VirtualBox Plugin for unRAID v5 and v6

theone

Great looking plug-in Thanks for all your work. I have been following thread for a while. Hope I didn't miss the answer to this problem. I am running  unRAID Server Pro 5.0-rc11, simpleFeatures.web.server-1.0.11, VirtualBox Plugin v0.5.2 and have downloaded vbox-4.2.8-unRAID-3.4.26.tgz again to make sure I have a good copy. This is what I get via putty:

root@Tower1:~# /etc/rc.d/rc.virtualbox install

rc.virtualbox[12083]: Installing Virtualbox package (v4.2.8

unlink: cannot unlink `/root/.VirtualBox': No such file or directory

+==============================================================================

| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/virtualbox/vbox-4.2.8-unRAID-3.4.26.tgz

+==============================================================================

Verifying package vbox-4.2.8-unRAID-3.4.26.tgz.

Installing package vbox-4.2.8-unRAID-3.4.26.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

Executing install script for vbox-4.2.8-unRAID-3.4.26.tgz.

insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/3.4.26-unRAID/misc/vboxdrv.ko': -1 Invalid module format

insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/3.4.26-unRAID/misc/vboxnetadp.ko': -1 Invalid module format

insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/3.4.26-unRAID/misc/vboxnetflt.ko': -1 Invalid module format

Package vbox-4.2.8-unRAID-3.4.26.tgz installed.

rc.virtualbox[12381]: Symbolically linked /boot/custom/vbox to /root/.VirtualBox

rc.virtualbox[12384]: Installing Virtualbox Extension package (v4.2.8

WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module

available for the current kernel (3.4.26-unRAID) or it failed to

load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%

Successfully installed "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack".

root@Tower1:~#

Thanks, Reed

EDIT: Have checked and verified checksum of vbox-4.2.8-unRAID-3.4.26.tgz

more tests  :D

I delete VB packages in flash. Plugin download again and voila..... installed fine and works¡¡

According to your logs and what you described it seems that the packages (vbox and extension) were not installed properly probably due to a bad download of the packages.

If the download is done from the plugin WEBUI it is important not to interrupt it by refreshing the WEBUI - that kills the download and gives a partially downloaded package.

You might considering start using a md5 check for the files that is DL , so we know that the file are correct, see other plugin, see below of a example.

<FILE Name="/boot/packages/infozip-6.0-i486-1.txz" Run="upgradepkg --install-new">
<URL>http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-13.37/slackware/a/infozip-6.0-i486-1.txz</URL>
<MD5>4d59c199192a5fc4dc55089edcb66723</MD5>

//Peter

rd_blair, Do you have a modified kernel? I have started seeing some people report that they have a modified kernel instead of just the stock unRAID kernel... & since I am compiling these VirtualBox packages with the stock kernel, it does not seem to work with custom kernels.

Another thing to check is see if the "vbox-4.2.8-unRAID-3.4.26.tgz" file that downloaded has the same md5 sum as "128fc84ad12ea33b5d7eaaaa723dca53".

This is a very nice plugin to maximize the server and install another OS to run the jdownloader.

I managed to install everything and updating my RC from 8a to 11 with SF 1.0.5 since I heard a lot of bad things about SF 1.0.11.

However what network type you used? I haven't figure it out yet but can unraid make a bridge network out of this?

Hi theone,

I have an empty slot in my listing of virtual machines. PHPVirtualbox shows only the two existing machines. Do you have an idea, where the extra one comes from? See here for screenshot.

And then whenever I click "Start vboxwebserv" it hangs the webif until I hit esc and return to the plugin page over Settings VirtualBox. There are no problems if I restart the server or use the shell to start the process.

regards,

SlrG

Hi theone,

I have an empty slot in my listing of virtual machines. PHPVirtualbox shows only the two existing machines. Do you have an idea, where the extra one comes from? See here for screenshot.

