Smack talk from the creator of Flexraid

joeshmoe1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some incorrections that need to mentioned:

- The day the developer of unRAID is no longer able to support new hardware, you are stuck.

- With NZFS, you can upgrade your hardware as your favorite OS evolves.

How this applies to unRAID? Software RAID is not hardware dependable. I really doubt that if Tom stops the unRAID development, he would keep the code closed. But again, if it happens, we always can migrate to other systems.

The Unraid version that you can purchase today, and which is officially supported, does not support:

-3+TB drives

-64 bit kernel

-SSDs (no trim support)

-Newer SATA/SAS cards

So I'd say he has a big point there.

Some incorrections that need to mentioned:

- The day the developer of unRAID is no longer able to support new hardware, you are stuck.

- With NZFS, you can upgrade your hardware as your favorite OS evolves.

How this applies to unRAID? Software RAID is not hardware dependable. I really doubt that if Tom stops the unRAID development, he would keep the code closed. But again, if it happens, we always can migrate to other systems.

The Unraid version that you can purchase today, and which is officially supported, does not support:

-3+TB drives

-64 bit kernel

-SSDs (no trim support)

-Newer SATA/SAS cards

Very true, the big point being, who can even try the vaporware called NZFS? Got a download link?

Very true, the big point being, who can even try the vaporware called NZFS? Got a download link?

There are (very few) screenshots floating around on other forums from users. I think it's in a very closed beta / test cycle.

But it does seem to exist.

How you get hold of it I don't know - but the people using it are ones who have been using flexraid with big data for a long time so I suspect you don't just 'ask nicely' but have to bring something to the testing table.

-3+TB drives

-64 bit kernel

-SSDs (no trim support)

-Newer SATA/SAS cards

Clearly his product is beta as well, so let's be fair:

3+TB drives... supported for the past two years in beta.

64 bit kernel... under development

SSDs... you can use them now, and trim support will start with the switch to BTRFS

SATA/SAS cards... that's a constant Linux community issue, not a Lime-tech issue

A download link on your homepage does not a production software make. His "big point" is to cause a stir, and try to attract detractors. Anyone can make grand promises and pretty screenshots and take potshots. Not everyone can create, maintain, and upgrade a product for as long as Lime-tech has, with a firm conviction that defies pure profitability.

I have my issues with communication (or lack thereof), slow development, and the like. But I truly appreciate the attention to tracking down any bug that causes data loss.

ZFS is destined to be destroyed, from the inside out, thanks to the Oracle-Sun debacle. It's a shame, because it held such great promise for massive data stores. BTRFS will mature and take over eventually, so I'm thankful that's the direction Lime-tech is going.

• 1 month later...

Well you seem pretty biased and harsh for someone using unRAID just 2 years.

Are you sure you have checked alternatives?

I use unRAID possibly way before you knew it existed.

Very nice product, very limited for my current needs. I still (as always) wish for Tom to keep on doing a good job, not dissappear for loooooooooong time without trace too.

Anyway, no NZFS is not vaporware.

I actually beta-test something that stems directly from NZFS platform functionality.

Here is the AVS Forum thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471295/flexraid-transparent-raid-leaked

Be a bit more open and a bit less harsh about things you obviously have no clue about.

(EDIT: And my sig is VERY old... too bored to edit it)

Be a bit more open and a bit less harsh about things you obviously have no clue about.

Ah... wisdom from the great beyond of former unRAID users. The "I've been using unRAID since before your grandfather was in diapers" is quite a nice touch. And resurrecting an old thread with no life in it = awesome. Way to pick your battles.  ::)

If you read the FlexRAID discussion over at AVSForum you quickly see that it is a VERY immature product.    Talks a great talk ... but walks a very crooked line  :)

And the concept that it's much simpler to run FlexRAID because it runs "on your favorite OS" and doesn't require a custom install like UnRAID SOUNDS like a valid point -- but of course there's no real "custom install" for UnRAID.  What could be simpler than running one program to set up a flash drive; then booting from the flash drive ??

If you read the FlexRAID discussion over at AVSForum you quickly see that it is a VERY immature product.    Talks a great talk ... but walks a very crooked line  :)

And the concept that it's much simpler to run FlexRAID because it runs "on your favorite OS" and doesn't require a custom install like UnRAID SOUNDS like a valid point -- but of course there's no real "custom install" for UnRAID.  What could be simpler than running one program to set up a flash drive; then booting from the flash drive ??

Exactly this... Unraid is irreplaceable for me, honestly should of built it a long time ago.

Well you seem pretty biased and harsh for someone using unRAID just 2 years.

Are you sure you have checked alternatives?

I use unRAID possibly way before you knew it existed.

Very nice product, very limited for my current needs. I still (as always) wish for Tom to keep on doing a good job, not dissappear for loooooooooong time without trace too.

Anyway, no NZFS is not vaporware.

I actually beta-test something that stems directly from NZFS platform functionality.

Here is the AVS Forum thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471295/flexraid-transparent-raid-leaked

(EDIT: And my sig is VERY old... too bored to edit it)

I really don't care if you are using beta unRAID 0.1 code. I moved forward with better solutions.

I have not checked all the alternatives, but I have downloaded and installed FlexRAID for several versions. I even have a vm with it installed (but powered off since I demo'd the problems for a friend investigating which he should use at home).

Why did you even make either of these posts? You post a leak, and it is no leak. And then post here to refute a vaporware claim, with a post with no download.

Still not available for download. You can even PM a link for the software :)