VirtualBox Plugin for unRAID v5 and v6

theone

I have an issue where a blank VM is showing up in the settings page (see attachment). I think what happened was I manually deleted the VM folder from its disk location, not using phpvirtualbox. The VM doesn't show up in phpvirtualbox, however. I'm sure it's something simple like deleting a setting or config file somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it...

Capture.PNG.8b9df62de160d5792e0e3fd54c13a30a.PNG

I have an issue where a blank VM is showing up in the settings page (see attachment). I think what happened was I manually deleted the VM folder from its disk location, not using phpvirtualbox. The VM doesn't show up in phpvirtualbox, however. I'm sure it's something simple like deleting a setting or config file somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it...

Please post the output of:

VBoxManage list vms

Please post the output of:

VBoxManage list vms

Here it is:

root@Saidin:~# VBoxManage list vms
"<inaccessible>" {7640ff16-f7ea-46a1-900e-527a2bd11992}
"SaidinW7VM" {e7894331-f286-4fe4-b803-f41e060d01f1}

Hi All

I installed the TVHeadend plugin and then noticed that in the Virtualbox plugin page that it says

Package Online Version               Local Version Installed Version

VirtualBox No online package       No local package Not Installed

VirtualBox Extension v4.2.16       No local package Not Installed

VirtualBox Guest Additions v4.2.16  No local package

VirtualBox Plugin v0.5.2       v0.5.2

Does anyone know why my Virtualbox plugin would say there is no online package? There is also no way to start webserv on the plugin page.

The Kernel version seems to have changed as well to v3.0.33 I am sure it was something like 3.9.X.X

I uninstalled TVheadend same issue, uninstalled virtualbox plugin and reinstall same issue. Anyone had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Lee

Hi All

I installed the TVHeadend plugin and then noticed that in the Virtualbox plugin page that it says

Package Online Version               Local Version Installed Version

VirtualBox No online package       No local package Not Installed

VirtualBox Extension v4.2.16       No local package Not Installed

VirtualBox Guest Additions v4.2.16  No local package

VirtualBox Plugin v0.5.2       v0.5.2

Does anyone know why my Virtualbox plugin would say there is no online package? There is also no way to start webserv on the plugin page.

The Kernel version seems to have changed as well to v3.0.33 I am sure it was something like 3.9.X.X

I uninstalled TVheadend same issue, uninstalled virtualbox plugin and reinstall same issue. Anyone had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Lee

If I am not mistaken TVHEADEND has a dedicated kernel - It is not just a plugin.

Theone's plugin for Virtualbox is using packages that I compile for unRAID. Since you are running TVHeadend, you are using a non-standard kernel of unRAID... which means I don't have a compiled package that will work for you.

This does not mean you cannot use VirtualBox & TVHeadend... it just means you will need to compile your own package. Here is the wiki page with detailed instructions on how to compile your own VirtualBox package.

• 3 weeks later...

GregF,

Have you set up a webserver (not part of this plugin - there exist other plugins for this)? have you installed phpvirtualbox (also not part of this plugin - no need for plugin just extract to your webserver location)?

once you have you should access your unRAID server address (not 127.0.0.1) and path of your webserver.

See here:

http://vbox.a1aina.com/install.php "Setup a web server" and "Download phpvirtualbox" although the download location has changed to http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpvirtualbox/

Hi folks - were any of you able to install the vbox extension pack for 4.2.16?

When I try to install it - be it via the plugin (thanks!!) or via a manual install of the packages - the "vboxmanage extpack install" hangs forever and does not complete. When it does, I see the process VBoxSVC eating 100% CPU and not completing.

unRAID 5 rc16c.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (I also posted about it here).

Hi folks - were any of you able to install the vbox extension pack for 4.2.16?

When I try to install it - be it via the plugin (thanks!!) or via a manual install of the packages - the "vboxmanage extpack install" hangs forever and does not complete. When it does, I see the process VBoxSVC eating 100% CPU and not completing.

unRAID 5 rc16c.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (I also posted about it here).

I have it installed OK on RC16c.

Maybe you should try and download the package again - delete it and redownload.

I have it installed OK on RC16c.

Maybe you should try and download the package again - delete it and redownload.

Thanks for your response.

