IBM ServeRAID M1015/LSI SAS9220-8i PCI-Express PCIe8-port 6G SAS+SATA FRU46M0861

I've read that, but they do NOT flash to p11 first, and then to p15. They dont even mention it.

In fact, they are using the same link i mentioned before, which uses p15... NOT p11.

Again, why are some flashing to p11 before they flash to p15?

...no need to get exited.

Yes, cross-flashing is a total different procedure than upgrading.

It is also an unsupported procedure (other than that of an upgrade)...it is a hack, so there are risks involved.

P11 is simply an older version ...the procedure in this forum has been developed when P9+P10 was around..finally when P11 came out, archives were updated.

The P15 is newest and as I said, over in the other forum the actual archive is maintained with P15...but when you follow the thread, you will realize that all started earlier with Pxx as well.

Here, in this forum the archive has not been updated so far...so P11 remains in it.

Again, the nature of cross-flashing is a hack...an unintended use of the tools and parts.

Maybe even unwanted by the manufacturer, so we never can be sure that some kind of "countermeasures" get build into the tools in newer versions.

Everyone who builds an archive with tools and files for cross-flashing is putting his cards at risks in order to test/try and get confirmed it works.

The reason why people are ending up with P11 after the first (cross-)flash is simply that they followed/used another

hack procedure than that from others who have maybe found a more up2date procedure with P14 or P15 files in it.

Many people, - and no offense meant - simply trust and follow the procedure blindfolded.

If people on P11 now want to move to P15, they cannot follow the same procedure strictly, because the card has been altered.

Because the hack was successful, they now can follow a standard upgrade procedure.

Thanks. I suspected something like that, no particular reason.

I'll let you guys know my experiences.

No idea what firmware was on my card when I got it. I ordered it from here: http://www.serversupply.com/CONTROLLERS/SAS-SATA/SERVERAID%20M1015/IBM/46M0861.htm

Flashed it using the instructions here: http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

Haven't had any problems. Been using it a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the 1015 today, struggled a bit to get the thing flashed, the megarec.exe wont run on all msdos versions. Took me about 2 hours to find a specific tool (Rufus 1.1.7, not the most recent version...) that could make a bootable usb key with a dos version that could actually run the megarec.exe... damn.

Flashing was a breeze on an ancient Gigabyte mobo i'm using as an unraid testplatform. I can see in the syslog that it's detected:

Mar 14 16:24:36 Tower kernel: mpt2sas0: LSISAS2008: FWVersion(15.00.00.00), ChipRevision(0x03), BiosVersion(00.00.00.00)
Mar 14 16:24:36 Tower kernel: mpt2sas0: Protocol=(Initiator,Target), Capabilities=(TLR,EEDP,Snapshot Buffer,Diag Trace Buffer,Task Set Full,NCQ)
Mar 14 16:24:36 Tower kernel: mpt2sas0: sending port enable !!
Mar 14 16:24:36 Tower kernel: mpt2sas0: host_add: handle(0x0001), sas_addr(0x500605b0033c0a20), phys(
Mar 14 16:24:36 Tower kernel: mpt2sas0: port enable: SUCCESS

So i think it's ok. Havent put it in the 'real' unraid server yet.

Maybe later today.