VirtualBox Plugin for unRAID v5 and v6

theone

if they are put directly in /opt it uses ram - .opt on my cache drive is currently 17g with newznab+ and ajaxplorer etc -

should have a option on where to install it - install dir and data dir if that is supported - like the sabnzbd, couchpotato etc plugins do

example of one BIG one is Dropbox, database dir is in /mnt/cache.dropbox and actual files are /mnt/user/Dropbox

lampp is setup to use /opt on a hard drive - /opt on unraid will be on the ramdrive - hence the symlink to let it find itself on my cache drive as all the config files are setup that way, apache, mysql, php, proftpd and all their support utils....

Myk

Excelent work!!

This plugin increase quality level of unraid.update system, buttons layout, etc... Great. I have no issues at all.

Maybe more user friendly for veginners about a complete install with optional webserver and phpvirtualbox but really excellent work.

I second this..!  ;)

Plugin installed without an issue.. :) Thumbs up for creating the plugin..!

...but being an absolute Linux & Webserver noob would love a 'walk me thru' on the next steps to actually installing a VM..!  :D

best regards, fergal

I second this..!  ;)

...but being an absolute Linux & Webserver noob would love a 'walk me thru' on the next steps to actually installing a VM..!  :D

best regards, fergal

Once you have the webserver and phpVirtualBox installed (see http://vbox.a1aina.com/install.php) you can find many tutorials on youtube of how to setup a new VM.

is there a way not not have this install in /opt?

Myk

this is something that lainie should answer as *s*he is compiling the package.

The VirtualBox installer (the VirtualBox<version>.run file that comes from the VirtualBox Download page) extracts binary files to "/opt/VirtualBox" directory, creates an udev rule, compiles and insert the kernel modules and creates a lot of links. If you need further customization (like a specific other location), you will probably need to compile your own; here is a link to the guide on how to compile VirtualBox for unRAID.

If you can present a good reason why everyone (using this package/plugin) would want VirtualBox installed elsewhere & provide instructions, I can look into incorporating it into future versions.

drwxrwxrwx 6 root root 32768 2013-01-24 17:32 ../
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21381 2013-02-04 18:42 xpti.dat*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  1237 2013-02-04 18:42 compreg.dat*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  1818 2013-02-05 19:25 VBoxSVC.log.10*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  1818 2013-02-05 20:43 VBoxSVC.log.9*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  2189 2013-02-05 20:44 VBoxSVC.log.8*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  2584 2013-02-06 17:47 VBoxSVC.log.7*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  2039 2013-02-06 20:05 VBoxSVC.log.6*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  1818 2013-02-06 20:05 VBoxSVC.log.5*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  1818 2013-02-06 20:08 VBoxSVC.log.4*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  2190 2013-02-06 20:11 VBoxSVC.log.3*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  2584 2013-02-09 13:19 VBoxSVC.log.2*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  1817 2013-02-09 13:19 VBoxSVC.log.1*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  2431 2013-02-09 15:30 VirtualBox.xml-prev*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  2518 2013-02-09 15:31 VirtualBox.xml*
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 32768 2013-02-09 15:31 ./
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  4587 2013-02-09 20:31 VBoxSVC.log*

I can maybe add a parameter to the plugin configuration that you could change /boot/custom/vbox location and it will change the symlink from existing to anything the user wants and even move existing files to the new location.

I just need to understand when this location is used so I change it after every install in time.

is there a way not not have this install in /opt?

Myk

this is something that lainie should answer as *s*he is compiling the package.

The VirtualBox installer (the VirtualBox<version>.run file that comes from the VirtualBox Download page) extracts binary files to "/opt/VirtualBox" directory, creates an udev rule, compiles and insert the kernel modules and creates a lot of links. If you need further customization (like a specific other location), you will probably need to compile your own; here is a link to the guide on how to compile VirtualBox for unRAID.

If you can present a good reason why everyone (using this package/plugin) would want VirtualBox installed elsewhere & provide instructions, I can look into incorporating it into future versions.

the reason why /opt is not a good location for unRAID is because /opt will sit on the ram drive - there is only so much space used when it is created - /opt is and has always been a physical disk location on a normal linux distro

hence the same thing with me using lampp - its designed to be ran from a physical drive not a ram drive - my lampp install w/newznab is 17G and growing - it wont fit on a ram drive - the reason why is symlink to my cache drive.

Am am not saying it cant be run from there - but it does not like the permission when the VB extension get installed - VB itself installs just fine...

everything should be owned by nobody.users - VB is being owned by root and complains that my /mnt/cache is not owned by root when trying to install the extension

Myk

guess there is no hope in this plugin for me - will either have to run my VB on a windows machine or put together another linux machine.

Its a shame, as this looks like a good plugin....

Myk

It is not the plugin but the package.

Can you change the ownership of just the opt folder on your cache drive /mnt/cache to root:root ?

And then try again?

i figured out another way ...

instead of symlinking /opt i am now symlinking /opt/lampp to my cache drive.

so now your plugin can create what it needs in /opt and is happy.

now if I can just get phpvirtualbox up and running - i get a error message with a loading box on top of it and cant see what its hollering about

Myk

i figured out another way ...

instead of symlinking /opt i am now symlinking /opt/lampp to my cache drive.

so now your plugin can create what it needs in /opt and is happy.

Congratulations

now if I can just get phpvirtualbox up and running - i get a error message with a loading box on top of it and cant see what its hollering about

Myk

What exactly did you do to install phpVirtualBox?

extracted it into my webserver docs area - edited the config.php and put it my root login/pass and double checked the port

I will try and take a screen shot

Myk

do you really need the authentication?

If not disable authentication:

var $noAuth = true;

dont have that in my config.php?  do I just add it?

Myk

I second this..!  ;)

best regards, fergal

Once you have the webserver and phpVirtualBox installed (see http://vbox.a1aina.com/install.php) you can find many tutorials on youtube of how to setup a new VM.

Got it working, nice one..! Thanks..!