And then whenever I click "Start vboxwebserv" it hangs the webif until I hit esc and return to the plugin page over Settings VirtualBox. There are no problems if I restart the server or use the shell to start the process.

regards,

SlrG

Please supply the following:

* Output of vboxmanage list vms from unraid command line

* Output of vboxmanage list runningvms from unraid command line

* Full WEBUI screenshot

* Syslog

* /boot/config/plugins/virtualbox/vms_session.cfg

I have the same problem as SlrG; when starting the vboxwebsrv from the unRAID webui, it stalls the webui, and makes it unusable, even when refreshed, it times out completely. The unMenu webui still works fine, below is the syslog from when i was working with this, i started the vboxwebsrv a few times, and killed it via a telnet session in order to get the unRAID webui to respond again. I haven't installed any VMs yet in virtualbox either.

Mar 19 16:41:28 ShadowOfIntent kernel: md: recovery thread woken up ...

Mar 19 16:41:28 ShadowOfIntent kernel: md: recovery thread checking parity...

Mar 19 16:41:28 ShadowOfIntent kernel: md: using 1536k window, over a total of 2930266532 blocks.

Mar 19 20:51:28 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[9412]: Plugin configuration written

Mar 19 20:51:39 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[9684]: VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

Mar 19 20:51:39 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[9699]: vboxwebsrv service started

Mar 19 21:05:31 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[10770]: No Virtual Machines running - nothing to save

Mar 19 21:05:31 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[10772]: vboxwebsrv service stopped

Mar 19 21:16:36 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[17150]: Symbolically linked /boot/config/plugins/virtualbox to /root/.VirtualBox

Mar 19 21:16:36 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[17153]: Moved existing files from /boot/custom/vbox (and removed folder) to /boot/config/plugins/virtualbox

Mar 19 21:16:36 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[17154]: Plugin configuration written

Mar 19 21:18:36 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[18417]: Plugin configuration written

Mar 19 21:21:50 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[20385]: VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

Mar 19 21:21:50 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[20400]: vboxwebsrv service started

Mar 19 21:22:23 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[20430]: No Virtual Machines running - nothing to save

Mar 19 21:22:23 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[20432]: vboxwebsrv service stopped

Mar 19 21:30:39 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[25645]: VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

Mar 19 21:30:39 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[25660]: vboxwebsrv service started

Mar 19 21:38:52 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[26328]: No Virtual Machines running - nothing to save

Mar 19 21:38:52 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[26330]: vboxwebsrv service stopped

Mar 19 21:38:59 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[26619]: VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

Mar 19 21:38:59 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[26634]: vboxwebsrv service started

Mar 19 21:38:59 ShadowOfIntent rc.virtualbox[26715]: No Virtual Machines in previous session (list is empty)

webui_screen.png.dd486fcc7c51f06e722e0c2ceb37b90e.png

I had problems with SF, until I ran: installpkg /boot/packages/openssl-1.0.1c-i486-3.txz

It's because the openssl library got overwritten by an older version by another plugin, I think...

After that, I changed all offending plugins to point to the 1.0.1 version, and there are no more problems.

Hi theone,

I installed the plugin (0.5.2), and the download/install of the vbox components went very smoothly, however I haven't been able to access the phpvirtualbox web service. In the configuration, I changed the vboxwebsrv Host IP to the LAN IP of the unraid box, but left the port unchanged. I also have SimpleFeatures installed (v1.0.5), and I've verified the MD5 hash of the vbox .tgz file - it's correct.

When I access http://<unraid_ip>/phpvirtualbox:18080, I just get a link broken error. Telnetting to that same IP/port will open a connection so something's listening, just not responding. (Note: as well, starting/restarting vboxwebsrv will never return from the page reload and has to be forced, but stopping returns properly after a few moments).

My UI screenshot is attached.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

UNRAID_VBOXPLG_UI.png.478ade220fdf2a46d0848b56b96a1056.png

I enabled the web service (Settings > Web Server > Enable), and fixed the URL I was using (stupid mistake). I now get a SOAP error.

The web service root is set to the /tmp/web folder and there's just an index.html file in there. Do I have to create a symlink to the phpvirtualbox folder?

Thanks.

I enabled the web service (Settings > Web Server > Enable), and fixed the URL I was using (stupid mistake). I now get a SOAP error.

