• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Im having the same issue. 

Mine is set to "/mnt/cache-nvme/swap/" so I ran the below commands;

- cd /mnt/cache-nvme/swap/
- truncate -s 0 ./swapfile
- chattr +C ./swapfile
- btrfs property set ./swapfile compression none

everything looks fine, and I don't get any errors.

I see "Swap file exists: " but when I click "start" nothing happens and it still shows "Swap file in use: "

@primeval_god thanks for the tip, I tried running the command and got the following output, and the swap is still not enabled. 

swapon: /mnt/cache-nvme/swap/swapfile: insecure permissions 0666, 0600 suggested.
swapon: /mnt/cache-nvme/swap/swapfile: read swap header failed

After some googling I see people using other Linux distorts running “mkswap”, but they are all referring to a swap partition. I’m not sure if that’s the correct fix for unraid. 

On 5/1/2021 at 9:57 PM, relink said:

@primeval_god thanks for the tip, I tried running the command and got the following output, and the swap is still not enabled. 

swapon: /mnt/cache-nvme/swap/swapfile: insecure permissions 0666, 0600 suggested.
swapon: /mnt/cache-nvme/swap/swapfile: read swap header failed

After some googling I see people using other Linux distorts running “mkswap”, but they are all referring to a swap partition. I’m not sure if that’s the correct fix for unraid. 

No you definitely need to run mkswap on the file before using it. I didnt notice that the steps you had posted skipped that. Your missing steps are (note 1G for a 1GB swapfile).

fallocate -l 1G /mnt/cache-nvme/swap/swapfile

chmod 600 /mnt/cache-nvme/swap/swapfile

mkswap /mnt/cache-nvme/swap/swapfile

swapon /mnt/cache-nvme/swap/swapfile

Edited by primeval_god
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, primeval_god said:

No you definitely need to run mkswap on the file before using it.

Thank you for laying that out for me, I had no idea those steps were required to make this plugin work. But it is definitely working now.

oom errors are rare, but it's nice to have a safety net now. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 11.04.40 AM.png

• 2 months later...
On 5/3/2021 at 4:28 PM, primeval_god said:

They are not meant to be required, I believe that this plugin just hasn't been updated to account for swap file support in BTRFS.

Last I checked which was 2-3 months ago I noticed the same, no support for swap file on BTRFS. As a workaround I've made a User Script to perform the commands from Archlinux wiki (some conditionally) during Array startup.

Edited by artafinde