Following your advice, I just did just that. Redownload this file. Then installpkg (I'm trying to isolate the problem from the plugin, but I get the very same with the plugin) and then "vboxmanage extpack install...". Same result: vboxmanage hangs, never returns; "top" shows VBoxSVC eating up as much CPU as it possibly can.

What do I do now?!

**UPDATE**

Problem resolved. Ugh. The vbox package was okay, but the extpack itself was somehow corrupt. Refreshed it, installed plugin, exrpack installed fine.

Sorry for the "noise".

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm back with my newbie's questions...

I have to install virtualbox and virtualbox extension after each reboot. How can I install them permanently ?

What the "VirtualBox Guest Additions v4.2.16" is used for ?

And, how many RAM does virtualbox need to run correctly ?

Thanks for your answers.

Hello,

I'm back with my newbie's questions...

I have to install virtualbox and virtualbox extension after each reboot. How can I install them permanently ?

What the "VirtualBox Guest Additions v4.2.16" is used for ?

And, how many RAM does virtualbox need to run correctly ?

Thanks for your answers.

To install after each reboot all you need to do is enable it in the plugin setting page.

The amount of RAM depends on how much memory you have allocated to each VM.

Here they are :

1. virtualbox CFG

# VirtualBox plugin configuration

INSTALL_ON_BOOT="true"

UPGRADE_ON_BOOT="true"

UPGRADE_PLG_ON_BOOT="false"

START_ON_ARRAY_MOUNT="true"

START_VMS_ON_START="previous"

VBOX_SYMLINK_LOCATION="/mnt/cache/appdata/vbox"

VBOXWEBSRV_HOST_IP="192.168.0.1"

VBOXWEBSRV_HOST_PORT="18083"

VBOXWEBSRV_LOGFILE="/mnt/cache/appdata/virtualbox/vboxwebsrv.log"

VBOXWEBSRV_VERBOSE="true"

VBOXWEBSRV_LOGROTATE="0"

VBOXWEBSRV_LOGSIZE="50000"

VBOXWEBSRV_LOGINTERVAL="604800"

2. vms_session CFG

"Windows XP" {de4f8781-fb86-4adb-9e08-e462f02cbaf8}

3. VBoxSVC.log

VirtualBox XPCOM Server 4.2.6 r82870 linux.x86 (Dec 19 2012 15:42:02) release log

00:00:00.000908 main    Log opened 2013-08-15T21:42:16.791359000Z

00:00:00.000912 main    OS Product: Linux

00:00:00.000915 main    OS Release: 3.4.26-unRAID

00:00:00.000918 main    OS Version: #2 SMP Mon Jan 28 17:00:22 PST 2013

00:00:00.000950 main    Host RAM: 3535MB total, 2282MB available

00:00:00.000956 main    Executable: /opt/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC

00:00:00.000957 main    Process ID: 11813

00:00:00.000959 main    Package type: LINUX_32BITS_GENERIC

00:00:00.130300 nspr-2  Loading settings file "/root/.VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml" with version "1.12-linux"

00:00:00.325683 nspr-2  Successfully initialised host USB using sysfs

00:00:00.332161 nspr-2  VDInit finished

00:00:00.334306 nspr-2  rtldrNativeLoad: dlopen('libasound.so.2', RTLD_NOW | RTLD_LOCAL) failed: libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

00:00:00.334709 nspr-2  ERROR [COM]: aRC=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) aIID={22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858} aComponent={Machine} aText={Runtime error opening '/root/VirtualBox VMs/Windows XP/Windows XP.vbox' for reading: -102 (File not found.).

00:00:00.334720 nspr-2  /home/vbox/tinderbox/4.2-lnx32-rel/src/VBox/Main/src-server/MachineImpl.cpp[724] (nsresult Machine::registeredInit())}, preserve=false

00:00:02.023056 nspr-2  ERROR [COM]: aRC=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) aIID={22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858} aComponent={Machine} aText={Runtime error opening '/root/VirtualBox VMs/Windows XP/Windows XP.vbox' for reading: -102 (File not found.).

