Does anyone know if HDD companies allow RMAing in a different country?

Automatic

IMHO it is country based, as with other goods, like cameras, as well.

If you are a consumer and are able to proof that you bought from an official Dealer (provisioned from a official distributor/wholesaler) in that market, like the US

normally a "foreign" Dealer or Wholesaler, like in the EU would acknowledge your warranty.

IMHO European law requires them to do this (not for greymarket goods of course) but companies

are not required to make it a smooth experience for you.

If its the same company I don't see a problem.

The only issue that may get in the way is on self encrypting drives.  The us does not allow for export of self encrypting drives. This has to do with National Defense and FIPS.

So if your in one of the 6 eyes nations no problem. However if your from a nation outside of these 6 you could run into some issues.

If its the same company I don't see a problem.

The only issue that may get in the way is on self encrypting drives.  The us does not allow for export of self encrypting drives. This has to do with National Defense and FIPS.

So if your in one of the 6 eyes nations no problem. However if your from a nation outside of these 6 you could run into some issues.

Not same country, I'm from the UK. Also, I honestly couldn't care less if it's a "Self encrypting drive", nobody is going to run into my household and read my data, and, even if they did, who cares?

I should have given more info...

I've successfully rmaed in Spain WD drives bought in the US.

Right now I'm trying to do the same with a Seagate

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Fair enough, if worst comes to the worst I guess I'll have to pay someone in the US to RMA it for me (Or wait until the next time I go round there).

In Europe its different from the USA. I live in Holland and RMA's several WD20EARS with advance replacement. I RMAd a Samsung drive through Seagate without advance replacement. When I have to go through a dealer and have to rely on them things can become very lengthy, this is the case with Toshiba disks. I cant deal directly with Toshiba. For me the easiest and quickest replacement it Western Digital. I can have a replacement drive in 4-5 days after which I return the defective one to WD Germany. I have to pay for the return though.