The web service root is set to the /tmp/web folder and there's just an index.html file in there. Do I have to create a symlink to the phpvirtualbox folder?

Thanks.

Change it to the phpvirtualbox folder.

I've tried changing it to each of:

/boot/custom/vbox

/opt/VirtualBox

/bin/vboxwebsrv

and attempted to access using the URL "http://<unraid_ip>:18083/phpvirtualbox" - same SOAP error each time (potentially relevant bit):

<SOAP-ENV:Fault SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">

<faultcode>SOAP-ENV:Client</faultcode>

<faultstring>HTTP GET method not implemented</faultstring>

</SOAP-ENV:Fault>

Screenshot of where I'm changing the value is attached.

I must not have the right path - can you please let me know which one is right?

Thanks.

UNRAID_VBOXPLG_WEBSET.png.d504ca581ae7d230143d0414fc343545.png

I've tried changing it to each of:

/boot/custom/vbox

/opt/VirtualBox

/bin/vboxwebsrv

and attempted to access using the URL "http://<unraid_ip>:18083/phpvirtualbox" - same SOAP error each time (potentially relevant bit):

<SOAP-ENV:Fault SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">

<faultcode>SOAP-ENV:Client</faultcode>

<faultstring>HTTP GET method not implemented</faultstring>

</SOAP-ENV:Fault>

Screenshot of where I'm changing the value is attached.

I must not have the right path - can you please let me know which one is right?

Thanks.

Where did you extract the phpvirtualbox package to?

Ok, so it turns out I missed that critical step :). I missed the part in your first post when you said "(it does not install phpVirtualBox)".

After I did that, the phpVirtualBox console app came up right away (though on the WebServer port (81), not the vboxwebsrv port (18083)).

I found most of the install steps from here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10978.315, but it has superfluous steps you've eliminated with your plugin, so I'm putting the steps I got to work here for anyone who stumbles on this:

Starting state: UnRAID v5.0rc11, SimpleFeatures 1.0.5, VirtualBox PlugIn 0.5.2

1) Downloaded the phpVirtualBox package from here: http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/downloads/list. I used the phpvirtualbox-4.2-4.zip file as it indicated it was compatible with 4.2.x, which is the most current point release.

2) Unzipped to new directory /boot/tmp (able to copy over the network easily), then moved the entire contents of that folder to /tmp/web (default SimpleFeatures WebServer folder).

3) Renamed config.php-example to config.php. Also changed $username and $password variables, as well as $location variable to point to the LAN IP of the box.

4) Accessed the UI using "http://<UNRAID LAN IP>:81" and logged in.

Looks like everything's working now.

Really like the plugin - I've already used it to update to v4.2.10 and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks!

Ok, so it turns out I missed that critical step :). I missed the part in your first post when you said "(it does not install phpVirtualBox)".

After I did that, the phpVirtualBox console app came up right away (though on the WebServer port (81), not the vboxwebsrv port (18083)).

I found most of the install steps from here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10978.315, but it has superfluous steps you've eliminated with your plugin, so I'm putting the steps I got to work here for anyone who stumbles on this:

Starting state: UnRAID v5.0rc11, SimpleFeatures 1.0.5, VirtualBox PlugIn 0.5.2

1) Downloaded the phpVirtualBox package from here: http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/downloads/list. I used the phpvirtualbox-4.2-4.zip file as it indicated it was compatible with 4.2.x, which is the most current point release.

2) Unzipped to new directory /boot/tmp (able to copy over the network easily), then moved the entire contents of that folder to /tmp/web (default SimpleFeatures WebServer folder).

3) Renamed config.php-example to config.php. Also changed $username and $password variables, as well as $location variable to point to the LAN IP of the box.

4) Accessed the UI using "http://<UNRAID LAN IP>:81" and logged in.

Looks like everything's working now.

Really like the plugin - I've already used it to update to v4.2.10 and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks!

It should come up in the port configured in WebServer - so 81 is OK (I use 1234).

Change the default WebServer location to /boot/tmp (where you extracted  phpvirtualbox), otherwise you will need to copy it over to /tmp/web after each unRAID boot.

Nice to hear that you like the plugin :)