parity checking very slow since moving to ESXi

vincheesel

Hi guys,

I've updated my hardware on the server recently to the point of over kill for an unRAID server so I did some research and virtualised it to take full advantage of its resources.

I'm currently running ESXi 5.1, I have an adaptec 1430SA and 8 onboard ports (ASUS P8Z77-Pro Motherboard)

its a core i5-3550 processor with 16GB RAM.

The adaptec is configured in a pass-through mode (Its not detected by ESXi but manages to pass-through nicely) and my onboard is configured as a Sata RAW Device mapping - LSI SAS.

unRAID seems to work well, I can transfer files at 20-30mb which I am happy with - however since moving to ESXi the Parity runs extremely slow. on average 500kb-1mb which is not practical

I have 11 Drives in total in this unraid

1430SA is running 4x 3TB Seagate Drives (one acting as the parity)

Onboard running 5x 2TB Seagate Drives + 1x 1.5 Seagate drive + 1TB Seagate Cache drive

ESXi is running on an onboard sata III port via SSD - unRAID is running as a VMDK with the usb key for the serial.

What do you think my problem is here guys?

Should I try move my parity to onboard? - Everything else seems to work nicely

Anyone got any advice for me?

I'm thinking of possibly getting a basic controller to run the SSD off and then passing though the onboard drives.

• 2 weeks later...

sure would like to see some more discussion on this.  My monthly parity check takes about 3 days (at about 5.8mb/sec). 

Everything else is very slow during the checks but still on the right side of usability (but just barely).

• 3 weeks later...

I just started off my first in-esxi parity check. Starts off at 68.4 MB/Sec.

My VM is build up as follows:

Bare metal specs:

See signature

All disks on vt-d passthru thru 2 supermicro MV8 controllers

VM specs:

4096 MB

2 CPU''s

Network adaptor VMXNET 3

Thin provisioning

Guest operating system setup as Ubuntu Linux 32bit (you do not get the vmxnet3 adaptor without that).

The VM is started via the normal usb stick. I am running RC5 V12a.

Within the VM I am running fully stock Unraid with only Airvideo and VMTools as plugin. Its rocksolid and low on resources.