DEFIANT - My silent mid-tower unRAID server

Hey JimmieJoe,

I got my parts and have started installing.

I LOVE the case!

One dumb question - where the heck is the HDD LED? I mean physically on the case?

- or will it be obvious once I start hitting the drives?

Looking at the front, power LED is on the bottom right.  Hard drive LED is on the top right, it lights up through the triangle on the door.

Yeah - I found the hard drive LED when I started the preclrear.

I have been up and running with 3 old 1TB drives I have on hand for 3 days and no errors.

Now for the unRAID PRO license (I have 6 4TB drives on order from Amazon).

I'll let you know how I progress.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are these the drives you're using?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338

... and I gather that there's no issue using 4TB drives with the C2SEA and Adaptec 1430sa's -- right?

Nice to know I can upgrade my older UnRAID box to 4TB drives  :)

Question:  With all 4TB drives, what write-speeds are you seeing to the protected array?  [i.e. without using the cache drive -- you can check this by writing directly to one of the array drives instead of a share]

... and what kind of read speeds do you get?

Are these the drives you're using?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338

... and I gather that there's no issue using 4TB drives with the C2SEA and Adaptec 1430sa's -- right?

Nice to know I can upgrade my older UnRAID box to 4TB drives  :)

Question:  With all 4TB drives, what write-speeds are you seeing to the protected array?  [i.e. without using the cache drive -- you can check this by writing directly to one of the array drives instead of a share]

... and what kind of read speeds do you get?

Yes, those are the drives.  I bought mine as external's and removed the drives, but the same drive.  I did a quick test copying a 3.5GB file from a windows client over gigabit ethernet.  I see writes at 35 MB/s to a parity protected disk.  Write to cache are 105 MB/s.  Reads are 115 MB/s. 

Temps usually hover in the high 20's to low 30's.  During parity checks mid-high 30's with a few into the low 40's.  That's with the fan controller on the middle speed.

No issues for me with the 14030sa's and the C2SEA.  You may need to update the firmware on the adaptec cards, but that's pretty painless.

Thanks.  Nice to know my C2SEA can be upgraded with > 2TB drives.    Don't need the space now ... but hard disk space requirements have a way of growing over time  :)

I suspect the next time I need to add space, I'll bite the bullet and replace both the parity and one of the data drives with 4TB drives ... and then slowly start migrating the smaller (1.5TB) drives to 4TB.