'El Ilusionista' - My SFF unRAID Server

I originally had my unRAID server in a full size ATX case. While that worked fine, I wanted to downsize a bit to save some space and to make it fit in with the room decor a little better. I picked the Node 304 because I LOVE Fractal Design cases (have a Define R4 for my gaming computer). They're sleek, minimal, and quiet. Cable management was a PITA, but I think I did pretty well for the amount of space I had available to me. I named it 'El Ilusionista' after the second best soccer player in the world, Andres Iniesta. :) Let me know what you think!

CPU:  AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($69.99 @ NCIX)

Motherboard:  ASRock FM2A85M-ITX Mini ITX FM2 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Memory:  Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1066 Memory  (Already Owned) 

Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Already Owned) 

Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Already Owned)

Storage:  Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Already Owned)

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Already Owned) 

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Already Owned)

Cache:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Already Owned)

Case:  Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($69.99 @ NCIX)

Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply  (Already Owned)

Total: $239.97

2DvGOG5h.jpg

AXX6o3vh.jpg

3Lm1Qmph.jpg

lpCTmJOh.jpg

Xq4bTr2h.jpg

gpjZbYch.jpg

I'm interested in using this case for my father-in-laws build. How are the temps with all those drives in?

Well, the cache drive idles at ~30-32C, but that's with no other drives running usually. Once my monthly parity check starts on March 1, I'll let you know what the temps are like when they're all running. Also, if you haven't bought the case yet, NCIX has it for $64.99 with free shipping right now!

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=75056&promoid=1302

I had no reason to buy this case. But I did anyways. Le sigh.

It's an amazing case! You won't be disappointed. :)

Well, about 2 years ago I built my server. I had a mini itx motherboard with 6 onboard sata ports. I could add the super micro 8sata expansion card to get a total of 14. So, I bought a large steel rackmount style case which has been empty with a mini itx motherboard and 6 hard drives.

In 2 years I've gotten up to around 75% capacity of my 8TB of storage (I haven't started ripping BluRays yet...).

I'm at the point where if I want to add drives I would need to buy the supermicro card and a pro license for unraid. That is around $200 before the cost of hard drives.

Or, I can replace one of my 1TB hard drives with a larger one to get more expansion. If I buy a 4TB drive I eat around $200 anyways since it will just be used for parity. I now have a 1TB drive I could either use elsewhere or sell. I'm also prepared for 4TB drives instead of just 2TB with my current parity drive.

I figure that a smaller better looking case is more reasonable since it is sitting in my livingroom TV stand in a relatively small apartment. I could always re-purpose or resell the case if I ever really need to expand my # of hard drives.

At least this is what I've convinced myself of.

I had no reason to buy this case. But I did anyways. Le sigh.

It's an amazing case! You won't be disappointed. :)

Well, about 2 years ago I built my server. I had a mini itx motherboard with 6 onboard sata ports. I could add the super micro 8sata expansion card to get a total of 14. So, I bought a large steel rackmount style case which has been empty with a mini itx motherboard and 6 hard drives.

In 2 years I've gotten up to around 75% capacity of my 8TB of storage (I haven't started ripping BluRays yet...).

I'm at the point where if I want to add drives I would need to buy the supermicro card and a pro license for unraid. That is around $200 before the cost of hard drives.

Or, I can replace one of my 1TB hard drives with a larger one to get more expansion. If I buy a 4TB drive I eat around $200 anyways since it will just be used for parity. I now have a 1TB drive I could either use elsewhere or sell. I'm also prepared for 4TB drives instead of just 2TB with my current parity drive.

I figure that a smaller better looking case is more reasonable since it is sitting in my livingroom TV stand in a relatively small apartment. I could always re-purpose or resell the case if I ever really need to expand my # of hard drives.

At least this is what I've convinced myself of.

Sounds like the right plan to me. The case looks great wherever you put it. Very sleek and minimal.