Limit write access to a directory and subdirs

<Directory /mnt/user/media/TVShows/>

<Limit WRITE>

DenyAll

</Limit>

</Directory>

*EDIT-

I think i may have messed up the config file.  I noticed on the plugin page that it was running, but throwing an error on detected version.  I removed, reinstalled, and added the appropriate config to the file and now it appears i have the read access i wanted.  Thanks!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone having issues un-mounting the array when using the mountscript?

I have to console in and "umount /mnt/cache/all/dirs/I/mapped/"

So for this as an example:

mkdir /mnt/cache/FTP/Media;mount --bind /mnt/user/testshare /mnt/cache/FTP/Media

i need to do this

umount /mnt/cache/FTP/Media

If i dont manually umount everything that i have in mountscript.sh unRAID endlessly tries with no success to stop and unmount the array.

unRAID 6.1.9

Anyone having issues un-mounting the array when using the mountscript?

I have to console in and "umount /mnt/cache/all/dirs/I/mapped/"

So for this as an example:

mkdir /mnt/cache/FTP/Media;mount --bind /mnt/user/testshare /mnt/cache/FTP/Media

i need to do this

umount /mnt/cache/FTP/Media

If i dont manually umount everything that i have in mountscript.sh unRAID endlessly tries with no success to stop and unmount the array.

unRAID 6.1.9

makes sense because you're mounting onto the cache drive, which means that the cache drive won't be able to unmount (and you can't stop the array) because its busy / in use as long as that mount exists.

mount it instead into /tmp and you won't have the problem

makes sense because you're mounting onto the cache drive, which means that the cache drive won't be able to unmount (and you can't stop the array) because its busy / in use as long as that mount exists.

mount it instead into /tmp and you won't have the problem

:High Five

I used /mnt/cache as that was the example in the file, along with what someone else was doing on the top of this page.

Simple fix, thank you.

edit: my very bad grammar

There is not only an "mountscript.sh" which is called when the array starts, but also an "unmountscript.sh" which is called, before the array stops. For each line in the mountscript, you need the corresponding correct line in the unmountscript. So if you put your manually executed command in the unmountscript, it should work even when using an array or the cache drive as mount target. :)

There is not only an "mountscript.sh" which is called when the array starts, but also an "unmountscript.sh" which is called, before the array stops. For each line in the mountscript, you need the corresponding correct line in the unmountscript. So if you put your manually executed command in the unmountscript, it should work even when using an array or the cache drive as mount target. :)

So their is, not sure how I missed that.

However I appear to be 100% good to go without using the unmount script when using the temp dir.

Thanks for the awesome plugin

• 2 months later...

Hi and thank you for writing this plugin.

I just tried setting it up, but unfortunately I always get an error "No Internet Connection Detected" in the information panel of the plugin.

unRAID definitely  has access to the internet. Did I miss something somewhere?

Thanks

Edit:

To clarify things: I'm not trying to expose ProFTPD to the internet. My Problem is, that I can't start the service. Sorry for not being clear enough.

Thanks.

The plugin tries to connect to www.google.com to check the internet connection. Please enter

ping www.google.com

in the unraid shell and see if this gives any errors. It might be your system has problems

resolving the dns entry and thus fails to connect.