Didn't Receive Your Registration Key?

Hi

I purchased a 2nd key back to 2015 during promotion and recently i would like to exercise this order

i had sent 3 email with new USB GUID to Lime Tech. How far no response

Can anyone in Lime Tech check and reply with my new server key?

My email address is in my profile.

Thanks

Order information:

Invoice No.: 12897  Order No.: 260932611  Date: 01/04/2015

Key sent.  Sorry for the delay.

I didn't notice that I had both of my keys on the replacement USB drive when I requested a new key. After attempting to request a replacement key for the second drive I found that I have one usb drive with a valid key but blacklisted drive and one usb drive with a blacklisted key.

For now I can run unraid on the flash drive with the blacklisted key but I would like to find out how to proceed to get a replacement key for the second new flash drive. Neither of my keys are now recognized as eligible to be replaced.

I didn't notice that I had both of my keys on the replacement USB drive when I requested a new key. After attempting to request a replacement key for the second drive I found that I have one usb drive with a valid key but blacklisted drive and one usb drive with a blacklisted key.

For now I can run unraid on the flash drive with the blacklisted key but I would like to find out how to proceed to get a replacement key for the second new flash drive. Neither of my keys are now recognized as eligible to be replaced.

It will check all keys until it finds the correct one so having multiple keys on the drive doesn't matter. I have both of my keys on both of my systems.

How did you get these blacklisted drives and blacklisted keys? They were blacklisted for a reason. You will have to contact [email protected] to get them replaced. They usually respond pretty quickly.

It will check all keys until it finds the correct one so having multiple keys on the drive doesn't matter. I have both of my keys on both of my systems.

How did you get these blacklisted drives and blacklisted keys? They were blacklisted for a reason. You will have to contact [email protected] to get them replaced. They usually respond pretty quickly.

I predicted this would happen.

Key 1 fails.

Restore backup containing all owned keys to Key 3.

Start server. Keys 1 and 2 are found, none match new USB GUID, so automatic replacement process is initiated.

Automatic replacement process picks Key 2 GUID for some reason, so the new license is assigned to Key 3, blacklisting Key 2's GUID.

End result, blacklisted GUID for still working Key 2, Key 1 has failed, and Key 3 has Key 2's license.

Short term solution, purchase another USB stick, find the correct license file for Key 1, and make sure that's the only key on the stick when you do the automatic replacement.

Long term solution, keep better track of which license file goes with which physical USB.

I'm drawing a blank on an effective way of keeping this from happening with the current automatic replacement system, short of denying a replacement if there are multiple license files on the key.

IIRC jonp stated in the forums that in the case of multiple keys on a stick during the replacement the automatic system would pick the first one it found to transfer the registration on which isn't necessarily what you want.  After he announced that I separated my keys and only keep what's tied to the stick on that stick

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I'm not getting it. Why would a key be blacklisted? I understand blacklisting a flash GUID. You get a replacement key for a replacement flash, and the original flash would be blacklisted so you couldn't have 2 that work when you had only paid for 1.

But what good is it to blacklist a key? It can't be used on another flash. Yes it could be used on the original flash, but since there is no phone home the blacklist has to be in the downloaded distribution, so you would still be able to use either the original flash or the original key until you installed a new distribution regardless of any blacklist.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here.

I'm not getting it. Why would a key be blacklisted? I understand blacklisting a flash GUID.

Not sure what you are saying ... a flash drive has a unique flash GUID -- and the key file simply allows that flash drive to run UnRAID at a specified level (Basic, Plus, or Pro).  Blacklisting a "key" is really just blacklisting a specific flash GUID -- I don't see any distinction.

I DO, however, agree that the process outlined above, which can result in the wrong key being replaced, needs to be addressed.  The SAFEST approach is to only put the key that actually belongs to a specific flash device on that device -- but if there are multiple key files on the unit, the replacement process should ASK which one to use.

I think that one of the other reasons specific GUID's can get blacklisted is to handle the case where a particular manufacturer of USB sticks does not have a unique GUID for each device they sell.  Over time the list of such devices probably gets extended as new devices that suffer from this are found.

OK, I get it now. I thought Danconio and jonathanm were saying that a key file was blacklisted. They were talking about the flash GUID that went with a key, which effectively blacklists the key.

So when he went to get a replacement for a new flash drive, it blacklisted the wrong flash based on just picking one of the keys it found on there.

I never had to use the online registration and still have the emails for both of my keys so I am good as far as sorting this out on my systems.

I do seem to recall some post or something saying we could put multiple keys on and it would check them all until it found the match. And I don't recall ever seeing anything that said we shouldn't do that now that we have online registration (which apparently includes online blacklisting).

OK, I get it now. I thought Danconio and jonathanm were saying that a key file was blacklisted. They were talking about the flash GUID that went with a key, which effectively blacklists the key.

