Cannot Get an IP address

I have a test tower, that was running, and had an IP address.  I now do not have an IP address. 

The tower is a Dell Dimension 8250

To boot to the URAID flash drive I use a CD with "Plop Boot Manager" on it which works great. (the bios for this tower does not seem to support USB booting)

I do not have PLOP installed to any part of any drive (it is on a CD, so I have my bios to boot to a CD then when PLOP comes up I tell it to boot to the USB)  (Eventually I would like to see if I can install PLOP to a drive outside the array so this process is more automated)

Please keep in mind, I had 5.0-rc8 working on this machine.

Just so you have the whole story: I have a separate test tower for installing other linux distros.  This other machine can not boot to USB either, so one day I grabbed the plop cd from the dell and used it in the other test system.  The next day I (by accident )grabbed the wrong cd (the one with the a linux distro on it) and put it in the dell tower.  On the next reboot ( I was upgrading from rc8 to rc11), the distro started installing on to the test unraid system.  (I am not concerned about the system or the data, but do want to continue to use this system as a test system).  (so PLOP is great, but it does mean your system is at risk if you do something stupid like I did... all the better reason to get plop to a hard drive outside the unraid array, and disable booting from a cd)

I did a backup of the flash when going from rc8 to rc11 just before this happened.  Once I realized what happened I stopped the install, pulled the cd and put the proper cd in (PLOP).

UNRAID did boot, but I had no access to the system through //tower/ or the IP address

I did a

ifconfg

and there was no IP address

I thought that maybe the UNRAID files were corrupt, so I restored to the backup, but still no IP address

I tried 4.7 and not IP address

I tried disabling the on board ethernet, and installing a ide card linksys lne100tx version 4.1, and no IP address

I did a fresh install to a different usb drive rc8 and no IP address

I disconnected all the clobbered hard drives and booted ... no IP address

I connected 1 fresh hard drive (no others connected) no ..... IP address

I tested and tried two different cables

I tested and tried two different wall outlets (Ethernet outlets)

I am attaching the syslog from my 4.7 (built in ethernet) attempt and my rc8 attempt (I also tried rc11 but did not get a syslog), also attaching 4.7 with ide card.

I did notice that ETH0 is showing in the 4.7 syslog but not in the rc8 syslog.... not sure what that means.

Also noticed that when using the on board ethernet, I am getting an "EEPROM Corrupted"  (not getting this when using an IDE card with the on board disabled)

I did notice that when I was powerdown the server, I saw "mount can't find / in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab" on the screen (not sure if that is part of the problem or a separate problem)

Thanks for any help with this.

Albin

syslog-4-7.txt

syslog-rc8.txt

syslog-4-7-ide-card.txt

Both 4.7 logs do not detect the link. It's as if there's no Ethernet cable connected to the eth0 port. rc8 is getting an error when try to configure the interface. Use rc11.

If the board has multiple Ethernet ports, the port designated Eth0 may change when going between version 4.7 and version 5.

What does ifconfig and "ethtool eth0" show?

Both 4.7 logs do not detect the link. It's as if there's no Ethernet cable connected to the eth0 port. rc8 is getting an error when try to configure the interface. Use rc11.

If the board has multiple Ethernet ports, the port designated Eth0 may change when going between version 4.7 and version 5.

What does ifconfig and "ethtool eth0" show?

Thanks for the tips....

With the Onboard eth0 port (no ide card)

or

With the IDE Card and the Onboard port off

I got the same results

ifconfig

Results:

Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1

RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:560 (560.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (560.0 B)

ethtool -S

cannot get driver information no such device

ethtool -t

cannot get driver information no such device

Tried rebooting which seemed to help Pucker, but that did not help:

Turns out the router needed to be rebooted. Thanks to all those who looked into this.

Pulled and reset all the RAM (did not help)

Pulled the Cmos battery (did not help)

Not sure what else to do?

Albin