VirtualBox Plugin for unRAID v5 and v6

theone

Did you install a webserver?

Did you install phpvirtualbox?

They are not part of virtualbox and the plugin but are needed for a UI

It looks like the instructions I followed were not complete.  I didn't know about having to install anything else to make this work.  Can you kindly point me in the direction of the instructions you followed to set this up and location of other downloads?

As you can easily see, I'm brand new to VM world.

ah...ok.  Please help me connect the dots here.  Do complete instructions exist to fully setup and configure this plugin and VM's?  I'm new to this, so if this will require a ton of time, I may have to pass on this for now.  I was looking for a quick win so I could run a win7 vm on my unraid server, where I would host plex and other stuff.

ah...ok.  Please help me connect the dots here.  Do complete instructions exist to fully setup and configure this plugin and VM's?  I'm new to this, so if this will require a ton of time, I may have to pass on this for now.  I was looking for a quick win so I could run a win7 vm on my unraid server, where I would host plex and other stuff.

The plugin is really easy to setup but to setup VMs you will need to go the virtualbox.org here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Documentation.  For help with windows vms specifically you can go to the VirtualBox forums here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=9b9805868e234241739e0b4d791c041d.  I've never used phpvirtualbox but a place to start might be the wiki for it here: http://sourceforge.net/p/phpvirtualbox/wiki/Home/

FWIW, you can't run phpvirtualbox in unRAID 6.x even with a web server working, because the php install is incomplete (no extensions, such as SOAP)

I created an apache plugin for unraid 6 a while back that copies the missing php extensions.  I was playing around with the virtualbox plugin without xen today using phpvirtualbox 4.3.1.  4.2.8 won't work. I didn't have time to run a vm fully.  I created a couple and started/stopped them but didn't have time to test.  I finally got around to making a thread for the plugin. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33692.0#

• 3 weeks later...

I'm encountering issues changing the Configuration in the web GUI after install on unraid v6. All configs get reset to blank values after clicking 'save'.

In addition when running the command "/etc/rc.d/rc.virtualbox boot" I encounter the following text:

rc.virtualbox[8609]: VirtualBox plugin update during array mount is disabled

VirtualBox plugin update during array mount is disabled

rc.virtualbox[8610]: VirtualBox packages update during array mount is disabled

VirtualBox packages update during array mount is disabled

rc.virtualbox[8611]: Installing VirtualBox packages during array mount ...

Installing VirtualBox packages during array mount ...

rc.virtualbox[8639]: VirtualBox package kernel v does not match unRAID kernel v3.15.0 - no plugin installed

VirtualBox package kernel v does not match unRAID kernel v3.15.0 - no plugin installed

I presume there is some issue with how the plugin is viewing the unraid kernel? Any ideas what's causing this and how I can mitigate it?

I had similar problems with the webgui. I think I edited them manually or deleted virtualbox.cfg and reinstalled the plg. There is a new kernel for 6b6. So you'll have to wait  for a new compile I believe.  You could try 6b5. Also you can't start with xen.

I had similar problems with the webgui. I think I edited them manually or deleted virtualbox.cfg and reinstalled the plg. There is a new kernel for 6b6. So you'll have to wait  for a new compile I believe.  You could try 6b5. Also you can't start with xen.

I had been having this issue with 6b5 as well, but thanks for the heads up. Good to know it's not just me! I believe I am starting with Xen; that may be my problem. I'll look into it, thanks!

I'm encountering issues changing the Configuration in the web GUI after install on unraid v6. All configs get reset to blank values after clicking 'save'.

I can confirm the same behaviour on a fresh install of 6b6, I got around it by editing the configuration file directly and not touching the "Save below configuration" button. The only addons I'm running are the apcupsd plugin, the apache webserver plugin, and the unmenu ssmtp email stuff. I haven't tried it without the other plugins, so I don't know if one of them is causing the problem.

I got some time to play with this more, and I now have the plugin installed, of course that part is easy.  I downloaded phpvirtualbox version 4.2-8 from here (haven't installed this yet, as I was not able to find instructions) http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpvirtualbox/

I'm running Dynamix so next I was going to install the webserver from the Dynamix tab.  Looks like the current version is 2.1.0.  I'm assuming this webserver will get the job done.

Assuming I get the webserver installed next, how should I install phpvirtualbox?  Should I just drop it in my /boot/packages/ directory and add the install line to my GO file?

Once I get the above steps done, I'll then look for pre-setup vm for Win7.

Ok, so my plugin wasn't setup all the way.  For the plugin, what should the IP address be?  I tried going to 127.0.0.1:18083  didn't work.  Changed the IP to my server address, still didn't work.

For the phpvirtualbox zip file, I unzipped here - which means it's in a sub folder in the web server directory - is that correct?

cache/mnt/appdata/web/phpvirtualbox-4.3-1/

vbox.settings.JPG.62e194365435a0fa4fcd82c6060048c0.JPG

Ok, put it back to 127.... still doesn't work.

so I guess I got the phpvirtualbox unzipped correctly - meaning it shoudl be in a sub folder and not at the root of my web folder - right?

for webserver, port 85.  It looks like I stil have a issue with webserver, which is most likely why I can't get to vbox.

on my console says I'm missing the php.ini file and I can't get to the webserver on any port.  I've posted in that thread, asking for help.  I'm sure I need to resolve the webserver issues before doing anything else.

By the way, thank you very much for the work you've done and for the killer support - I really appreciate your help.

Cheers

How does the "Part of session" list get updated? I have several machines that I control using phpvirtualbox, but they don't ever appear in the session list, only the "running" list. Do you have to start the vm from your plugin to have it become "part of session"?

A list of all running VMs is saved to vms_session.cfg when:

• Any VM is started
  • Any VM is SAVESTATEd
  • When VirtualBox is stopped via the WEBUI

How does the "Part of session" list get updated? I have several machines that I control using phpvirtualbox, but they don't ever appear in the session list, only the "running" list. Do you have to start the vm from your plugin to have it become "part of session"?

A list of all running VMs is saved to vms_session.cfg when:

• Any VM is started
  • Any VM is SAVESTATEd
  • When VirtualBox is stopped via the WEBUI

So if I start and stop VM's using phpvirtualbox, the sessionlist is never updated? I ran into an issue yesterday where I tried to stop the array so I could reboot, and I intentionally left some VM's running to see how the plugin would handle it. The VM's that were on the sessionlist savestated automatically, but a VM that I started from phpvirtualbox was still running, and kept the array from stopping. I manually saved it from the command line, and the array finished stopping.

So if I start and stop VM's using phpvirtualbox, the sessionlist is never updated? I ran into an issue yesterday where I tried to stop the array so I could reboot, and I intentionally left some VM's running to see how the plugin would handle it. The VM's that were on the sessionlist savestated automatically, but a VM that I started from phpvirtualbox was still running, and kept the array from stopping. I manually saved it from the command line, and the array finished stopping.

Please post a screenshot of the WEBUI when you have virtualbox running and some VMs are shown as in session and others aren't but are running.