[SOLVED] Flashing LSI 9220-8i Controller (IBM M1015) on a ASROCK 970 Extreme3

I just bought the card second hand and am working on my first unraid build.  I'm following this post : http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg121131#msg121131

I've tried: LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB (Windows).  I installed windows xp on a seperate harddrive attached to my Unraid box and tried to follow the instructions.  However, I keep getting errors when I try to list the adaptors.  I thought getting the driver for the card would help, but LSI 9220 is not listed.  I tried installing the drivers for 9211-8i (which did not work) and 9240 (which does not have drivers for 32bit windows xp).

This is the content of my AdaptersInfo1.txt:

Exit Code: 0x01

Exit Code: 0x01

I also tried to flash the card in another computer with an asus MB (windows xp as well).  And received the same result.  But I wrote this off to the MB being from 2008 :S

I took pictures of the details for my card: http://imgur.com/a/wh7Ji.  Would anyone be able to help with flashing the card? 

I'm willing to buy a copy of windows 7 if that would help.

Thankyou so much for your help!

I didn't get to try your hint BQ.  Didn't see your post.  I was playing around with it as I was having the dreaded "Failed to initialize PAL" error message.  I was about to try flashing on another MB, but decided to search around and found out it works on the UEFI console.

You'll need two items:

1. Download the full UFEI shell from here:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#UEFI_Shell  (used x86_64 1.0) and paste Shell_Full.efi on the root of the USB.  I unfortunately figured this out after going through the whole routine.  Makes things a bit easier.

2. http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS9211-8i.aspx

download firmware > Installer_P15_for_UEFI

Drop the resulting sas2flash.efi into the folder with the sas2flsh.exe.

Now to actually do the deed:

In my MB, if I bring up the boot menu by pressing F11, one of the options is "Built-in EFI Shell".  If you don't have this, I searched and saw there are bootable linux distros what come with EFI shells.  If it will work for flashing the card, I have no idea :(

Booting into this, you'll get a command promt.  Listed above the promt, will be all the devices attached.  In my case, there was fs0 and blk0.

Type

> fs0:

Type "ls" (list).  If "ls" doesn't work, keep pressing tab.  If you see the files in your usb appearing one after another, you're in business.  if not, try some of the other FS.  DON'T FORGET THE COLON :

Keep tabbing until you come to Shell_Full.efi and press enter.  Now you will see the same device info listed once more.  Now ls will work.  cd into the directory with your bat files (which is where you have your sas2flash.efi).

Now to run the commands for step 5 and 6.  Execute the following.

Step 5:

> sas2flash.efi -l Flashlog.txt -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

Step 6:

> sas2flash.efi -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx

Where 500605bxxxxxxxxx is replaced by SAS Address from Adapters.txt

THAT'S IT!  I've been struggling with this since saturday and after BobPhoenix's hint about using the right software, it's fixed in one.  I hope this helps someone stuck in this step.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I was playing around with it as I was having the dreaded "Failed to initialize PAL" error message.

Did you try the Linux flasher, under unRAID/Slackware?

Unfortunately no, I did not.  I was under the impression that unraid won't pick up the card until it was flashed.  So it would work for subsequent upgrades, but to initially flash it, I had to use the low and dirty method.  Would the linux installer have worked under unraid? If so, that would be a much simpler method!

I didn't get to try your hint BQ.  Didn't see your post.  I was playing around with it as I was having the dreaded "Failed to initialize PAL" error message.  I was about to try flashing on another MB, but decided to search around and found out it works on the UEFI console.

You'll need two items:

1. Download the full UFEI shell from here:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#UEFI_Shell  (used x86_64 1.0) and paste Shell_Full.efi on the root of the USB.  I unfortunately figured this out after going through the whole routine.  Makes things a bit easier.

2. http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS9211-8i.aspx

In my MB, if I bring up the boot menu by pressing F11, one of the options is "Built-in EFI Shell".  If you don't have this, I searched and saw there are bootable linux distros what come with EFI shells.  If it will work for flashing the card, I have no idea :(

Booting into this, you'll get a command promt.  Listed above the promt, will be all the devices attached.  In my case, there was fs0 and blk0.

Type

> fs0:

Type "ls" (list).  If "ls" doesn't work, keep pressing tab.  If you see the files in your usb appearing one after another, you're in business.  if not, try some of the other FS.  DON'T FORGET THE COLON :

Keep tabbing until you come to Shell_Full.efi and press enter.  Now you will see the same device info listed once more.  Now ls will work.  cd into the directory with your bat files (which is where you have your sas2flash.efi).

Step 5:

Step 6:

THAT'S IT!  I've been struggling with this since saturday and after BobPhoenix's hint about using the right software, it's fixed in one.  I hope this helps someone stuck in this step.

Cheers

Excellent!  These notes allowed me to flash a M1015 with my X9SCM-F after getting the "Failed to initialize PAL" message.  Thanks to you and others in this forum!  :)

• 1 year later...

You'll need two items:

Type

> fs0:

Step 5:

Step 6:

Cheers

I know this topic hasn't been posted on for a while, but I had to thank you for these instructions. They helped me so much. I have a SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O motherboard and was getting the "Failed to initialize PAL" error message when using sas2flsh.exe. Everything else worked just as you instructed, but after running Step 5, I would get an "ERROR: Cannot Flash IT Firmware over IR Firmware!" message, so I actually had to run "megarec -cleanflash 0" in DOS first. After that, Step 5 and Step 6 worked flawlessly. I'm now in IT mode and running Firmware P19 and BIOS 7.37.

Regarding MegaRec, I am guessing I could have run sas2flsh.exe –o –e [6 or 7] in DOS, which I didn't realize until just now.

• 6 years later...