ASUS M2N-LR

ilovejedd

I was looking for boards with PCI-X slots and found this relatively inexpensive board with 2 of them - the ASUS M2N-LR. Newegg currently has the combo of the above motherboard + AMD Opteron 1216 2.4GHz for $257.98. It even plays nice with regular desktop RAM.

Do you guys see any glaringly obvious reasons why it won't work with unRAID? Incompatible LAN, chipset, etc? Specifications can be found here.

As to the network card, the Broadcom BCM5721.  Both the bcm5700 and tg3 drivers are used for it, but bcm5700 appears to be the recommended one.  Unfortunately, I have not seen any mention of it here yet, so I don't think it is currently included with the unRAID releases, but Tom would probably add it on request.  The tg3 driver is included and used by several users.

The board is based on the nVidia nForce 570 SLI MCP chipset, I have the nVidia nForce 570 SLI chipset (probably the same?).  The only problem I have is that I have to use the noapic boot parameter, with the Linux kernels included in unRAID v4.1, v4.3, and v4.4, but not v4.2!?!

It also lists the use of the Intel® 6702 PXH, which I know nothing about.

I was looking for boards with PCI-X slots and found this

Help my understand the motivation for a board with PCI-X and AMD processor?

(I'm just curious)

SuperMicro PCI-X 8-port SATA controller. :) Couldn't really care less if the board was AMD or Intel (actually, I do care since I would have preferred Intel), but this one's the cheapest I found. :) Bandwidth for PCI-X 133 seems to be equivalent to PCIe x4.

As to the network card, the Broadcom BCM5721.  Both the bcm5700 and tg3 drivers are used for it, but bcm5700 appears to be the recommended one.  Unfortunately, I have not seen any mention of it here yet, so I don't think it is currently included with the unRAID releases, but Tom would probably add it on request.  The tg3 driver is included and used by several users.

The board is based on the nVidia nForce 570 SLI MCP chipset, I have the nVidia nForce 570 SLI chipset (probably the same?).  The only problem I have is that I have to use the noapic boot parameter, with the Linux kernels included in unRAID v4.1, v4.3, and v4.4, but not v4.2!?!

It also lists the use of the Intel® 6702 PXH, which I know nothing about.

Thanks! That was very helpful. Google search turned this up. I'm not really sure if this matters in unRAID or not.

Archived