00:00:02.023068 nspr-2  /home/vbox/tinderbox/4.2-lnx32-rel/src/VBox/Main/src-server/MachineImpl.cpp[724] (nsresult Machine::registeredInit())}, preserve=false

00:00:02.085274 nspr-2  ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_ACCESSDENIED (0x80070005) aIID={22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858} aComponent={Machine} aText={The object functionality is limited}, preserve=false

00:00:07.195804 Watcher  ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_ACCESSDENIED (0x80070005) aIID={3b2f08eb-b810-4715-bee0-bb06b9880ad2} aComponent={VirtualBox} aText={The object is not ready}, preserve=false

There is a change. I put the virtualbox & vbox extension packages in my "extra" folder. Now virtualbox is automatically installed, but not the vbox extension.

Now I can acces to virtualbox with phpvirtualbox. But i lost the virtual machine (windowsxp) I created before my last reboot.

Thanks for your help, and your patience.

Just my 0.02 worth here :)

I recently started using this (marvelous) plugin, great work!

I am running the simplefeatures web server plugin for my NEWZNAB server.

I wanted to add "virtual hosts" to this so I could run the php front end to virtual box.

I decided to run my newznab host on port 85 and my phpvbox on port 84. For those who are curious, here's what you add to the lighthttp.cfg in /boot/config/plugins/simplefeatures/  :

This code sets up the "host" for NEWZNAB, as well as the particular URL re-writing rules that the code requires. Originally this was a global configuration, and I couldn't figure out why my PHPVBOX wasn't working! It was because the URL-rewriting was effing things up :)

# User customizations
# Add your own settings here. These won't get overwritten upon reboot
#
$SERVER["socket"] == ":85" {
url.rewrite-once = (
        "^/.*\.(css|jpg|jpeg|gif|png|js|ico)" => "$0",
        "^/(admin|install).*$" => "$0",
        "^/([^/\.]+)/?(?:\?(.*))$" => "index.php?page=$1&$2",
        "^/([^/\.]+)/?$" => "index.php?page=$1",
        "^/([^/\.]+)/([^/]+)/?(?:\?(.*))$" => "index.php?page=$1&id=$2&$3",
        "^/([^/\.]+)/([^/]+)/?$" => "index.php?page=$1&id=$2",
        "^/([^/\.]+)/([^/]+)/([^/]+)/?$" => "index.php?page=$1&id=$2&subpage=$3"
)
}

This code sets up the "host" for PHPVBOX

$SERVER["socket"] == ":84" {
  server.document-root = "/mnt/extra/phpvbox/"
}

This is just an example of how to have yet another "host" running on a different port. This way you can house different sites.

$SERVER["socket"] == ":83" {
  server.document-root = "/mnt/extra/sandbox/"
}

It might not be perfect, but it's working for me :)

First up - awesome plugin and binaries - thanks to all!

I've got everything working a treat (virtualbox supporting a Windows Home Server 2011 with 3.5G memory and a 250G virtual disk - primarily so I can have iTunes streaming to apple TV boxen and a webmail server (SmarterMail)), and it's working a treat except that the mouse pointer in the virtual console seems to be obnly loosely coupled to the "real" location of the pointer. Has anyone else senn this and/or seen a fix or anything?. It's useable with a lot of mouse fiddling (and as it's a server it's not like I have to go anywhere near it most days) but life would be soooo much easier if the pointer(s) matched :)

*bashes head against nearest brick wall*

I have now and it's all good! Apologies for the stupid question.

And now for another....

Is there an obvious way to start a VM at boot time? I've told the virtualbox interface in the unRAID web interface (not phpVirtualBox) to do so, but the console just gives a message saying "nothing in list" when I boot the physical.

The reason I'd like to get it working is because the virtual's providing local domain DNS, a mail server and (most importantly  ;) ) an iTunes instance so apple HomeShare works :)

*bashes head against nearest brick wall*

I have now and it's all good! Apologies for the stupid question.

And now for another....

Is there an obvious way to start a VM at boot time? I've told the virtualbox interface in the unRAID web interface (not phpVirtualBox) to do so, but the console just gives a message saying "nothing in list" when I boot the physical.

The reason I'd like to get it working is because the virtual's providing local domain DNS, a mail server and (most importantly  ;) ) an iTunes instance so apple HomeShare works :)

My plugin supports automatic starting of VMs upon plugin installation/startup.

Post your CFG files located in the plugin folder and a screenshot on the plugin UI.