looking at new hardware comment would be welcome

Mooney

Going to build my first unRaid server, or server full stop. Picked my hardware but comment would be welcome.

Gigabyte Mainboard GA-EP45-DS3L, LGA775 P45+ICH10, FSB 1600 MHz, DDR2 1200, PCI-E x16 2.0, SATAII, GbN LAN, 7.1-channel, ATX.

Cooler Master Centurion 590 Case

Intel Celeron Processor 440, LGA775Pkg 2.0GHz,512k L2 Cache,800MHz FSB

DDR2-667 Corsair 2GB-Kit [VS2GBKIT667D2 G] Value Select PC-5300 (667MHz), 240-pin DDR2, non-ECC, Unbuffered, 2x128Mx64, not compatible with DDR motherboards

550W "Corsair" VX-550 ATX Power Supply, 120mm fan, PCI-E Graphics Card Connector, 6 SATA Connectors, Universal AC input 90~264V

1000GB 3.5" SATA-II Western Digital WD10EACS Caviar GP Hard Drive, RoHs Green Power 7200rpm 16MB

iCute SATA II HDD Mobile Rack BC/ iCute-iswap(MRA201)

I thought I would start with  two or three 1000GB drives and work up to five or six. Can't see myself going much past that, but then I could be wrong about that :D

Plan to add a parity drive after the third or fourth. Usage will be streaming the odd movie now and again, music and generally just to keep my media library in one place.

Why wait for a parity drive?

Many drives fail within the first 30-60 da

How much are you getting those icute's for?

From what I can see the i-star's trayless are a bit cheaper (but then also made a lil cheaper too).

In a small one or two drive array the cost as a percentage of your total capacity is kind of high using one drive as a parity drive. That equation changes dramatically as the number of drives goes up. But yes I see were your coming from and I have been thinking about it.

For the icutes Here in Australia about AUS $27.00, I have been looking at some of the 5 in 3 hot swap bays, but there very expensive locally

I like the look of this one :

iStarUSA BPU-350-Red 3x5.25" to 5x3.5" SATA2.0 Hot-Swap Backplane Raid Cage

Very reasonable price  at Newegg.com even with the exchange rate the way it is. but can't really warrant the cost when I  don't intend to go past 5 or 6 drives.

Archived