[SOLVED] Red Dot on drive6

:o So I've been running my server for a couple of years now and not had a problem. This morning I was copying a file over and it gave me an error code, lo and behold, I have a red dot next to my disk. I'm assuming at this point I need to replace the drive but wanted to be sure. I've gone through the basic troubleshooting of making sure all the connections and such are working. I've got a copy of my syslog, a short SMART test and a long SMART test.

I tried looking over everything myself but I'm not too familiar with what constitutes a failure based on the test data.

Any thoughts?

syslog.txt

short_smart.txt

long_smart.txt

Well the drive does have one uncorrectable error but that really is not to bad yet, issue is that this can be one of two things:

1) random error, disk is stable, no problem to continue using it;

2) first error of a disk that is on the landslide towards total failure..

I would advise:

- Start using a new disk to replace this one (if you have one precleared and ready use that);

- Start a thorough preclear on your current drive to see if more error will appear.

If you want to take the gamble and presume the disk will be ok then you can also:

- stop array

- stop system

- remove drive

- start array

The array can now be started with the removed disk beiing simulated by parity.

Now stop array again, re-attach drive, restart array and have parity restore on the old drive.

The drive will make sure that the failed sector will not be used and if no more errors appear you will be fine. Should more errors appear then you would need to take the first route.

In any case I would invest in a new drive and make sure it is precleared and ready for circumstances just like this, makes life a lot easier.

Well the drive does have one uncorrectable error but that really is not to bad yet, issue is that this can be one of two things:

1) random error, disk is stable, no problem to continue using it;

2) first error of a disk that is on the landslide towards total failure..

I would advise:

- Start using a new disk to replace this one (if you have one precleared and ready use that);

- Start a thorough preclear on your current drive to see if more error will appear.

If you want to take the gamble and presume the disk will be ok then you can also:

- stop array

- stop system

- remove drive

- start array

The array can now be started with the removed disk beiing simulated by parity.

Now stop array again, re-attach drive, restart array and have parity restore on the old drive.

The drive will make sure that the failed sector will not be used and if no more errors appear you will be fine. Should more errors appear then you would need to take the first route.

In any case I would invest in a new drive and make sure it is precleared and ready for circumstances just like this, makes life a lot easier.

There is no need to detach the drive and restart the server. Just start the array with the disk unassigned and then start the array with the disk assigned.

Archived