So when he went to get a replacement for a new flash drive, it blacklisted the wrong flash based on just picking one of the keys it found on there.

I never had to use the online registration and still have the emails for both of my keys so I am good as far as sorting this out on my systems.

I do seem to recall some post or something saying we could put multiple keys on and it would check them all until it found the match. And I don't recall ever seeing anything that said we shouldn't do that now that we have online registration (which apparently includes online blacklisting).

Yeah, two unrelated ease of use options which unfortunately can collide in a bad way. The ability to put all your key files together on each key came well before the online key replacement system IIRC.

On array start, that still works.  unRaid will keep checking until it finds the appropriate key.  But on a registration transfer, none of the keys are going to match, so it has no choice but to pick one out of the hat.  ergo: only put a single key on the flash drive and you'll have no problems

On array start, that still works.  unRaid will keep checking until it finds the appropriate key.  But on a registration transfer, none of the keys are going to match, so it has no choice but to pick one out of the hat.  ergo: only put a single key on the flash drive and you'll have no problems

So just to clarify this for myself (and maybe others). If you are trying to register a replacement flash, only put the key for the flash you are trying to replace on the new flash drive.

... So just to clarify this for myself (and maybe others). If you are trying to register a replacement flash, only put the key for the flash you are trying to replace on the new flash drive.

Yes.  And while it's probably obvious, this means you should keep good records for your keys, so you KNOW which key goes with which flash drive.    e.g. I keep a folder on my desktop system called "UnRAID keys" -- and I keep a copy of every key I have renamed with the GUID. 

For example, a Pro key tied to GUID 1234 5678 1357 1234AB5678CD would be named:

Pro -1234 5678 1357 1234AB5678CD.key

Obviously, to use that key, I just copy it to the appropriate fllash drive and rename it to Pro.key

... only put a single key on the flash drive and you'll have no problems

Agree ... as I noted above, this is absolutely the "...  SAFEST approach " to ensuring you never have any key transfer issues like jonathanm outlined earlier.

New test for FCP maybe

Hmm. Since if a flash drive dies, the only files that matter are the backups, could you strip all unmatched key files out of the CA backup but leave them on the physical flash? I don't know if it's even possible to tell which file is in use at a given time without access to Tom's proprietary code.

If you could accomplish it, that would assure no collisions should it become necessary to use your backup to get a new key.

For example, a Pro key tied to GUID 1234 5678 1357 1234AB5678CD would be named:

Pro -1234 5678 1357 1234AB5678CD.key

Obviously, to use that key, I just copy it to the appropriate fllash drive and rename it to Pro.key

I don't think renaming it is necessary. Pretty sure the code checks all .key files.

Hmm. Since if a flash drive dies, the only files that matter are the backups, could you strip all unmatched key files out of the CA backup but leave them on the physical flash? I don't know if it's even possible to tell which file is in use at a given time without access to Tom's proprietary code.

Then its not a backup...  Decent idea, but I don't want to get into changing the files on the backup set for various reasons.

FCP can flag it and then leave it to the user to deal with it.

... I don't think renaming it is necessary. Pretty sure the code checks all .key files.

In retrospect, I think you're right.  I forget when that change was made, but now that you mention it, I do recall that it WAS made.    I still like my on-flash keys to be simply Plus.key or Pro.key, but I agree it isn't necessary.

• 3 months later...

I have been trying to get a Trial Key but I am not being sent one. It states Sorry, an error (403) occurred registering USB Flash GUID (gives ID number)

The error is: Your time/date is incorrect, please update it or enable NTP

I have adjusted all means known and nothing is working. It seems something is wrong and it can not send me a key. Any ideas here???

I have been trying to get a Trial Key but I am not being sent one. It states Sorry, an error (403) occurred registering USB Flash GUID (gives ID number)

The error is: Your time/date is incorrect, please update it or enable NTP

I have adjusted all means known and nothing is working. It seems something is wrong and it can not send me a key. Any ideas here???

Make sure your BIOS has the correct time and timezone. Then after booting make sure unRAID has the correct time and timezone.

I have checked both systems and both read the exact same time and date though from what I understand set time must be within 5 minutes of each other. They are seconds apart, so it should not be an issue I would think. I am really glad I did not pay for a key yet since this system seems to be very unsettled at times. If and when I am able to actually get a key, I hope this will not happen after paying for it for it seems free help from Lime-Tech is unfortunately very limited or Nil. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. I am not using a Hotmail address so that could not be an issue. I use Verizon email through my account. I tried using the NTP as well and still states the 403 error. Tried and succeeded in changing the time and date on both my computer and the bios of the server. I tried placing three of the Pool addresses as well. Same results. I am using a SuperMicro motherboard and I have checked in the manual as well for any ideas. Nothing seen there. Do you think that since the computer I am accessing the server site on is on WiFi and the server is on hard line connection it may be the issue for the time trouble?