Purchasing Keys From Others

I am selling my 3 keys, but the buyer does not want the usb flash devices.

Do i need to send a e-mail to you with his GUID's or can he foreward a e-mail from me with my registration info and his GUID's himself.

Mine will than be revoked and he will get 3 new ones?

Tom will have to clarify, but that is NOT what he said he will do. He specifically said he will change the associated ID, not issue new licenses. Since there is no ongoing key check, revocation is not a viable business model. Those keys would be usable with all previous versions of unraid, which would be very counterproductive to Tom. If you want to send those USB keys physically to Tom instead of the prospective buyer, it might work, but that's a lot of hassle for Tom.

I suggest renegotiating with the buyer, or contact Tom directly.

I truly question whom this policy really benefits. Yes it allows an after market in licenses but incurring workload of Limetech (i.e time) and no profit.

Its an unusually nice thing for a company to do but I certainly wouldn't have committed to it in a million years.

Especially since the second hand prices are still pretty serious to the end user.

I truly question whom this policy really benefits. Yes it allows an after market in licenses but incurring workload of Limetech (i.e time) and no profit.

Its an unusually nice thing for a company to do but I certainly wouldn't have committed to it in a million years.

Especially since the second hand prices are still pretty serious to the end user.

+1

+1

I don't see this being much different than a failed flash drive. In both cases Limetech has to send a new key file with the updated GUID and there is no profit involved.

+1

I don't see this being much different than a failed flash drive. In both cases Limetech has to send a new key file with the updated GUID and there is no profit involved.

It's completely different. If there is no license transfer available, then new licenses are all sold at full going price, instead of some being resales with no profit to Tom. Failed keys are handled as a "warranty" with the original purchaser.

Honestly, I think Tom should be at least charging a handling fee to cover his time to transfer an existing license to a new entity.

What we are talking about here is the ability of an owner to sell something they purchased legally. In this case the owner purchased a license not a usb drive. So why can't they sell their unraid liscence to a third party?

A license is not a physical product, it's more like a contract, and it's regulated differently than a physical object.

What we are talking about here is the ability of an owner to sell something they purchased legally. In this case the owner purchased a license not a usb drive. So why can't they sell their unraid liscence to a third party?

A license is not a physical product, it's more like a contract, and it's regulated differently than a physical object.

Actually that depends on where you live. How about you take a read of this recent court ruling - EU court legalises second-hand software

The European Union Court of Justice’s decision is important in that it strips away the line that divides sale of a licence from sale of a product.

I also find it somewhat ironic that users of a product that is built on top of open source software are in favor of restricting the transfer of legally purchased software.

Actually that depends on where you live. How about you take a read of this recent court ruling - EU court legalises second-hand software

The European Union Court of Justice’s decision is important in that it strips away the line that divides sale of a licence from sale of a product.

Yep. And Tom lives and sells out of the USA, which is not the EU.

Yep. And Tom lives and sells out of the USA, which is not the EU.

The point was not that Tom should follow EU laws but the fact that a license is treated differently than a physical product is not universal and that distinction was just eliminated in the EU. The EU is the largest economy in the world so I'd say that is a fairly significant ruling.
I also find it somewhat ironic that users of a product that is built on top of open source software are in favor of restricting the transfer of legally purchased software.
I'm in favor of Tom being able to continue to make a living by doing work that I (and others) are willing to pay him to do. Just because some have donated their work product to the world doesn't mean others can't negotiate terms to add value to that work. Tom's closed source code is his work, just because it happens to run on a platform developed by others doesn't make his work fair game for everyone to copy and share without paying him. It's his work, he can offer whatever terms he desires, and you can make the decision to pay him and use it, or move to another solution with terms you like better. So far he has granted virtually lifetime licenses with no extra charges for new versions with added functionality. That is far different than many other software packages, which charge for upgrades.

Being that I originally started this thread asking a question I want to point out that I thanked Tom profusely for helping me out when I purchased a used license/flash drive. Had he not transferred the license to my name I would have continued to use the license the original seller provided me with their name. That being said I also purchased additionally licensing from Tom literally the next day and again gave him more money. I appreciate his time and effort with the product and have no problem with paying him his normal licensing fee which I would have originally done had I not encountered someone selling their key with usb drive.

That being said, I agree that the user above who wanted to sell his licenses without the flash drive took what Tom said out of context. Tom did not state that you could just sell your license but keep your drives. That makes no business sense what so ever. I'm sorry that you purchased incredibly expensive flash drives that are ridiculously huge for use with UnRaid, truthfully I don't know how you would fill them, but unfortunately when selling the license used to me it makes sense that the price of the flash drive should be negligible.

Sorry that's my rant. Thanks again to Tom for creating an awesome product and selling it at fair prices. I plan to purchase more keys myself in the future and I have been recommending UnRaid to my friends and family.

Had he not transferred the license to my name I would have continued to use the license the original seller provided me with their name.

He registered my name as the paying paypal email which wasn't mine, now it's not registered to me but instead someone I know.  :'(

I'll live.

I'm quite sure Tom does not have any present means in place to revoke a flash drive license. Once you have a .key file and the flash then you can run any version of unRAID and he can't presently stop it. There is no blacklist system setup in the distribution that would disallow certain drives from being used. That said, his re-issue of a new key file for a failed drive is very much an act of faith that you're telling the truth.

On a similar note, there are some USB devices without a unique GUID and he tries to track them and blacklist them so he doesn't produce a key file for them. However, a few key files have slipped through and the buyers of those ones ~could~ share the file and associated USB device on the internet so anyone could setup a free version of unRAID pro.

Once you have a .key file and the flash then you can run any version of unRAID and he can't presently stop it.

Not true.

So, say I were to chargeback on paypal (don't worry, I'm not) you'd be able to disable my licence?

Only reason why that confuses me is because I've loaded unraid up without internet access and it still verified that I was pro. The only way I can see you blocking me is if you pushed a patch that either:-

A. Forced me to be online

B. Blocked my key file in a manual patch, however, I'd still be able to use R5C11 and below.

I never intende to sell my licenses without the usb keys.

The person who responded does not want them ( perhaps price related)

If this kind of a sale is not possible, so be it. Than i will need to sell them with the keys and lower my price i guess.

A clear answer would be nice, and now it are interpretations form other users.

English is not my native language so perhaps i misunderstood things.

Once you have a .key file and the flash then you can run any version of unRAID and he can't presently stop it.

Not true.

So, say I were to chargeback on paypal (don't worry, I'm not) you'd be able to disable my licence?

Only reason why that confuses me is because I've loaded unraid up without internet access and it still verified that I was pro. The only way I can see you blocking me is if you pushed a patch that either:-

A. Forced me to be online

B. Blocked my key file in a manual patch, however, I'd still be able to use R5C11 and below.

i think what tom was saying no to was the "any version of unraid" part.

Hmmm, the blacklist must be in the release code. The ability to still use the key would depend on how well it's hidden then and how much work someone would want to do to get around the issue. Still, any version up to the one where the blacklisting occurred could be used.

I know I've read about a few devices without unique GUID's getting a key file. I believe one was issued for a USB SD card reader. The owner of that key file must have been required to register a new device for updates if that device is blacklisted in newer releases.

I think if I were to sell my 2 Pro licenses, I should make sure to sell the USB stick with it. That way I wouldn't have to bother Tom.

Best chance to do that is with 2 good quality not too expensive sticks like 4 GB Lexar Fireflys.

Tom has always been very helpfull to me even when I killed two sticks in a row. I got a new key within a day.